Nuno Bettencourt

You know he's with Extreme now, right?;)
Gary Cherone was in Van Halen for 4 years. He has been with Extreme all of the years they were active. Extreme went dormant when he went to Van Halen. They made the album Van Halen III. That is by far the worst VH album of all time IMHO. It is the only one that I gave away because I couldn't listen to it and a friend of mine wanted to hear it. I gave it to him and told him that if he couldn't stand it to give it to someone else. I didn't want it back. They made a second album and the record company sent it back to them and it never made it to a release.

I'm disappointed with Nuno. He never fully embraced the guitar God thing, much to the detriment of the rest of us. Plus, his creative peak was pretty short, lasting pretty much the duration of Extremes first 3 albums and select parts of the 4th. Midnight Express is an all time piece of music. I've found his music since to be extremely uninspiring. People have been gushing over his solo on Extremes new single but it's melodically blah and it's recycling stuff he did almost 30 years prior. I'm still a Nuno fanboi, because his work on these first Extreme albums is other worldly. I have been lusting for a Washburn Padauk N4 for years now.

Oh and Gary... doesn't have it anymore. Not even close. Suffering the same fate as Bon Jovi and Steve Perry where those vocal styles don't have long lifespans.

Gary Cherone was in Van Halen for 4 years. He has been with Extreme all of the years they were active. Extreme went dormant when he went to Van Halen. They made the album Van Halen III. That is by far the worst VH album of all time IMHO. It is the only one that I gave away because I couldn't listen to it and a friend of mine wanted to hear it. I gave it to him and told him that if he couldn't stand it to give it to someone else. I didn't want it back. They made a second album and the record company sent it back to them and it never made it to a release.

I feel your pain. I was basically freaked right out when that happened. Gary Cherone never belonged in Van Halen. Dave was the only perfect frontman for the band. I couldn’t stand Van Hagar either.

Nuno is almost up there on my list with Eddie(RIP). Eddie was the SUPREME king of all things Rock n roll though but Nuno just blows my mind with those superb runs.

Slow down the videos and watch his impeccable finger work. My eyes can’t even keep up. This man is a guitar god.

I feel your pain. I was basically freaked right out when that happened. Gary Cherone never belonged in Van Halen. Dave was the only perfect frontman for the band. I couldn’t stand Van Hagar either.

Nuno is almost up there on my list with Eddie(RIP). Eddie was the SUPREME king of all things Rock n roll though but Nuno just blows my mind with those superb runs.

Slow down the videos and watch his impeccable finger work. My eyes can’t even keep up. This man is a guitar god.
I really liked Extreme during their first three albums. I also really like Van Halen. They were both great bands. When they combined members, not good. I didn't mind the Sammy years of VH. I actually saw them live at the first Monsters of Rock concert and thought they did well. That was back during the 1984 album tour. The Scorpions actually stole that show. They were spot on and rocked the socks off of the place.

“Double, double, toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and cauldron bubble!”
Wow you said a mouthful. That epitomizes me. I have toned down the trouble in me.(not really) The stories I could tell you when I was on the road doing the Brian Adam’s tour circuit with Hubby. He was a manufacturer of goods for a lot of Canadian bands back in the day. Some of the best times of my life. I met a wide variety of ppl.

I really liked Extreme during their first three albums. I also really like Van Halen. They were both great bands. When they combined members, not good. I didn't mind the Sammy years of VH. I actually saw them live at the first Monsters of Rock concert and thought they did well. That was back during the 1984 album tour. The Scorpions actually stole that show. They were spot on and rocked the socks off of the place.
What a show that was! Dokken (OK, George Lynch) probably at their peak, Metallica pre-Black Album, Scorps, and VH!!

My favorite Van Halen will always be the DLR records, but Sammy did put on a hell of a show at MoR (Spokane, WA) and I was truly impressed with him. The Scorpions set was highly choreographed, and when they were on they were red hot. I had a friend who saw the Seattle show on that tour and he said they fell flat that night.

Back