Observations from an old (thrifty) guy

64 Tele

I've been playing guitars for fifty years (with a 20 yr hiatus a few years back).
I've had vintage Gibson (1960 LP Jr, 1966 ES-335) Fender (1964 Tele, 1963 P-Bass) and
also RI's by both in the 70's and 80's.
I tried PRS (SE's) a few years back out of curiosity and was pleasantly surprised (more like shocked)
at the quality/fit/finish of them for a secondary line by a manufacturer. What I loved about my first SE (Custom 24) was the trem (that worked), the neck (guess it's a thin/wide) and the smaller frets.
Since the first one, I've added an SE Custom 22 semi hollow and put Seymour Duncan Seth Lover's in both the Custom 22 and 24. This took good guitars to great.
Only thing missing was a volume control on each pickup, so picked up a SE 245 (single cut). Even the pickups are really good on this one.
I've tried a several occasions, CORE models (McCarty, Custom 24) which were both absolutely gorgeous guitars, but the frets were way too big to be comfortable to play. I wanted to like them, had the money to buy them, but could NOT get by the fret size.
Even Fender seems to think that bigger is better (unless you go the vintage styled models they offer).
I guess I'm destined to go the cheaper route and throw pickups at the ones that don't work, but color me a huge fan of PRS SE's.

Last edited:
I've been playing guitars for fifty years (with a 20 yr hiatus a few years back).
I've had vintage Gibson (1960 LP Jr, 1966 ES-335) Fender (1964 Tele, 1963 P-Bass) and
also RI's by both in the 70's and 80's.
I tried PRS (SE's) a few years back out of curiosity and was pleasantly surprised (more like shocked)
at the quality/fit/finish of them for a secondary line by a manufacturer. What I loved about my first SE (Custom 24) was the trem (that worked), the neck (guess it's a thin/wide) and the smaller frets.
Since the first one, I've added an SE Custom 22 semi hollow and put Seymour Duncan Seth Lover's in both the Custom 22 and 24. This took good guitars to great.
Only thing missing was a volume control on each pickup, so picked up a SE 245 (single cut). Even the pickups are really good on this one.
I've tried a several occasions, CORE models (McCarty, Custom 24) which were both absolutely gorgeous guitars, but the frets were way too big to be comfortable to play. I wanted to like them, had the money to buy them, but could NOT get by the fret size.
Even Fender seems to think that bigger is better (unless you go the vintage styled models they offer).
I guess I'm destined to go the cheaper route and throw pickups at the ones that don't work, but color me a huge fan of PRS SE's.

*cough* Silver Sky *cough*

I've got two Strats (MIM Classic Series) that I love.....and I had a 1983 era '57 Strat RI for twenty years.
I'll have to try a Silver Sky sometime.
Just feel like the Strat niche is well filled.
I meant to mention in the original post that I've never tried a S2 or CE Series before.
Signed....Old Thrifty Guy :rolleyes:

I meant to mention in the original post that I've never tried a S2 or CE Series before
I can’t speak for the CE, but as an owner of three S2 guitars I can tell you that you’re doing yourself a great disservice by not trying one.

(I’m not sure on the fret size difference Core vs S2, but the S2 wood seems more resonant to me than SE wood)

I'll have to give the S2's a try. There's a couple dealers nearby that have them.
I'd been somewhat intrigued by the S2 Studio model.
As the original post states.....I'm an Old (thrifty) Guy.
The last SE I bought (SE 245) included this PRS case (see below) and my price (used guitar)
for all was $525.
https://us.prsaccessories.com/collections/guitar-cases-and-gig-bags/products/prs-multi-fit-case
resized_20191203_183650-jpeg.369663

Last edited:
I have an S2 Studio. Great guitar.

If you think about how much money you save buying an S2 instead of a Core, you’d have to consider yourself thrifty. ;)

Please try an S2 or two and report back. I’m curious as to what you think of them.

I'll give them a try next time I'm at a store that has them.
Only problem (for us thrifty guys) is that I'd then have to buy another/bigger guitar stand.
I've got 2 Hercules 4 guitar stands now. Don't know if I'd be able to justify more stands. :rolleyes:

Take a ride on an S2.

I have 3 PRS guitars,
an S2 Mira,
an S2 Mira semi hollow
and an S2 Cu22 semi hollow

They are spectacular guitars,
even when compared to my
Gibsons and EBMMs.

I can’t imagine not liking any PRS for the frets. Granted, this is coming from a guy that loves 6100s on everything (Tele, Les Paul, and my DGT all have ‘em), but one of my Strats has pretty small frets and I love it. The thinnest I have are on my 56 Les Paul Junior. They’re original and it plays great, but those frets...man...yuck! Just goes to show, we all like a wide variety of stuff, but I assure you, every PRS you pickup will play marvelously.

I like the SE series a lot, great value. Just picked up a new SE Mira, and have been enjoying it a lot. Also just got an S2 Custom 24. It's definitely the superior of the two, as it should be, being twice the price. A CE24 will be my next purchase.

The biggest difference on the two that I own, better tuners on the S2, the pickup switch on the SE feels a little flimsy (does the S2 work as a replacement?), pickups are the same, but the tone of the S2 seems a little more refined. Te neck on the S2 seems a little more refined too. Lovin' em both though, no complaints.

Here’s the thing: bigger frets give your fingertips a little more leverage for bends, and with a good setup, are every bit as easy to play as the old ‘fretless wonder” Gibsons.

Just sayin’ this as a guy who’s apparently older than anyone else in the entire universe

If you buy used you can probably get four S2s for the price of one core model guitar and have all bases covered. Do you still have those vintage guitars?

-k

Here’s the thing: bigger frets give your fingertips a little more leverage for bends, and with a good setup, are every bit as easy to play as the old ‘fretless wonder” Gibsons.

Just sayin’ this as a guy who’s apparently older than anyone else in the entire universe
I've tried the fretless wonder l.p. customs and didn't care for them. Here's the thing...bigger frets always seemed like jumping hurdles when moving up and down the neck. Whatever was stock on the 60s guitars I had felt like "home".

If you buy used you can probably get four S2s for the price of one core model guitar and have all bases covered. Do you still have those vintage guitars?

-k
1960 l.p. jr went in a trade for the 1964 tele.
1966 es335 went in a stupid trade for a Rick 12 string (I'm seeing a trend).
1963 p-bass I sold in 2001 along with the Rick and tele.

Last edited:
I've tried the fretless wonder l.p. customs and didn't care for them. Here's the thing...bigger frets always seemed like jumping hurdles when moving up and down the neck. Whatever was stock on the 60s guitars I had felt like "home".

This ‘65 SG Special was home for me from 1967, when my brother gave it to me, until 1991 when I started playing PRS. I still have it, but only for sentimental reasons. I never play it any more. The Tune-O-Matic was added in 1970 or ‘71, when I got tired of intonation problems with the stock bridge (whatever that was, I don’t even remember!).

jrZzCbF.jpg

This ‘65 SG Special was home for me from 1967, when my brother gave it to me, until 1991 when I started playing PRS. I still have it, but only for sentimental reasons. I never play it any more. The Tune-O-Matic was added in 1970 or ‘71, when I got tired of intonation problems with the stock bridge (whatever that was, I don’t even remember!).

jrZzCbF.jpg
There’s that handsome case again! :D

Back