NUGDx2 - SE Std 22 - SE 245 Std - 2015 Indonesian PT Wildwood

shimmilou

Established in 1963
So, while waiting (jonesing) for my Mira and SE Paul's, I saw this used SE Std 22 (MII) at Daves, for a reasonable price and I thought, what the heck, I'll take a chance. If nothing else, it looks very good (to me), and I can always mod it if needed.

Overall it is in great shape, very little signs of being used, no discernible fret wear, no swirl marks, but has a couple of very small dings. It is very light weight, just like the first SE Soapbar II (MIK) that I also bought used, and the whole guitar is very similar to the Soapbar, bridge, controls, layout, body and weight, and I got birds on this one, while the Soapbar has moons. Although very light weight, it is not neck heavy, even with the wide/fat neck, and balances well when sitting.

The fit and finish are good, nut is good, maybe cut a little deep. The bridge is fine, no buzzing or sitar sounds, and intonation is great. The tuners are smooth and hold tune very well. Neck is straight, with just the right amount of bow for decent low action with no fretting out.

The pots and switch function properly, smooth and no noise when turning the pots. The pickups actually sound decent after I tweaked the heights and poles a little bit, but I'm already thinking of a set of Kent Armstrong '57s..... maybe. The neck pup especially seems surprisingly nice for clean and low gain sounds. The middle position is chirpy with a bit of character. The bridge is just a little thin sounding, but is definitely usable for now. I want to change the pots to concentric, only so I can have 2 volumes and 2 tones without drilling any holes. I also want to change the switch to a better one, as the stock switch is a little delicate feeling, kind of touchy.

There are only a few slight criticisms that I have. The fret edges aren't quite as smooth as on my more expensive PRS models, but still good (much better than comparably priced other brands). There is a small gap between the body route and the cavity cover on one end. The truss rod cover is a tad too long, so it's raised just a bit at the bottom (can only be seen from the side). None of these things affect the play-ability or sound.

All things considered, I am very satisfied with it, and for the price, I think it is a fine guitar. Of course I didn't have unreasonable expectations for it, considering that it retails new for about $500, and I bought used for much less. ;)

47401135432_63f0ea62ae_o.jpg

47401135302_852f5c9f98_o.jpg

46730928344_fe7449ed73_o.jpg

Dave’s always seems to have tremendous amount of gently used inventory for SEs and S2s in recent years. Killer prices to match. Nice pickup!

Another NUGD, a SE 245 Std, also Indonesian, PT Wildwood.

I wanted to put these two guitars in the same thread, since they are both SE Std, and are from the same factory, and for a more convenient search.

While I am very satisfied with the quality and sound of the SE 22 (after a little more tweaking I've decided to keep the stock pups as they have a very nice and unique sound after all), I must say that I am thrilled with the SE 245 in every way. This SE 245 is absolutely on par with my Korean made SE ZM and SE Tremonti, both awesome guitars themselves. Terrific value for the price, and it is a joy to play.

The SE 245 has a much thicker and heavier body than the SE 22, very much like the SE Tremonti, so it feels very substantial. The fit and finish are terrific, fret ends are great, I like the binding and looks, and it sounds fantastic. I think that these pups are the same, or similar to the SE ZM pups, but they sound very different in this guitar. The pups remind me of US made G '57s, very nice PAF type sounds, rich full, chirpy and very responsive and articulate, kinda chewy and spongy. The setup is perfect, intonation is perfect, just a great playing experience. It really is a killer guitar, and I am very happy with it.

Of course it looks better in person, but here are the dealer pics.

33713162188_fed4462b7d_o.jpg

33713162498_0715b997e7_o.jpg

33713162368_53e05cc19b_o.jpg

32647682767_bee80e4213_o.jpg

Last edited:
Back