Off-Topic...Any Gardening Happening This Year?

Overnight air temperatures dipping down into the mid/upper 30s this evening with a frost warning, so have brought my vertical herb planter indoors until daytime/evening temperatures maintain at least 50℉. Here's what the herb planter looks like, (top to bottom): Sage, Chives, Italian Parsley, Oregano, Thyme, Basil: (Each lower base section has grooves that fits into the section below the previous)

fe06ELl.jpg

Heck yes...my mowing is my "other" relaxation ( besides music)!
Nothing fancy, just a yard, but...now we gotta start talking about beers, as I firmly believe a cold bottle of suds is reward for cutting grass!! But that's another thread altogether...
Reward? If you don’t have a bottle in your hand during, you’re slacking off! Afterwards, it’s martini time!

Reward? If you don’t have a bottle in your hand during, you’re slacking off! Afterwards, it’s martini time!

Gardening, much like any other activity, can be a cruel mistress if not paid attention to. And perhaps that is the distraction in life...we're focused on family and doing what we're supposed to, and along comes this distraction that causes a desire of the eyes...(I want that...) and sure enough, if we're not careful, we find ourselves chasing after our desires.

....*snork*...cough...hmm? I must have been dreaming again. I was focusing on my reality instead of work, which I don't do Sundays or Mondays. Carry on.

You beat me to it! You ever see these guys live? Awesome show!

No, but I want to. A couple times I've had conflicts and couldn't go; the last couple times, they were here with their Christmas show.

No, but I want to. A couple times I've had conflicts and couldn't go; the last couple times, they were here with their Christmas show.

The first time that I saw them was in the early/mid 90's. I seem to recall that they were opening with White Zombie. We watched the stage crew bring out a very simple set of instruments - combo amp, trap kit, and what??? An upright bass?? What is this?? My buddies and I didn't think that they would go over well.....until the sound check started. What sounded like a drum and bass sound check was actually just the bass check. We were engaged after that. Awesome show.

Saw them again a few years later but can't recall who they opened for. Also saw them in El Paso TX. A few years ago they came here and I bought tickets as soon as they were available. Much smaller venue as opposed to the arenas I've seen them in. My wife and I went and I got her into them. Some moron took off his shirt and chucked it at the Reverend during "Marijuana". They stopped the song as this sweaty white undershirt got all over the Revs guitar. The Rev had the guy kicked out.....it was pretty funny. Then they picked right back up and killed it for almost 2 hours. Well worth checking out!

Overnight air temperatures dipping down into the mid/upper 30s this evening with a frost warning, so have brought my vertical herb planter indoors until daytime/evening temperatures maintain at least 50℉. Here's what the herb planter looks like, (top to bottom): Sage, Chives, Italian Parsley, Oregano, Thyme, Basil: (Each lower base section has grooves that fits into the section below the previous)

That's a really cool planter. We just have trays and individual planters. Where did you get that from? My wife would really like something like that.

We ended up getting a cold snap and it has been raining since Sunday evening. I'm a bit worried for what I planted in the garden but my flowers out front are maintaining. Hopefully when it warms up again they will spruce back up.

That's a really cool planter. We just have trays and individual planters. Where did you get that from? My wife would really like something like that.

We ended up getting a cold snap and it has been raining since Sunday evening. I'm a bit worried for what I planted in the garden but my flowers out front are maintaining. Hopefully when it warms up again they will spruce back up.

Yeah, from Friday on it's been mostly colder and rainy. Fri the 26th I was at my doctor's office and spoke and shook hands with a guy who looked rather unclean, and after been rained on outside the building and sitting somewhat soggy in a heated car, the damage was already done.

That afternoon, I planted the herb planter and brought it indoors because the outdoors air temps overnight were dipping into the mid-30s. My indoor thermostat was heating my apartment, but overnight the heat stayed on and screwed up my sinuses.

Have now got a head cold. Just spent the better half of the past 2 hours napping in hopes of nipping this cold in the bud.

The lawn maintenance crews did the lawn once again today, though I've not checked my daffs out front. Will do so in a second...yeah, they survived the leaf blowers again...though it's a cool 51℉ outdoors today, might be wise to air out the apartment and try to get some fresh air in here...no sense harboring bacteria from my sneezing or coughing...

As a side note, the apartment management contracted with a lighting business and they put in lampposts along our pathways to and from our buildings. Easier to see any potential hazards in the evening when we might need it.

Re: the planter, there are 2 colors (terra-cotta and off-white). They stack 5 tiers high and you can put a chain through the bottom to the top and hang it from an outdoor hook if you want. I just use the base and set the planter on the ground...

https://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Creation-Strawberries-Vegetables-Succulents/dp/B07BSSLGNV/

Last edited:
That's a really cool planter. We just have trays and individual planters. Where did you get that from? My wife would really like something like that...

Here's what my small section of backyard garden will look like this year. The pipe framework needs to have the strings re-strung toward behind the garden frame, so any climbing growth can be supported. The daffs are just about in their prime just now, and the lilies will grow and flower sometime in late May/early June.

The garden will also be host to several ceramic planters that will house the pickling cucumbers (will post images soon) and once the Sungolds and tomato cages go in, the garden will be officially ready for this season.

Here's my garden frame, herb planter, and flowers (sans ceramic planters)...

0czUuUu.jpg

Yeah, from Friday on it's been mostly colder and rainy. Fri the 26th I was at my doctor's office and spoke and shook hands with a guy who looked rather unclean, and after been rained on outside the building and sitting somewhat soggy in a heated car, the damage was already done.

That afternoon, I planted the herb planter and brought it indoors because the outdoors air temps overnight were dipping into the mid-30s. My indoor thermostat was heating my apartment, but overnight the heat stayed on and screwed up my sinuses.

Have now got a head cold. Just spent the better half of the past 2 hours napping in hopes of nipping this cold in the bud.

The lawn maintenance crews did the lawn once again today, though I've not checked my daffs out front. Will do so in a second...yeah, they survived the leaf blowers again...though it's a cool 51℉ outdoors today, might be wise to air out the apartment and try to get some fresh air in here...no sense harboring bacteria from my sneezing or coughing...

As a side note, the apartment management contracted with a lighting business and they put in lampposts along our pathways to and from our buildings. Easier to see any potential hazards in the evening when we might need it.

Re: the planter, there are 2 colors (terra-cotta and off-white). They stack 5 tiers high and you can put a chain through the bottom to the top and hang it from an outdoor hook if you want. I just use the base and set the planter on the ground...

https://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Creation-Strawberries-Vegetables-Succulents/dp/B07BSSLGNV/

Thanks for the link! I'm going to order it tonight....my wife will like it. Maybe it will take the edge off the price tag on a CU24 that I want for my birthday....hahahaha......

Sorry to hear about the head cold. I've been dealing with major congestion and nastiness every morning for two weeks now. It's rough.

I will take and post pics of my garden once the rain stops. 48 hours of rain and the basement has water in it.....another project to get to.

Thanks for the link! I'm going to order it tonight....my wife will like it. Maybe it will take the edge off the price tag on a CU24 that I want for my birthday....hahahaha......

Sorry to hear about the head cold. I've been dealing with major congestion and nastiness every morning for two weeks now. It's rough.

I will take and post pics of my garden once the rain stops. 48 hours of rain and the basement has water in it.....another project to get to.

Don't talk to me about "rough." :mad: Am hampered enough with "speedy" currently.

FTR, this is Ruff, and how I feel towards both of these 2:

Hb4wRhD.jpg

I just also realized that Tuesday the 23rd, my assignment for my meeting was handling mics to give to meeting participants, then they'd hand them back to me. I just identified one of our meeting members who had been snorting and snuffling phlegm all evening, and he was one of the folks who had received my mic. His hands must have transferred the virus to the entire congregation. Am not happy about this, simply because our policy is that if you're sick, don't attend meetings where it could be a hazard to both young and elderly folks. Am guessing that I was incubating from Tuesday until Friday, and that the colder weather was the icing on the cake.

Time for some chicken rice soup again. That seems to be effective is hydrating / mitigating colds.

I know the feeling....I have three boys that range in range (high school, middle school, elementary school). They bring home and transmit the nastiest things. I'm scared this time of year to pick up anything that they touch! Since I work from home, I'm not exposed to much......but the moment they touch a screwdriver or hammer......boom....I've got it the next day. I've always been rather healthy and don't suffer from much......but I've been knocked on my butt this year.

As for the pic......that kid lives next to me. Yes.....I feel like Mr. Wilson. I'll give him $2 bucks to find his way to Dairy Queen (or the 7-11) and have a treat. Just stay out of my yard and leave me alone! Disclaimer - he's a good kid....just adventurous. Parents are good as well. I just find it annoying to have my dinner interrupted by a crying neighbor kid that climbed over the fence, fell, and hurt himself. That's another odd sage....hahaha......

I know the feeling....I have three boys that range in range (high school, middle school, elementary school). They bring home and transmit the nastiest things. I'm scared this time of year to pick up anything that they touch! Since I work from home, I'm not exposed to much......but the moment they touch a screwdriver or hammer......boom....I've got it the next day. I've always been rather healthy and don't suffer from much......but I've been knocked on my butt this year.

As for the pic......that kid lives next to me. Yes.....I feel like Mr. Wilson. I'll give him $2 bucks to find his way to Dairy Queen (or the 7-11) and have a treat. Just stay out of my yard and leave me alone! Disclaimer - he's a good kid....just adventurous. Parents are good as well. I just find it annoying to have my dinner interrupted by a crying neighbor kid that climbed over the fence, fell, and hurt himself. That's another odd sage....hahaha......

Congrats on the 3 boys! I'd guess they're handful and a half at that age. Suggestion: Keep a pump bottle of hand sanitizer for your workbench, you'll be happier! After I'd finished with GC today, first thing I spotted was the hand sanitizer, so yeah, that's really important especially when in public handling stuff others have touched.

Regards Dennis the Menace, we don't have kids here save for the occasional visiting grandkids. They're still young and at the innocent stage where they don't know any better. Problem exists with male tenants living in another complex away from the main property. They party hardcore and argue loudly between 8 and 10PM, but at least they know the noise ordinance! Cops would be all over them if they kept it up after 10PM. This evening's local entertainment featured a guy literally yelling at the top of his lungs (the guy could have easily had a stroke or aneurysm from that). I stepped out just before 10PM to toss my beer carton, and most of the party had quieted down by then. Thankfully their partying is kept to their property (God forbid someone brings a weapon to their party, because the way things are now, it will happen someday)

So yeah, I do have a healthy respect for stray flying bullets and such. Never needed to worry up until now. At least my teeth are original.

The flowers around Phoenix have been gardening their very own sinus infection in my nose.

Yep, my sinus infection is slowly fading with antibiotics and Flonase. It'll be another week before the infection works its way from my system.

Just finished rebuilding the two standing planter boxes. Basil and other herbs in one and a hummingbird wildflower mix in the other. Tomatoes are strictly container grown so we can move them around.

Pics? Srsly, congrats regards the planters. This weekend my hope is to put some garden edging in, and perhaps plant my cucumbers in large ceramic pots if a drive over to Home Depot is in the works. (Will need potting soil, and perhaps the 4 Sungold tomato seedlings. May need to wait a week to 10 days, though)

I rent my house, but I am talking to the Landlord about planting a bee/butterfly friendly garden. I am not a tree-hugger, but the bee issue and the rate at which they are cutting down trees in my area makes me sad.

You can always encourage bees by putting a small flat dish of sugared water out for the bees. They use the sugared water for energy and refreshment when they're busy pollinating things. Butterflies you might need to find friendly plant species (Monarchs = milkweed, others = ?) for them to find habitation in...

Spent a portion of Friday installing garden edging around the front portion of my apartment in order to prevent landscapers from nicking my daffodils. Kneepads were mandatory, am feeling the tightness today what with rainy weather.

Saturday, was upstate locating potting soil, peat moss and tomato stakes. Also an inexpensive, nice-sized (but a bit heavy for my indoor wall hanger) spider plant that hopefully will be divided and placed into separate indoor hanging pots with soil and peat moss.

My other 2 spider plants are smaller pots filled mostly with peat moss for better drainage and lighter weight. Though it's a bit cold and drizzly outside today, so the larger spider plant can wait.

Meanwhile, if weather cooperates tomorrow, will be adding more potting soil to my earthenware ceramic planters and supplementing that with peat moss. Also, digging up some "lilies of the valley" from a neighbor's yard (w/ her permission, and a return gift bag of Miracle-Gro soil) for my Mom's yard so Mom can enjoy some floral ground cover around the side of her apartment.

Will likely wait until the last week of May before considering sowing any seeds or planting seedlings. Weather is still a tad cool and rainy, though air temps are anywhere from upper 40s overnight to high 60s latter part of the day.

Needed to bring the herb planter indoors last night because outside air temps dipped into the upper 30s. Potential for a cold air front later Friday to bring some snow to higher elevations (snow?), so will adjust accordingly and wait until weather warms slightly.

Hoping warmer weather gives new life to my garden, (besides the excess pollen the rainy weather brought), but in reality, I've nothing different to see today than what's on "the rack."

Back