Off-Topic: What to Do with Your Stimulus?

CandidPicker

Tone Matters. Use It Well.
OK,

This is for folks who are not as adversely affected by the pandemic and still have a steady income from whatever sources they may.

As crass as this might seem, what do any of you have planned for your extra income soon to arrive gifted by Uncle Sam? If your basic needs are already paid for, what luxury item might you consider with your stimulus check?

My wish list:

Replace an antiquated, no longer technically supported audio interface device for a recent model updated one. I just need to ask my sales rep some pointed questions regards the device, and will soon opt for this item once my stimulus check clears. Might even be able to offer my old device to folks who are running Mojave on their Mac computers for low cost.

The only stimulus I’m getting is from my wife kicking me in the butt and telling me to get going on the long overdue honey do list. Yet, here I am reading and posting as opposed to cleaning the basement. I need more stim apparently.

The only stimulus I’m getting is from my wife kicking me in the butt and telling me to get going on the long overdue honey do list. Yet, here I am reading and posting as opposed to cleaning the basement. I need more stim apparently.

Once the morning fog lifts, I'm sure that basement will look neat & tidy. Here's a thought for you that helped move me toward exercise just prior to last year's holidays...

JDIEVSU.jpg

Probably gonna make it rain towards delivery people, small shops, and restaurants we frequent.

There’s two of us and a child credit so...

That is commendable. Local businesses will appreciate this. I hope to make it back to my old open-mic once gathering restrictions are lifted...hope to ask my nephew whose source of income was cut back because of restrictions with some home-cooked meals and a few evenings on the town together...

Once the morning fog lifts, I'm sure that basement will look neat & tidy. Here's a thought for you that helped move me toward exercise just prior to last year's holidays...

JDIEVSU.jpg

That is commendable. Local businesses will appreciate this. I hope to make it back to my old open-mic once gathering restrictions are lifted...hope to ask my nephew whose source of income was cut back because of restrictions with some home-cooked meals and a few evenings on the town together...

That’s rad of you...And thanks for showing up to work, Bob! Spend that money like you earned it, because you totally did. My wife, son, and I all have the luxury of staying at home.

I gots no check coming because Uncle Sam assumes that if a person made a certain income in 2019 then they are unaffected by the 2020 Coronavirus/economic downturn.

Yes, I’m a tiny bit bitter. Lol.

But if I were getting a check, I’d either buy a new AR (in .300 blackout), a new amp, or a new business computer.

Think I'll hang on to it for a little while, just to make sure things at work stay chill. If they do, I'll likely donate a portion of it to a worthy cause. I have to suck up a two week furlough between now and the end of June. Apparently, I can file for unemployment benefits. We'll be ok with out it, but I decided that I would file and donate that money, for sure.

That’s rad of you...And thanks for showing up to work, Bob! Spend that money like you earned it, because you totally did. My wife, son, and I all have the luxury of staying at home.

Yup, my workplace is still open to the public, with limited hours. This past week I asked for time off and the boss happily granted...now this week arrives and I'll be back at things...management is supplying modest PPE (masks, gloves, protective plexi customer distancing at the registers, hourly cleaning routines at kiosks, touch surfaces, etc).

My main worry is what's happening higher up the food chain at the warehouse level...need to be reassured carton handlers / packers are healthy. And that what we put on shelves is safe for customers. Don't wish to be making waves with management, but these are questions I'd like answered for both my and customers' safety...

Think I'll hang on to it for a little while, just to make sure things at work stay chill. If they do, I'll likely donate a portion of it to a worthy cause. I have to suck up a two week furlough between now and the end of June. Apparently, I can file for unemployment benefits. We'll be ok with out it, but I decided that I would file and donate that money, for sure.

Likely a wise move. That 2-week furlough may be the thing you need to step back and recharge those batteries. You've been through an extra helping of suck recently, that might translate to time well spent away from the daily grind.

As much as I enjoy my single life, my heart goes out to families who are forced to spend time in close quarters. If memory serves, doctors know that being confined with others can have an adverse effect on our health. That's why I suggested in past posts that with a good diet, you need fresh air and exercise.

Spend some time outdoors where you can clear your head, especially if you've experienced illness, job loss, loss of a loved one...this will actually help you sort out your feelings and help you focus more clearly on the the future...I know this because I've been through similar things in the past, and was given this advice for my benefit.

After tithe, we got to replace the money we’ve already spent in preparation for this event to be as long as it has turned out to be. Once the lid is on the virus, I’m going to eat an entire Mexican food restaurant. We plan to spend a chunk at local stores closed by the government as “non-essential.” The rest will get back into the economy via a vacation to replace Experience 2020. I’m sure the hotels, airlines, and vacation spots can use the income.

I gots no check coming because Uncle Sam assumes that if a person made a certain income in 2019 then they are unaffected by the 2020 Coronavirus/economic downturn. Yes, I’m a tiny bit bitter. Lol. But if I were getting a check, I’d either buy a new AR (in .300 blackout), a new amp, or a new business computer.

I'm hoping that you basic needs are taken care of. And that you don't have any outstanding bills or payments that need addressing. Regards the $75K stimulus cap, there are higher income brackets that receive less than the predetermined amount in varying degrees. Although I'm not sure what these numbers are, and I don't wish to get your hopes up, but there still may be a distribution in your favor above $75K...

I gots no check coming because Uncle Sam assumes that if a person made a certain income in 2019 then they are unaffected by the 2020 Coronavirus/economic downturn.

I’m in the same boat, but my understanding is we can get relief when we do taxes next year based on lost income in 2020. It’s a year away though...

I had a bad year in 2018 financially so actually qualify for the stimulus. (I'm not sure if i should feel lucky.) I may book get away for sometime where there is a vaccine probably.

I'm hoping that you basic needs are taken care of. And that you don't have any outstanding bills or payments that need addressing. Regards the $75K stimulus cap, there are higher income brackets that receive less than the predetermined amount in varying degrees. Although I'm not sure what these numbers are, and I don't wish to get your hopes up, but there still may be a distribution in your favor above $75K...

I’m fortunate in that I’m still able to work from home as an essential worker, but I have no hopes for getting a stimulus check because I’m about 40k to 65k above the stimulus cap. I spent a lot of money this year buying masks and groceries and such for others... it would have been nice to receive something from Uncle Sam but I’m still blessed to have a job.

Yes, I’m a tiny bit bitter. Lol.

But if I were getting a check, I’d either buy a new AR (in .300 blackout) ...

Same here. No check and if I were going to get one, the AR would be a good place to spend it, but I'd go all the way to 308.

After tithe, we got to replace the money we’ve already spent in preparation for this event to be as long as it has turned out to be. Once the lid is on the virus, I’m going to eat an entire Mexican food restaurant. We plan to spend a chunk at local stores closed by the government as “non-essential.” The rest will get back into the economy via a vacation to replace Experience 2020. I’m sure the hotels, airlines, and vacation spots can use the income.

Once travel/gathering restrictions are lifted, I'm hoping people will still exercise caution regards close contact...with the bell curve beginning to slowly flatten out towards peak, there's an inordinate amount of celebration occurring prematurely. I'm concerned about the "too much, too soon" mindset where states begin to open their businesses once again, but folks may think this means the pandemic has passed. The fact is, we may all need to be very cautious about social gatherings for a while, at least until a vaccine can be given as preventable treatment for our current situation...

And yes, I would love to spend some time on vacation traveling...we've all deserved this ever since we've been asked to stay at home for non-essential work...maybe not a Mexican restaurant, perhaps a nice new stand mixer or grill accessories so I can enjoy baking or cooking foods for my friends and family....

I had a bad year in 2018 financially so actually qualify for the stimulus. (I'm not sure if i should feel lucky.) I may book get away for sometime where there is a vaccine probably.

Almost similar circumstances here last year. My income was down, though my pay scale received a boost. Was because my boss was cutting back on employee hours; we had to make do with fewer workers...

Now, with the pandemic, we're hiring part-time and full-time workers to meet the needs of customers. Health care-related fields are seeing a big increase in employment shifts, simply to meet the need where non-essential businesses are furloughing their workers.

Since my boss knows my age and health limitations, he is not asking me for more work hours that I can handle, but he is kind enough to provide me with a job that helps pay the bills at day's end.

PM me if you might be looking for hourly work in a retail environment that offers benefits with a 30 hour work week. I can direct you to our corporate website where you can apply.

When I first heard about the stimulus, my reaction was "we don't need it". And we don't - I don't know what kind of shape the economy is gonna be in or what it's gonna do to our income, but if we get to the point where $2400 between my wife and I is a problem, it's gonna be the least of our problems. But my son-in-law got laid off and he and my daughter are now trying to get through this on her salary. So we gave it to them, because they DO need it. I was figuring I'd give it to people who needed it more than we did right from the start, and it turns out there are two such people in my family, so it became a really easy call... He was on the verge of taking a job that would have put him at some pretty serious risk and would have had him away from home several nights a week - they just got married in October and they don't need ANY of that right now. So we, and his folks, urged him not to take it. They'll get through it and we'll help them to the extent they need and we can.

-Ray

Back