Odd issue with DGT tuning machine

Cranknfrank

More DGT's please.........
Hello,
My B string tuning machine on my '08 DGT developed some "play" in it a while back. In other words, I could turn the button 3/4 of a turn or more and the machine would not move. It would eventually catch and move but it's not really accurate. Also, the "play" in it moves in both directions so raising and lowering the pitch can be a problem. As I use this guitar for live work, this is very frustrating.

I purchased a new tuning machine from PRS and..............the problem continued. I took the guitar to a local tech who has been one of the best in my area for nearly 40 years and he said he "put a extra washer in there". It worked better for a while (although it was stiffer than I would prefer) but now it's back to it's original state and driving me crazy. I bought the guitar new in '08 and I really consider it indispensable. I dig the guitar and consider it to be perfect in every way............except for the tuning machine on the B string.

If anyone has any suggestions or solutions, I'd really appreciate any assistance anyone could provide. Thanks very much.

Best regards,
Frank
Charlotte, NC

Gear lash? I am not familiar with this term. The tuner is installed correctly and the button screw is tight enough or at least as tight as the other five keys. I don't know what else there is to adjust.

Have you adjusted the gear lash with the button screw...????

Man, this is sad to hear! Have you talked with PRS customer service about help with it? The worst they could say would be 'no'.

I have emailed but no response from them yet. If I don't get a response today I will call them tomorrow. No telling how many emails they get a day so I was hoping someone on the forum might've had a similar problem and had a suggestion. I'm no luthier but I've set up my own instruments forever and this thing is a head scratcher. I thought for sure the new tuning machine would solve the issue. I love my DGT's but the tuning machines on the early ones have been awful - at least in my experience. I've replaced every single one of them - or at least the button. I take good care of my instruments so I know abuse or neglect is not a factor. Apparently, many others have had tuning machine issues with the early DGT's. The guitars are extremely well made in every other capacity. The single tuning machine was over $50 from PRS!

Again, if anyone out there has had a similar experience, I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks for reading.

Man, this is sad to hear! Have you talked with PRS customer service about help with it? The worst they could say would be 'no'.

I have emailed but no response from them yet. If I don't get a response today I will call them tomorrow. No telling how many emails they get a day so I was hoping someone on the forum might've had a similar problem and had a suggestion. I'm no luthier but I've set up my own instruments forever and this thing is a head scratcher. I thought for sure the new tuning machine would solve the issue. I love my DGT's but the tuning machines on the early ones have been awful - at least in my experience. I've replaced every single one of them - or at least the button. I take good care of my instruments so I know abuse or neglect is not a factor. Apparently, many others have had tuning machine issues with the early DGT's. The guitars are extremely well made in every other capacity. The single tuning machine was over $50 from PRS!

Again, if anyone out there has had a similar experience, I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks for reading.

Customer service is really good about answering. If you don't hear soon, call or send a second email.

I read your post. Switch the "G" or "E" tuners with the "B" to see if the problem persists. That will tell if it's the tuner, or the nut.

After this started happening, I purchased a brand new tuning machine from PRS and I'm having the same problem with the brand new tuner as well.

Thanks for your suggestion.

I read your post. Switch the "G" or "E" tuners with the "B" to see if the problem persists. That will tell if it's the tuner, or the nut.

Look carefully at the gear when you twist the button: is the post moving immediately? If so, it's probably the nut sticking. You can run a wound D thru the slot 4 or 5 times to clean up any rasps and try again.

Definitely not anything to do with the nut. The tuner will not move for 1/2 or 3/4 of a turn before moving. When the tuner does move, the string moves freely in the slot.

Thanks.

Look carefully at the gear when you twist the button: is the post moving immediately? If so, it's probably the nut sticking. You can run a wound D thru the slot 4 or 5 times to clean up any rasps and try again.

Did you get a new button with the tuner you bought or did you use the old one?

I'm having this problem right now with a 2008 DGT. It's my number one PRS in a sizable collection. Nothing to do with the nut. It's the buttons on the tuning machines. Does anyone know if there was an official fix for this?

I'm having this problem right now with a 2008 DGT. It's my number one PRS in a sizable collection. Nothing to do with the nut. It's the buttons on the tuning machines. Does anyone know if there was an official fix for this?

Don't take this as the official word, but I believe they were sending replacements for this - slipping tuning machine button, right?

Contact the PTC.

Back