Number of springs... would it matter?

littlebadboy

I have a newly installed Mann bridge on my S2 Standard. However, the electronics are still being worked on.

Do I really need all 4 springs on it? I wanted the trem to be a little softer to wank. Will I be able to use just 3 of them? If yes, is there any config?

Thanks!

Actually depending on the guitar more springs at a lower tension can make the trem feel less stiff worked on my first single cut trem

On my guitars, the claw screw length dictates. Once they get pulled out too far, I get nervous and add another spring. Mr. Clean is like that and I just restrung with 10s in an experimental move. Went to 3 springs (man, getting that middle spring out can be a bear) and the bridge leveled out with a little further tension adjustment.

Thank you all!

I found an interesting article on springs.

It mentioned an interesting configuration:
Figure-A130x125.gif

To get a little more stability on the low strings, hook two springs into the first two openings on the low E side of the counterbalance and onto the first two claws. On the high E side, hook the third spring from the outermost hole on the bridge counterbalance to the second claw from the end (Figure A).

Try any configuration you like. Just be aware that when you take tension off the trem it will move when you bend. So when bending to pitch, the note will be in a different location than your muscle memory.

I took one spring off today. I liked the action better. The flutter is more pronounced now. However, I am still struggling to find the right trem spring tension. I can't seem to balance the bridge well.

Back