Nut and Changing String Gauge

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by LJD, Oct 1, 2013.

1. LJD

LJD New Member

My HBII shipped with 11's with a wound G. Right away I had it set up for 10's, but I decided for my luthier to leave the nut alone (for now). How necessary is it to adjust when going down in gauge size? Should I replace the nut for 10s? Other than tuning issues, what effect could not replacing the nut have on the tone? Can it contribute to twang, buzz, sustain, etc.?

#1 LJD, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  2. swede71

swede71 Tja ba!L├Ąget?

Hi LJD!I switch between 10-46 and 11-49 strings.I set up the nut for 11-49 and that seems to work with 10s too without any problems.

3. maxtuna26

maxtuna26 New Member

There won't be much problem from moving down one gauge, from what I know. The thinner gauges may twang more, but it depends more on how you play it. Buzz may happen when changing gauges but it can be solved by adjusting the truss rod or bridge saddles. It won't be the nut that causes the problem.

4. jfb

jfb Plank Owner

It amazes me how little I know about setting up a guitar. Thankfully there's PTC when I am in need.

5. vchizzle

vchizzle Zomb!e Nine, DFZ

I haven't run into issues when going to a light string gauge when the nut is cut for heavier strings.