Obey Me!

Well imagine Led Zep onstage. Page has his Hammer Of The Gods guitar. But he's playing it through a Roland Jazz Chorus.

Now imagine that Page is playing a Squier Hello Kitty guitar through his usual Marshalls or his Hiwatts.

Which rig will sound more like Zep's records when the concert starts?

I'll play. Given that choice I would go with option B. Page played teles often enough and you won't get much pleasing breakup from a JC for sure.

The more experienced I get [read: older] the more I understand the truth of Les' OP. It took me a loooooong time to figure out that most of the guitar problems I experienced were actually amplifier problems.

Well, with that '89 Custom [24] I had back in the day, it was the guitar. But that's another story.

Anyway, while there's a certain amount of synergy between the two, my personal bottom line is that it's more important by a pretty long ways to get the amp end of things right. The guitar part falls into place a lot more easily when the amp part is all there.

I'll play. Given that choice I would go with option B. Page played teles often enough and you won't get much pleasing breakup from a JC for sure.
Well, it depends on what you put in front of the JC. Who am I kidding? There is no technology yet that you can use that will make a JC sound like a Marshall or a HiWatt convincingly. Roland tried, but it's all cheese.

I have to agree most guitar problems are amp problems in disguise. But I'll go one further and say that most amp problems from a tonal standpoint are cabinet/speaker problems. There is nothing that can make a great amp sound worse than the wrong cabinet/speaker combination.

Last edited:
I have neither guitar nor amp problems. I do, however, have substantial lack of talent problems. To the original post: amp trumps guitar for sound. Guitar trumps amp for playing experience.

I'm a shopaholic, so...yes. I would be excited about getting a new guitar or​ a new amp. Right now I'm eyeballing amps.

I like blondes, brunettes, and redheads.

Yet you hang around all those bald ones...

Les I enjoy reading all your threads but a paisley woody I don't know.

Don't be fooled - at his age, Les is probably more splotchy than paisley. :vroam:paisley doesn't survive the centuries. That's why all the paisley Strativarius cases have disappeared.

For years I paid so little attention to my amps, always focusing on my guitars. It wasn't till probably 3-4 years ago that I started really looking at what the amp contributes to "my" tone. I think that why I found myself to fascinated by my Bogner Shiva. Even now I still find myself tweaking the amp and trying it with different cabs and such. I now find myself looking for a nice Single Channel amp - I find myself looking to the Matchless Chieftain and trying to talk myself out of it lol. Anyways right now I can honestly say I have new Amp on the brain just need to figure out what will work best for me!

To the original post: amp trumps guitar for sound. Guitar trumps amp for playing experience.

+1

20 years of guitar GAS has now morphed into 5 years of amp GAS .. bought 4 amps in the last year, but zero guitars

I have neither guitar nor amp problems. I do, however, have substantial lack of talent problems.

Lack of talent is no excuse!

We are talking gear here, my brother! Gear!

Now let's get busy and order up some new amps. I say a new amp cures all ills. Oh heck, and while we're at it, let's grab some more guitars!

What say you?

Lack of talent is no excuse!

We are talking gear here, my brother! Gear!

Now let's get busy and order up some new amps. I say a new amp cures all ills. Oh heck, and while we're at it, let's grab some more guitars!

What say you?

Les is that devil in my ear. :evil:

The angel tells me to spend some money on lessons.

Pfffftttttt!! What fun is that? :dontknow:

I say here's excuse #2. I bought a new car last week so guitar and amp purchases are on hold for the time being. I could accept one of the job offers that keep coming my way, but that sounds too much like work to me.

Les is that devil in my ear. :evil:

The angel tells me to spend some money on lessons.

Pfffftttttt!! What fun is that? :dontknow:

Exactly.

I say here's excuse #2. I bought a new car last week so guitar and amp purchases are on hold for the time being. I could accept one of the job offers that keep coming my way, but that sounds too much like work to me.

In the immortal words of Maynard G. Krebs, "Work?!?!?"

Back