NUGD - 2013 Bernie Marsden - Vintage Sunburst

:eek: That is close to $1k US, not counting shipping. That is close to cost of the one in France, and that one has covered pups. Thank you for the effort, but I don’t want one that badly.

There is something magical about putting the right expensive pickups in a Bernie/245. If you’re looking for the vintage LP experience, it’s there waiting for you to coax it out with the right mods.

Although I agree that the right pickups can turn a Bernie/245 into a vintage sound beast, they don't have to be expensive units. A simple magnet swap can make world of difference and is super cheap.

I've used alnico 3 magnets in various 245 neck pickups over the years which I usually couple with unoriented alnico 5 bridge magnet swaps, This gives you a really vintage sounding guitar IMHO.

The neck pickup takes on a almost p90 sound without the hum(which is what Seth lover was trying to achieve with the humbucker), the bridge retains its power but sounds more vintage.

I would recommend magnet swaps to anyone looking for a different sound, their super cheap and easy to do and gives a idea of the sound your chasing before doing the boutique pickup musical chairs dance.

Last edited:
There is something magical about putting the right expensive pickups in a Bernie/245. If you’re looking for the vintage LP experience, it’s there waiting for you to coax it out with the right mods.
I'm going to toss my opinion into this--I'd suggest trying to find one of the (relatively rare) "Limited" ones that came with brushed-nickel 53/10 pickups. Those are about the closest in my experience to the really good old PAF pickups in the early LP's. These might be a little more pricey, though, as they were a limited run and I'd expect they will hold their value quite well (those pickups are almost unobtainable anymore).

Yeah, that is the one I would really like, and would pay more for it, but can't find anywhere. This one looks like it could be the limited run with 53/10's, but it doesn't say in the ad what pups are in there.

https://reverb.com/item/39577026-prs-se-bernie-marsden-ltd-run-dark-cherry-burst-2018-coree
I don't think that that one is a 53/10. From what I've read & seen, I believe the 53/10 pickups in the Bernie Marsden models were the actual US-pickups with a brushed finish (not the shiny/mirror covers) and the "53/10" etching clearly marked in the corner.

Yeah, that is the one I would really like, and would pay more for it, but can't find anywhere. This one looks like it could be the limited run with 53/10's, but it doesn't say in the ad what pups are in there.

https://reverb.com/item/39577026-prs-se-bernie-marsden-ltd-run-dark-cherry-burst-2018-coree
The 53/10 models came out at he end of 2012 for 2013 so feature the older design headstock and were limited in just 50 for the UK, the one pictured in the link shows a S serial number which makes it a 2018 model with the satinized neck.

Back