Observations from an old (thrifty) guy

There’s that handsome case again! :D

It really is in good shape for a 55 year old guitar case, isn’t it? You should see the exterior. The guitar is all messed up, but the case is in excellent condition.

PS, the reason the guitar is all messed up is that I didn’t keep it cased, except in the band van. But back then, a guitar wasn’t as much of a lust object as it is now.

Pictures of guitars I no longer have. Top left, 64 Tele that was well butchered by time I got hold of it (Bill Lawrence Fat Strat in neck position, Schaller tuners, 6 saddle bridge), 1960 LP Jr that was completely stock. I bought it in 1979 for the princely sum of $175. Sound check with me on the LP Jr and bandmates circa 1980.
'55 LP Special RI (1975), 1972 P-Bass, 1966 ES335 and Rick 12 string.
Sadly, all this was gone (sold/traded) between 1981 and 2001. I don't think I ever had any pics of my 1963 P-Bass.

LP Jr went to Tom Wittrock in a trade. I saw it later in a post on the Les Paul Forum about a book he'd published.
He saw me coming on that one....:(

When I think of the money I’ve wasted along the 40+ years I’ve been doing music, I could be playing all Private Stocks by now! It’s part of the journey. We have all zigged when we should have zagged on a gear deal somewhere, but I’m not really certain I’d actually like playing those ghost guitars as much as I like reminiscing about them. We live in a great time to be a guitarist, and many of us are holding tomorrow’s ‘58-‘59 Bursts right now!

I say enjoy thinking about your past great guitars, and enjoy playing the ones you have now!

When I think of the money I’ve wasted along the 40+ years I’ve been doing music, I could be playing all Private Stocks by now! It’s part of the journey.

Bingo. I think like this sometimes, but the reality is, without all the guitars that came before, I'd have never had a clue what I wanted in a PS. Or, for that matter, what I want in any guitar going forward.

Back