Obsessional Confessional

László

Too Many Notes
We all have our quirks. One of mine is that I love my PRS guitars. Yes. I'm obsessed with them. I confess.

I'm not obsessed with anyone else's. I'm not obsessed with the ones online, or at the dealer, or in the works, though I certainly can admire them from afar. I don't need to shop all the time for guitars. But mine consume a good part of my thoughts.

Somehow there has been identification with them, to the point where they have become inseparably intertwined in my perception of who I am and what I do. That's strange, of course, and it makes zero sense, but it's also true.

I know I'm not alone in being obsessed with PRS guitars in some way. Let's hear it.

And what happens here in the obsessional confessional, stays in the obsessional confessional. ;)

I have the obsession too. I love prs guitars. I find myself watching to see if performers on tv are playing them. We have a channel on dish network that shows concerts all the time and my son and I always check for prs guitars.

I am very happy with my cu24, it just sounds so good and plays very well. I havent had a guitar make me feel this way since purchasing my new G&L nighthawk in 1983.

There is a private stock cu24 on ebay that I fantisize about. I cant afford to spend that kind of money on a guitar today but someday........................

For me my explanation is easy: Guitars are a hobby, Paul Reed Smith's are a passion.

The instrument in general is interesting, but the story, people and products of the company intrigue me far more.

Like Les, I have a pretty tight bond with the axes I have now, but sometimes I have to give myself a reminder. I've been known to suffer from the GAS from time to time. Just the other day I was at the shop, saw a real beauty and just had to walk out before things got ugly for my wallet :( The "problem" with a lot of PRS guitars is the art in them - I have a guitar identical in function, but this one just looked so good. So I usually just go home and play what I have, re-realize how much I like it, what I can do with it, and that calms me down.

Most of the people that know me and also know anything about guitars immediately associate me with always playing a PRS. I can hardly look at other guitars in the shop anymore, they just don't have that feel when I play them, and 9.5 times out of 10 I can find a flaw on other brands that I don't even have to think about when I buy PRS. So I guess it's a good addiction to have.

OK, here's an example of what I mean by an obsession confession:

I talk to my guitars. And not just when they're being played. I talk to them even if they're in their cases. When I walk into the studio in the morning, I'll say things like, "Morning. boys, time to get to work."

And that's not the only time of the day I talk to them, either.

If one gets some new picks in its pick box, they all get new picks. I'll even count them out so no one feels left out. Like the guitars have feelings, right?

If the water runs out in the room humidifier overnight in winter because I forgot to refill it, I feel guilty. I've been known to apologize to them.

Just between us, I know this is a little nutty. It's anthropomorphization. I probably need to spend years on the psychiatric couch to get to the root of the problem, but there you have it. I'm the prehistoric man from the cave who thinks trees have personalities.

The weird thing is, I never did this with my earlier guitars! Something about the PRS ones made me crazier. LOL

There is a thread elsewhere on the forum about customization of guitars to make them yours. I can't do that. I don't want to mess with perfection. But beyond that, I don't have to adorn them with trinkets to know they're mine. It's obvious from their show of emotion when I play them that they know it, too!

They're very loyal. And they repay my faith in them by being great sounding every time I pick one up. ;)

Last edited:
Other guitars are just stupid.

+10

I talk to my guitars.

Me too. When I'm done playing, I gently put her to sleep and say: "Thank you, you've been soooo great." and pet her.

Btw I'm obsessed with my PRS card (though I don't talk to it, it just makes me feel a little... significant...) :D

Last edited:
My guitars are all named, and like you Les I'm obsessed with MY guitars - not anyone elses.

I have daydreams at work about getting home and cranking out a few rock n' roll tunes on them...

For me my explanation is easy: Guitars are a hobby, Paul Reed Smith's are a passion.

The instrument in general is interesting, but the story, people and products of the company intrigue me far more.

I feel the same way. My other guitars are just guitars. My PRS guitars have a story and a passion infused inside of each one.

I have the same problem. When I walk into the studio, all my PRS Guitars are whining ‘ Play Me, Play Me’. If I don’t play each one at least every other day, they get bitchy! Surprisingly, I don't think of them as being of the female persuasion, but it is just better to play them to minimize the complaining.

I do have some love for my other guitars, but the PRS Guitars usually get played first. I just can’t get over the joy of playing them, while admiring the inherent quality, as they are being played.

Just between us, I know this is a little nutty. It's anthropomorphization. I probably need to spend years on the psychiatric couch to get to the root of the problem, but there you have it. I'm the prehistoric man from the cave who thinks trees have personalities.

Call doc cause my PRS are sentient. When I play them I'm a shaman communing with ancient spirits.

"Just between us, I know this is a little nutty."

Everyone's a little nutty. The good part is when you're aware of it and accept it. The couch is needed when you have no freaking clue!

I don't talk to mine, but that's because I'm naturally a bit anti-social (my nuttiness). I do bond with them though. Particularly the PRS pattern neck. I know many don't really care for it, but it just fits my hand so well I can see where my playing has improved measurably since switching to PRS. I think I just enjoy playing them more than anything else I've owned.

To the OP....

Makes sense Les...you are a pro musician. You have to have that "connection" to your instruments that comes with daily use and the need to know exactly how to create the tone you are getting paid to produce.

As a player/collector, I rarely bond with a single guitar over time. I have my few "keepers" but I also have to become accustomed on a regular basis to switching between scale lengths, number of frets, neck size, neck wood, feel of finish, string gauge....you name it. Each guitar feels a little bit different.

If I were a pro musician, I'd stick with a couple of models that met my tonal requirements, and each guitar would ultimately become "a part of my personality".

I think that is somewhat of what you are experiencing Les. As far as the anthropomorphization part of your post.... I will go as far as to admit that I've cursed my guitars occassionally and yelled at them with extreme profanity...but that is really just displacing my anger at my own lack of ability onto them.

I have the same problem. When I walk into the studio, all my PRS Guitars are whining ‘ Play Me, Play Me’. If I don’t play each one at least every other day, they get bitchy!

Haha! I play each one when practicing on a rotating basis, too. And I let the others know it's the particular guitar's turn. LOL

But it's also good to play them regularly because each one that I have feels a little different, regardless of neck carve, etc. So my muscle memory stays used to them.

Call doc cause my PRS are sentient. When I play them I'm a shaman communing with ancient spirits.

You bet. I can relate.

If I were a pro musician, I'd stick with a couple of models that met my tonal requirements, and each guitar would ultimately become "a part of my personality".

Yeah, this is what I meant, explained better.

Though I think this happens with non-pro players, too, especially if they gig with certain guitars.

I think that is somewhat of what you are experiencing Les. As far as the anthropomorphization part of your post.... I will go as far as to admit that I've cursed my guitars occassionally and yelled at them with extreme profanity...but that is really just displacing my anger at my own lack of ability onto them.

They respond better to positive reinforcement. Guitars need love. ;)

Last edited:
I'm obsessed too, though I think my obsession is a bit of a worry because I don't even own a PRS.

I spend most of my spare time looking at PRS guitars, reading about them, watching videos of people playing them (yes Mike Garvey, that includes you...).

November is the earliest I'm likely to own one. By then my local PRS dealer will have banned me, and my wife could have left me over this problem (ok kidding on that one).

My only hope is that once I do make a purchase that my condition will improve. I have a suspicion however that this is only the beginning!

I just like to have whichever guitar is my current favorite near me, even if I'm not playing. Sitting in my lap, or propped on the other side of the couch so I can gaze upon it.

Particularly with my HBII, I like to admire the curves and look at the grain even though I've had it more than 10 years now.

Back