Nut for 7 string guitar

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anders Langberg, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Anders Langberg

Hi, i´m a new PRS SE SVN owner located in Norway. I Just got my fist 7 string guitar and i absolutely love it. But i got one problem.

We got several guitar repair/shops, but the 7 string spare parts is not that good. Often they got everything for 6-string guitars, but not for 7-strings.

I have searched the web and this forum. But I´m not that good with search engines and stuff. My results are good companies who sell, you guessed it, 6 string parts.

I cant seem to find a nut that fits my weird needs.

I wish to up the string gauge, and i dont want to change how the guitar sounds (except for the string gauge of course) From the factory the guitar came with gauges 9 to 54, and i need 10 to 60. Ive read about changing the nut, but i cant find one that fit. The neck is a 7 string wide thin.

Im not to comfortable by doing sanding and filing, so i guess ill have to find a shop or someone in my area to do that.

The desired string gauge is:

E = 10
    B = 13
    G = 17
    D = 26
    A = 36
    E = 52
    A = 60

The neck is 26,5 so i guess the tuning stability should be ok.

But where do i find a nut that fits?
    If you know some online shop thats good for 7 strings could you please drop it in the comments?

Note:
    If this post is totally unnecessary and i can find answers in another post, please help me fint the post and the mods are free to delete this.

Best regards
    Anders

2. colinkanders

colinkanders Compulsive Noodler

Can you widen the slots on the existing nut rather than replacing it?

Anders Langberg and Deli6505 like this.
  3. Deli6505

Deli6505 Rockin' the D!

simple solution. just take a triangular rat tail file and slide it in the appropriate slots a couple times. That's what I did with my LP when I (briefly) went to heavier gauge strings when the band I was in was tuning to A# (pre-PRS SVN days). I realize that you're not comfortable with sanding and filing but as long as you don't reef on it hardcore, a couple of passes with the rat-tail file should do the trick just nicely.

Anders Langberg likes this.
  4. Anders Langberg

Thank you for your replies! I wont try to make it on my own. Nervous of screwing it up, so i think i´m gonna use a local tech!

#4 Anders Langberg, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019