Off-Topic...Any Gardening Happening This Year?

Have decided...one more week of tending the herb planter (out in the backyard now) before putting tomato plants in. (Likely, next weekend and a trip over to Home Depot or Lowe's for the seedlings). Will be planting both tomatoes and pickling cucumbers (small diameter spread variety, high yield, put into large ceramic planters).

Overnight air temps are slowly creeping up, though I imagine the seedlings will survive if given plenty of room to grow. Though that may be the problem...the seedlings once established may need to share space with other plantings...which could cause competition among seedlings...am no stranger to this...will just need to thin out excess growth as it occurs, in order to keep the garden from growing too big, which would not allow for more humble yearnings...

05/20/19 - Was able to sow cucumber seeds in ceramic planters (to right) and plant 4 cherry tomato seedlings today, along with bamboo tomato supports, tomato cages and plastic/metal spikes intertwined within the cages for improved upright support. Pretty satisfied with my efforts today.

rLuQ7MU.jpg

Looking good!

It's modest, but hopefully fruitful this year. In 2017, there was this, 06/18 and 07/08, respectively:

OeZnkyY.jpg

J0cPJBp.jpg

Had to skip the 2018 season because of apartment renovations, save for some tomatoes in ceramic planters at the outer edge of the patio. The summer squash and baby lettuce was productive, but only leafy stuff. The squash put out maybe a dozen or so gourds, less than I expected. The tomatoes, OTOH, did OK. About 2 dozen sandwich tomatoes over the course of the season.

This year, hoping to just grow some cherry tomatoes and cucumbers (might need to put the cukes in direct sunlight at the outer edge the garden. EDIT: Yup, hardware store clerk confirmed cukes need direct sunlight...)

I have to dig the roots of a perfectly good bush outta the ground now. My wife started chopping it down, and left like 3 inches of sharpened trunk/root sticking up from the ground.

When I asked her what she was gonna do with the unwanted branches and stuff she replied that she was gonna put ‘em in a bag for the trash... that was Saturday. The pile is still there next to the mauled bush.

I have to dig the roots of a perfectly good bush outta the ground now. My wife started chopping it down, and left like 3 inches of sharpened trunk/root sticking up from the ground.

When I asked her what she was gonna do with the unwanted branches and stuff she replied that she was gonna put ‘em in a bag for the trash... that was Saturday. The pile is still there next to the mauled bush.

*Sigh* The things you do for love...

Dude, I had a little laptop table that I was using when I first started working from home a couple of days a week. When I started working from home more often I got a real work station and was going to take the laptop table to Goodwill. Wife wanted to use it temporarily for some of her stuff in the living room. "A month, tops." That was 8 years ago!

Nah. I don't fear grey hair, leaves on the trees, or overcast skies. One thing I might fear is someone sticking a mic in front of me and asking me my opinion on whatever during a meet-and-greet. (Nope. Sorry. Go ask someone else.)

Haha, I meant fear that some of us do things out of to keep our “better halves” sweet!

That only combats the wrong you e done! Fear is only allayed by doing as you’re told haha!

Heh! There used to be an old acronym from one of the older forums, named SWMBO. (She who must be obeyed) A term that used to be tossed about commonly for husbands who needed to toe the line. IIRC, coined by one of our beloved moderators. (He knows who he is...)

I’m not hard done by.

I’ve been good to myself guitar-wise and my wife has been understanding.

Alright folks, let's see those pandemic gardens!

My wife asked me to build a raised garden bead for her this year, we'll see how long she sticks with it. I don't have a green thumb, but I love the idea of a garden.

On a side note: Does anyone have any experience growing Romanesco Broccoli? I've never eaten it, but I am fascinated with the way it looks.

Romanesco.jpg

Alright folks, let's see those pandemic gardens!

My wife asked me to build a raised garden bead for her this year, we'll see how long she sticks with it. I don't have a green thumb, but I love the idea of a garden.

On a side note: Does anyone have any experience growing Romanesco Broccoli? I've never eaten it, but I am fascinated with the way it looks.

View attachment 8132
We've got a lot planted again this year. All of the basic herbs are covered...basil, thyme, rosemary, sage, chives, parsley, mint, Mexican oregano, and oregano. Some lettuce, spinach, snap peas, rhubarb and horseradish. Then there are the peppers....3x jalapeno, serrano, habanero. Pickling cucumbers, eggplant. Finally, tomatoes...1 of each...heirloom, roma, salsa. Oops...forgot about the raspberry, blueberry and strawberry plants.

Back