Nut width between SE and non-SE - differences

tildeslash

I have several USA and SE model PRSs.
To me it seems like the SE neck profile and nut width is a tad bigger than their USA counterpart.

Yes?

Last edited:
The width of the nut can vary based on the neck profile: Wide Fat vs Regular, or Pattern vs Pattern Regular as they are now called.

So if your Core PRSi are all "Regular" width, and your SE PRSi are all Wide Fat, then there you go.

Which PRSi do you have?

Specifically, from the PRS Support website:

WIDTH OF THE FRETBOARD AT THE NUT:
◾Pattern, Wide Fat - 1 11/16"
◾Pattern Thin, Wide Thin - 1 11/16"
◾Pattern Regular, Regular - 1 21/32"
◾12 String - 1 47/64"

And the PRS Products page offers two correspondingly different nut widths:

http://www.prsaccessories.com/products/string-nuts-set-of-2

ACC-4204 -Pattern/Pattern Thin (Wide-Fat/Thin)
ACC-4206 - Pattern Regular (Regular)

Last edited:
I had my ZM nut changed with a USA one. There is a gap now due to the older nut being wider than the one installed.

I had my ZM nut changed with a USA one. There is a gap now due to the older nut being wider than the one installed.

ZM's have a Wide-Fat neck, so that would be the wider nut. If your USA nut was a Pattern Regular nut, it will be 1/32" too small in width.

I have both 1st gen and a 2nd gen Santana SEs with wide-fat necks, and a 2005 CU22 with a Wide Fat. If you blindfolded me and put each neck in my left hand, I would not be able to tell which was which, they feel identical. If you were to put my Mira with the regular neck carve in my hand, I would know it immediately.

The W/F on my SE One feels very much like the W/F on my HBII. The W/F on my SE Soapbar II however, feels bigger, like there's more shoulder in the back shape. In a non-scientific measurement, it looks like it's about 1/32" wider at the nut than the other two.

Back