Obsessional Confessional

I'm pretty obsessed with them too, for one specific reason. I have a bunch of other guitars that I also love, mostly Gibson Historic LP's and Fender CS's which look and play great. But regardless of how much perceived mojo they may have, picking up and playing one of my PRS is still a superior experience. Of course they look and sound great, but they stay in tune, they are so well thought out with every part working precisely and perfectly, there are zero build flaws, and they represent the high standard that I (we) expect in so many material possessions, yet rarely experience. Where the niggles and flaws in so many other things piss me off, PRS guitars reward. And if there ever is the rare problem, the factory and PTC offer a level of responsive and skilled support rarely seen these days. They're truly 'the superior product', and are satisfying to own and play like few, if any, others.

I also predict that assuming the high PRS standard is maintained, their desirability and collectibility will continue to advance over time, and they will further cement their iconic status in the world of guitars.

I also predict that assuming the high PRS standard is maintained, their desirability and collectibility will continue to advance over time, and they will further cement their iconic status in the world of guitars.

I frequently have to pull items from my collection and put them up for sale to fund new acquisitions. You should read some of the angry and at times "over the top" rants I get in my incoming eBay messages...not about my sales...but bemoaning the fact that the "vintage PRSi" like the '85's and '86's and other early collectables" are losing value by the day....due to Paul Smith's continuing publicizing of the fact that the "new era of PRS guitars are so sonically superior to those made in the early days".

Man....It is actually almost surreal to get these emails from people who think that I am an ally of some sort, and a sounding board for their own issues....I've gotten incredible emails from people with no interest in the guitar, but with extreme opinions as to how Paul should shut his mouth and not continue to kill the re-sale market". :laugh:

I find it humorous...those of us who buy "vintage gear" usually get it for reasons other than the "sonic attributes" since many of those vintage guitars were well below the quality of those being produced now. for example...try to intonate a 1953 Gibson Les Paul goldtop. :mad:

And...Paul's business is to sell new guitars....at least until the company decides to set up an "aftermarket, pre-owned" department like I've been begging them to do for years. I would even retire to take that position at $1 a year....so long as I got a percentage of sales from this separate profit center.:congrats:

I frequently have to pull items from my collection and put them up for sale to fund new acquisitions. You should read some of the angry and at times "over the top" rants I get in my incoming eBay messages...not about my sales...but bemoaning the fact that the "vintage PRSi" like the '85's and '86's and other early collectables" are losing value by the day....due to Paul Smith's continuing publicizing of the fact that the "new era of PRS guitars are so sonically superior to those made in the early days".

Man....It is actually almost surreal to get these emails from people who think that I am an ally of some sort, and a sounding board for their own issues....I've gotten incredible emails from people with no interest in the guitar, but with extreme opinions as to how Paul should shut his mouth and not continue to kill the re-sale market". :laugh:
Amazing, isn't it? And what seems to escape these idiots is that unless PRS continues to prosper and the legend continues to build, the value of the older stuff will decline, not rise. Name a defunct manufacturer whose guitars or gear continues to appreciate and be sought out by collectors......they are few and far between...Dumble, Trainwreck, maybe Alembic.....maybe a couple more but not many and it's a limited market. But coming up with names that are both collectible and still in production is simple.....Gibson, Fender, Martin, Gretsch, etc., etc.....the list goes on.

True. I'm in the process of selling some gear to pickup a SE model. My main goal is still to own a US model by the end of the year!

And...Paul's business is to sell new guitars....at least until the company decides to set up an "aftermarket, pre-owned" department like I've been begging them to do for years. I would even retire to take that position at $1 a year....so long as I got a percentage of sales from this separate profit center.:congrats:

...and now that we've heard from our advertisers, we return you to your regular Obessional Confessional programming. ;)

"Darling..."

"What is it, dear?"

"I have a confession to make."

(theater organ diminished chord held)

"Well...go on...what has happened?"

"I don't know how to tell you this...it's....well..."

"Is it another woman, again?"

"No. Not this time."

"Another...man?"

"A man? Ha! ...well, ok, not this time, either."

"You're leaving me and moving to Paraguay to become a revolutionary like you've always dreamed?"

"No. It's...well...it's a guitar."

"Oh my god, not another guitar!! What's with you and these guitars?"

"I don't know. It's like...an....an..."

"Addiction. It's an addiction, isn't it? You're an addict! I married an addict! You're worse than drug addicts, the whole bunch of you! And I suppose you've been on that...that...forum again?"

"Yeah. I have. It's true. We've been discussing...well...we've been discussing wood again."

"God help us. I'm getting out of here right now. Give me the keys to our safety deposit box."

"What safety deposit box?"

"The one with our valuables, our jewelry, our bonds, our cash..."

"We never had a box."

"Yes we did."

"No we didn't."

"I beg to differ. We did."

"Didn't."

"Did. You spent it didn't you?"

"Spent what?"

Last edited:
Back