Oh boy. More potential wallet strain

Absolutely phenomenal AND 34 sound combinations??

tenor.gif

Guys, while it’s different in certain respects, my 20th PS Anniversary Model (Northern Lights) is a 3 pickup guitar with the earlier Paul’s pickups, and a 57/08 Narrowfield in the middle. It also has the Gen III PS Trem.

It is easily the most beautiful sounding guitar I own, and has the greatest variety of tones of any guitar I have. The locking trem saddles hold the tuning (whether or not I use the trem) better than any of my other models.

This new one is droolsome.

My guess is that some may not be crazy about the appearance of the switch layout, etc., but there’s a whole lot of functionality in the switches, and the layout seems to make ergonomic sense (obviously I haven’t played one).

I kind of wish I could split the coils on mine, because I think on the Narrowfields, splitting does make better sense than with standard humbuckers, as 408s are the most like a single coil when split.

The tones on the V seem really good split. Really good (I said that again for emphasis ;)). I also have to say that the ability to go between 250 and 500 K is brilliant.

My guess is that some may not be crazy about the appearance of the switch layout, etc., but there’s a whole lot of functionality in the switches, and the layout seems to make ergonomic sense (obviously I haven’t played one).

I kind of wish I could split the coils on mine, because I think on the Narrowfields, splitting does make better sense than with standard humbuckers, as 408s are the most like a single coil when split.

The tones on the V seem really good split. Really good (I said that again for emphasis ;)). I also have to say that the ability to go between 250 and 500 K is brilliant.
250<->500 in combination with those pickups, is the most awesome feature of this guitar

Interesting they’ve moved away from rosewood necks and are still calling this a ME... that kinda seemed to be the common point of continuity throughout the line.

Completely agree. If it was a Brazilian RW neck I would be stuffing my CC into the internet right now. As it is I just really want one, but not enough to make it a instabuy.

I guess for that kind of cash you can see about spacing your own PS with a rosewood neck.

Completely agree. If it was a Brazilian RW neck I would be stuffing my CC into the internet right now. As it is I just really want one, but not enough to make it a instabuy.

I guess for that kind of cash you can see about spacing your own PS with a rosewood neck.

The Paul’s Guitar replaced the ME. This is really more an extension of that model, with a dollop of Super Eagle thrown in.

My guess is that a rosewood neck might result in a thicker tone; with this guitar, and the taps and splits, perhaps they were going for a more adaptable tone, especially with the switchable resistor and single coil modes. The maple neck will help bring out the single coil vibe.

Of course, I’m only guessing, and heck, it’s PS, so might as well spec what you want! :)

If they added another switch or push/pull pot, they could have different tone cap values and have 68 sounds.

I can't even do the math of how many sounds there would be if there was a piezo bridge...

The Paul’s Guitar replaced the ME. This is really more an extension of that model, with a dollop of Super Eagle thrown in.

Seems more to me like a 534.. like an expansion of the 513 with a shorter scale length or something? Maybe even a Super Paul’s guitar?

It just doesn’t read as a “Modern Eagle” without the rosewood neck...Not that it matters, it’s just quite a divergence from the last four guitars of the series.

Also, no Modern Eagle logo seems like an odd decision unless they’re waiting to see if the initial 120 pieces move, and are saving that for the production guitars? I get that they’re PS guitars but...

I really don’t mean to sound negative about the guitar, I personally find it more intriguing than previous ME models for my own preferences, it’s just... I don’t really grasp why it’s called a Modern Eagle, or what a Modern Eagle is supposed mean now.

Seems more to me like a 534.. like an expansion of the 513 with a shorter scale length or something? Maybe even a Super Paul’s guitar?

It just doesn’t read as a “Modern Eagle” without the rosewood neck...Not that it matters, it’s just quite a divergence from the last four guitars of the series.

Also, no Modern Eagle logo seems like an odd decision unless they’re waiting to see if the initial 120 pieces move, and are saving that for the production guitars? I get that they’re PS guitars but...

I really don’t mean to sound negative about the guitar, I personally find it more intriguing than previous ME models for my own preferences, it’s just... I don’t really grasp why it’s called a Modern Eagle, or what a Modern Eagle is supposed mean now.
The rumor is that PRS had similar thoughts. So, concerned, they had some DNA tests run, and discovered that genetically it is primarily eagle, despite appearances, with some mutations on chromosomes 408, 513, and 509. Just a rumor though

David Gilmour needs to have one of these! :) Might replace the rest of his electrics :eek:

These new TCI pickups sound great (again). Switching system and the 250k to 500k pot toggle is a nice wrinkle. I’m wondering how the TCIs would sound with a RW neck - might be something to their frequency focus that doesn’t play well (on SC mode?), hence the focus thus far on Mahogany and Maple necks with them.

The rumor is that PRS had similar thoughts. So, concerned, they had some DNA tests run, and discovered that genetically it is primarily eagle, despite appearances, with some mutations on chromosomes 408, 513, and 509. Just a rumor though

MEV: “Umm... Dad?”

MEQ: “Yes, son?”

MEV: “How come mine doesn’t look like yours?”

MEQ: “I’m sorry, son. You got your mom’s ..... uh, neck.”

I’m reminded of an old gag line from a vintage early 60s comedy album with a track called ‘My Son, the Captain’. So I’ll paraphrase...

By me, you’re no modern eagle, by your mother you’re no modern eagle, but by Paul Reed Smith you’re a modern eagle.

Back