Nut for 7 string guitar

Hi, i´m a new PRS SE SVN owner located in Norway. I Just got my fist 7 string guitar and i absolutely love it. But i got one problem.

We got several guitar repair/shops, but the 7 string spare parts is not that good. Often they got everything for 6-string guitars, but not for 7-strings.

I have searched the web and this forum. But I´m not that good with search engines and stuff. My results are good companies who sell, you guessed it, 6 string parts.

I cant seem to find a nut that fits my weird needs.

I wish to up the string gauge, and i dont want to change how the guitar sounds (except for the string gauge of course) From the factory the guitar came with gauges 9 to 54, and i need 10 to 60. Ive read about changing the nut, but i cant find one that fit. The neck is a 7 string wide thin.

Im not to comfortable by doing sanding and filing, so i guess ill have to find a shop or someone in my area to do that.

The desired string gauge is:

E = 10
B = 13
G = 17
D = 26
A = 36
E = 52
A = 60

The neck is 26,5 so i guess the tuning stability should be ok.

But where do i find a nut that fits?
If you know some online shop thats good for 7 strings could you please drop it in the comments?

Note:
If this post is totally unnecessary and i can find answers in another post, please help me fint the post and the mods are free to delete this.

Best regards
Anders

simple solution. just take a triangular rat tail file and slide it in the appropriate slots a couple times. That's what I did with my LP when I (briefly) went to heavier gauge strings when the band I was in was tuning to A# (pre-PRS SVN days). I realize that you're not comfortable with sanding and filing but as long as you don't reef on it hardcore, a couple of passes with the rat-tail file should do the trick just nicely.

Can you widen the slots on the existing nut rather than replacing it?
simple solution. just take a triangular rat tail file and slide it in the appropriate slots a couple times. That's what I did with my LP when I (briefly) went to heavier gauge strings when the band I was in was tuning to A# (pre-PRS SVN days). I realize that you're not comfortable with sanding and filing but as long as you don't reef on it hardcore, a couple of passes with the rat-tail file should do the trick just nicely.

Thank you for your replies! I wont try to make it on my own. Nervous of screwing it up, so i think i´m gonna use a local tech!

Last edited:
Back