Nut replacement

Deftonedigga

I have a USA 20th Anniversary 24 Standard and need to change the nut as it doesn't stay in tune when using the trem. I have purchased a replacement pair of Prs core nuts but need to know do they need to be cut, or does the bottom need sanding, or do they just replace without any tasks except for glueing. Can you also confirm I have the right part number as the anniversary 24 standard neck profile wasn't 'standard' (WF or WT). Many thanks in advance.

If you haven’t replaced a nut on a guitar before, watch plenty of YT videos.

Key thing is to run a sharp blade (Stanley knife/box cutter) around the edge of the nut, to prevent damage to the finish. You will need to go slowly with this so you don’t slip and damage the finish with the blade. A gentle tap at the side of the nut should remove it from the guitar.

When the nut is off the guitar, offer it up to the replacement. The important factor is the bright of the nut slots, compared to the one you’ve just removed.

Adjustments to the slots, take the form of careful removal of material from the bottom of the nut, by using a piece of sandpaper adhered to a flat surface.

Good luck!

You could also engage a luthier to replace it for you. Normally not an expensive operation (around 30 euros here in Belgium).

Back