NUGD: Narrowfield Content Inside

jak3af3r

Jake
Several years has gone by without a NGD. It has also been a while since I've played with people so when I got the call for some local gigs, I had the perfect excuse to grab something forgotten from the past but exactly what I needed.

pBhdjhU.jpeg

The 25th anniversary Swamp Ash Special!

Here in charcoal smokeburst so dark it might as well have been solid black. This thing absolutely rips.

Cool looking birds!
HNGD!
Thanks! I honestly hated the inlays when they came out. They're not bad on this maple but the customs I've seen with the same inlays look like stickers (same with the binding too).

The next thing I need to do is sit down with it alone and see what it does. I had it delivered at band practice last night so I decided to just take a gamble and not bring a guitar. In a band mix, it cuts nicely without being harsh and it's nice because the other guitarist can bring pretty much anything else and you can have the "opposite" sound on the LP-Tele/Strat spectrum.

The other thing I need to do is possibly a demo of it since there aren't a ton and all the ones out there either have too much distortion (see Sergio's rant) OR they're 12 years old at this point and sound like they were recorded after the mic was used as a cheese grater.

I also have more pictures I'll try to get uploaded.

And if anyone has a 25th anniversary Mira without a hangtag, message me. I might have it and I'll mail it to you.

Awesome guitar @jak3af3r ! I’ve been considering one like it after the continuing dearth of reasonably priced NF3s available. Looking forward to hearing more on your impressions of it!

The pickups themselves are really interesting. The first thing is they're probably the most sensitive pickups I've ever had as far as height is concerned. Just a quarter turn of the adjustment screw has a pretty profound effect.

In the pictures, the pickups are labeled for each position but measuring them with a meter (I measured them with an LCR meter too) shows they're all 3 identical. Almost freakishly identical. We're looking at about 4.9 henries on the inductance and a DC resistance of 8.4K which puts these hotter than the McCarty neck pickup in my '97 but just a little less than the McCarty bridge.

Because of the high-ish inductance and resistance readings and the physical design of the pickup, we end up with what sounds almost like overwound tele bridge pickups. There's a lot of clarity because they're not cancelling out a ton of overtones along the length of the string.

This is not to say they're bright and clear like a strat or silver sky though.

They're close. Freakishly close. Like so close at rehearsal if you closed your eyes you probably couldn't guess what guitar I had.

Anyways, the wiring is rather simple. It works like a strat. I know there were some changes made for 2011 that I believe added a treble bleed (odd if it didn't have one originally).

I have a custom 24 from the same year, same month, with the production date a week apart for these two. The 24 is an oddball with some of the newer features like the 5 way blade and lampshades but the neck shape is "standard" and the blade has the rotary positions.

So I thought I'd take a peek in the cavity to see it the SAS is in-between. Which it is with the treble bleed.

Because of this, as you roll of the volume you also brighten up the sound so it gets really really single-coily.

The dynamic response to pick attack is phenomenally good. I suspect most of the initial attack and snap when you start digging is due to the body/neck material so NF3 may be similar but a little more mellow.

The only plans I have is put a push-pull to get 7-way switching for N/B and all 3 pickups and maybe see if I can find mini buttons for the tuners like my cu24 has.

Otherwise, these are great and I'm glad guitarists everywhere are afraid of not being able to change pickups so the prices are about that of a used S2 in the market from 3 years ago (or at least this one was).

Great information. I need to learn more about treble bleeds. I know it’s a simple mod, and I have a few guitars I think could benefit because they lose too much high end when I roll off the volume even a little.

I used to have a Strat with a SD Little 59 in the bridge that sounded really good. I’m thinking this might be similar, though the SD’s higher output likely gave it a warmer tone. Thanks for the update!

Back