Oh.. G*ddammit!!!

sergiodeblanc

I'm about to throw a BF! I've been tryin' to build a pedalboard that'll fit into my cute little man-purse, I thought I had it all figured out, but there always has to be something that goes wrong.

The idea was to have the little Zoom G3 handle compression, modulation, filter, a single delay, tuner, and maybe an amp model if I wanted/needed to go direct,all effects being individually switchable, and then have the two MS50's handle chain-based effects with tap tempo. In theory, it should totally work, individually they work, but together..... G*ddammit!!!!
The tuner on the G3 sucks and in order to have the delay tails not get chopped off I had to add an external pedal, which is fine, I'm working around it. That's why I have that little Ensoniq sustain pedal on there, and it's kinda cool 'cause it's big and I can leave the delay always on, and the pedal just mutes its input and leaves the other three switches readily available. The MS50's tuner works like a champ and allows you to engage a chain of effects with a single stomp, but it can get a little noisey and it makes you choose between tap tempo and the tuner, which is fine, I'll work around it...

The problem I'm having is that when I plug them all in together I get this terrible high-pitched noise and everything farts out. Take one pedal away and everything works fine. I've tried powering the stuff with batteries, through a USB hub, and wall-warts, and NO DICE! Same goes with different cables, and I darn-tooting made sure I kept the power lines and audio lines separate so it's not RF leaking into things through there. I got to the point where I was trying to power each one of these lil' bastids with different combos of the above when I finally threw a tantrum (which really just amounts to me pouting and whining in this post since I'm not that aggro of a dude).

WHY?!?! Why can't I have what I want when I want it? Just one time? (Yes, I'm being melodramatic here..) I know so much about setting up this kinda stuff, I was born in the 70's and have been using digital effects processors since the f@ckin' Yamaha SPX 50D I bought in high school. I've had refrigerator racks my whole life and I just wanna have something that will fit in my carry-on! She-oot.. I've been through every brand of processor and every one of them compromises something, and I'm not doing pedals or a rack and a controller... Well, maybe I will be.

You, my good man, need a fruity drink and a smoke, then come back at it again after you've mellowed out. :beer:

Dude - chill, get your fruity drink and take a deep Bang Stallions breath. You're clearly overlooking the obvious.

You have black cables.

And white cable ties.

That high-pitched noise isn't from your pedals, it's your fashion alarm!

Hmmm, I'm puzzled Serg....I mean this should work just fine by Mazda standards....zoom, zoom, zoom.

Have you tried a different pedal in place of the unplugged MS50? I know you want this combo but it might at least tell you if it's specifically those 3 that won't cooperate in line together.

Those look cool, thanks!

Hmmm, I'm puzzled Serg....I mean this should work just fine by Mazda standards....zoom, zoom, zoom.

Have you tried a different pedal in place of the unplugged MS50? I know you want this combo but it might at least tell you if it's specifically those 3 that won't cooperate in line together.

Ha! Yeah, right! It should work!

Nah, I haven't tried a different one yet. Part of the reason why I liked this one was 'cause I didn't have to decide what to put there.

Those look cool, thanks!

Ha! Yeah, right! It should work!

Nah, I haven't tried a different one yet. Part of the reason why I liked this one was 'cause I didn't have to decide what to put there.

Maybe a filtered power supply like a voodolabs or something would clean the power up.

I was going to suggest looking at the power supplies. Are you using the OEM one from the G3X?

Also, have you tried powering everything up, but separated by a couple of feet? Maybe one of the units is interfering with the others, RF-wise...

Actually you might need the digital for that multi-effects.

Thing is, if you've powered everything with batteries, I'm not sure any ISO power supply like the voodoo will change anything?

Thing is, if you've powered everything with batteries, I'm not sure any ISO power supply like the voodoo will change anything?

Thats true but could still be a grounding issue since they will ground via the cable when on battery power. I'd almost bet isolatin. Those pedals would fix the issue.

It's the nature of certain multiple digital multi-effect processors in a single signal chain. I used to have multiple Line6 digital effect processors. I couldn't use more than one on my pedal board because of the same problem you're having. Guys at Talkbass had a technical explanation. Using one Line6 digital pedal along with analogue pedals was OK for me.

Back