Off-Topic: What to Do with Your Stimulus?

When I first heard about the stimulus, my reaction was "we don't need it". And we don't - I don't know what kind of shape the economy is gonna be in or what it's gonna do to our income, but if we get to the point where $2400 between my wife and I is a problem, it's gonna be the least of our problems. But my son-in-law got laid off and he and my daughter are now trying to get through this on her salary. So we gave it to them, because they DO need it. I was figuring I'd give it to people who needed it more than we did right from the start, and it turns out there are two such people in my family, so it became a really easy call... He was on the verge of taking a job that would have put him at some pretty serious risk and would have had him away from home several nights a week - they just got married in October and they don't need ANY of that right now. So we, and his folks, urged him not to take it. They'll get through it and we'll help them to the extent they need and we can.

-Ray

Ray,

First of all, kudos on your helping your son-in-law and your daughter...and please forgive me, no disrespect, my job offer was only lending a "hand-up," not so much a "hand-out" that many feel is the right way to do things, but doesn't provide a more permanent solution.

Just for clarification, what job was you son-in-law offered? This might help ease people's minds regards both of what we said...

Our government isn’t doing anything like this. I’m happy to see them targeting people in need - programs similar to other things the US is doing, and many other countries.

I would just give the money away anyway, but I have to admit that it has been challenging to decide who to help. There are so many people who are, or are going to struggle.

Ray,

First of all, kudos on your helping your son-in-law and your daughter...and please forgive me, no disrespect, my job offer was only lending a "hand-up," not so much a "hand-out" that many feel is the right way to do things, but doesn't provide a more permanent solution.

Just for clarification, what job was you son-in-law offered? This might help ease people's minds regards both of what we said...
Oh hey, nothing to apologize for. I happened to post after you, but I wasn't responding to your offer to try to hook someone up with a possible employment opportunity. I think that's wonderful - I don't think I even saw it until I'd posted my bit. I should probably find out about what your company is looking for and pass it on to him.

He's a really mechanical guy and his previous job, which he loved, was taking care of all of the espresso machines for a chain of coffee places in the region where they live. He'd drive around, maintain the machines, hang with the baristas, occasionally take one back to the shop and give them a loaner and overhaul the one he took back. But they closed all but one location and that was only open for drive through, so they laid off almost everyone, and I'm sure they'll try to bring back as many of them as possible when this ends, depending on what things look like then. I'm not entirely sure what this other job he didn't take was - I think it was taking care of industrial equipment for a company that's manufacturing something that's still considered pretty necessary, but I don't know what it was. But they have plants around a 3-4 state region and he'd have been traveling with a group of guys (who he met and didn't see spending days and nights with), staying in probably cheap hotels, eating wherever they could scratch together meals since restaurants aren't open. And just giving himself every opportunity to get sick. It would have paid more than unemployment, but not enough to take those risks for, if there's an amount that is.

I don't know if he'd be even remotely qualified for what your company is looking for, but if you want to PM the link to your company's website, I'll pass it on to him.

-Ray

Not sure yet. If we get a check, we are thinking about a winter vacation with the kids. Both are in college and spring break got cancelled. My daughter was accepted to a study abroad program in London, England this summer which was cancelled (She is rightfully devastated). We are thinking about a ski trip to Colorado or Utah.

if it were up to me, which its not, I would use my half on another PRS, or car parts that I really don't need. But, because it is not up to me it will be squirreled away in a undisclosed savings account somewhere, that I don't have access to. It might go to pay for vacation when we're free to roam again, which would be nice.

Not sure yet. If we get a check, we are thinking about a winter vacation with the kids. Both are in college and spring break got cancelled. My daughter was accepted to a study abroad program in London, England this summer which was cancelled (She is rightfully devastated). We are thinking about a ski trip to Colorado or Utah.

Study in a foreign country has become quite popular among college upperclassmen.

Had college turned out better for me I might have used my college education for a career in my field of study. Yet, unforeseen circumstances took an unusual turn, and a collegiate career never happened for me. Am I bitter? No, actually, I'm happier because the workload I would have been required to do would have made me an emotional and physical wreck before I'd have advanced out of my entry level position in my field of study. Instead, I began working in a retail environment, where I became good at what I do each week: working with the public and handling my job responsibilities with minimal supervision.

At first, my boss wasn't sure I'd do well, now, he trusts me to complete my tasks without complaint. What's the catch? My boss never demands more than I can handle, and delegates responsibility when things need to be done. I like my job, and would like to continue working there until the day comes when my health prevents me from working anymore.

if it were up to me, which its not, I would use my half on another PRS, or car parts that I really don't need. But, because it is not up to me it will be squirreled away in a undisclosed savings account somewhere, that I don't have access to. It might go to pay for vacation when we're free to roam again, which would be nice.

Then the wiser course of action would be to set the money aside in an account that earns appreciable interest until the money is needed. Just remember, that real money is needed to pay for necessities. Don't let someone take your money unless you receive something of value in return. That's only good business practice.

I have a Ford with an Ecoboost engine that decided to turn its crankshaft into shrapnel. I have a family of 5 and the stimulus check will barely cover a third of the replacement cost. But, that’s a heck of a lot better than no stimulus check :confused:

I'm hoping that you basic needs are taken care of. And that you don't have any outstanding bills or payments that need addressing. Regards the $75K stimulus cap, there are higher income brackets that receive less than the predetermined amount in varying degrees. Although I'm not sure what these numbers are, and I don't wish to get your hopes up, but there still may be a distribution in your favor above $75K...
Ironically, this current state of affairs is directly affecting my income. Can't close loans for people who are off work, even temporarily. While some will close when they go back to work, some will certainly fall out.

That said, we ain't gettin' no stimulus check. And what they are paying would only replace about one closed loan. Not even pay the taxes on the 15 or more it's costing me right now...

I wonder why the cap is not adjusted for cost of living. Even the military recognizes that different parts of the country have different costs of living.

I spent a lot of money this year buying masks and groceries and such for others...

I suspect that food prices are going to rise. It does appear that a lot of the shortages were caused by people who raided the stores looking to profiteer after things got bad. For example yeast and flour are nowhere to found in my area. There is a seller on Amazon who is selling 4oz jars of Fleischman’s yeast for $57.00 when this item usually sells for under $5.00. Luckily, making a sour dough culture is not rocket science.

Get ready to open that change purse...

covidinstruments.jpg

Then the wiser course of action would be to set the money aside in an account that earns appreciable interest until the money is needed. Just remember, that real money is needed to pay for necessities. Don't let someone take your money unless you receive something of value in return. That's only good business practice.
I have been fortunate in that we both still have jobs. Although I really think I am non-essential, my bosses think otherwise. The stimulus is a nice to have thing, but really not needed right now. So, it will be locked away in a rainy fund for safe keeping.

Don't think my wife and I qualify for the stimulus...plus we are lucky enough to both be considered Essential.
But we will up our game with our 2-3 favorite local restaurants...currently splitting time at each.
Carry Out throughout the week, and especially weekends. (For those that are local...Spargo's, Greenmount Station, China Manor)
But we do plan on getting a night or two away once the quarantine is lifted to go "toofin"
(fossiling) down at one of the local spots for fossilized sharks teeth/bones/etc...
Great hobby, and we miss it ALOT!!!!

Everyone stay safe!!!

For those of you who are reporting no check is coming because you're essential, where is that info coming from?

My co-workers and I are essential - several of the people in my office have received their checks.

No attack or anything, just curious.

For those of you who are reporting no check is coming because you're essential, where is that info coming from?

My co-workers and I are essential - several of the people in my office have received their checks.

No attack or anything, just curious.

Mike,

IIRC, "essential" has little to do with whether you receive a stimulus check or not. It's whether you earned less than $75K last year, or above that, that will determine whether you receive the promised $1200 per taxpayer/$500 per dependent child or in decreasing incremental amounts above $75K.

And, yes, the Fed stork arrived this morning, thankfully.

Back