shimmilou

Established in 1963
I have wanted to get one of these for a while, thought it would be a cool addition to my collection. Saw one that was in excellent condition, all original with birds, and my offer didn't work out, then I saw this one. No birds, but it was also in excellent condition, the frets were like new, and it had a lot of upgrades. Locking bridge posts, a Lollar overwound P90, 500k CTS vol pot, added 250k CTS tone pot with .022 bumble bee cap, 50s wired, shielded cavity, Schaller strap lock buttons, tusq nut, and Grover locking tuners. The original pup was even included.

It is about the same light weight as my Soapbar II, same wide fat neck, great feel and excellent tone. The Lollar sounds richer/fuller than the PRS pup, with excellent clarity and definition, and fantastic smooth grind with distortion, still remaining articulate. The interaction between the vol and tone gives an interesting variety of tones. It is a little noisy when using distortion, like most any single coil would be, but not noticeable while playing. Very happy with this one, and my only criticism is the knobs are weird, and are difficult to get a grip on and I might try some knurled knobs later.

50316230037_dd4f5fb719_o.jpg

50316047421_a76bd55e87_o.jpg

50315379858_6f9c65d1d0_o.jpg

50315379813_e508ac32c1_o.jpg

50316047301_c00ded9f8d_o.jpg

Is it too much to ask if you could take a picture with the pickguard off? I've always been curious to see if they put a plug in the route for the neck pocket like the old HSS Studio models or if it's just open.

Very nice! Agree, the vol/tone do seem too close together. Not sure how that could be modded without significant work. PRS should really put soapbars back into the SE lineup (or S2 lineup for that matter).

Is it too much to ask if you could take a picture with the pickguard off? I've always been curious to see if they put a plug in the route for the neck pocket like the old HSS Studio models or if it's just open.

I will try to remember to take some pics when I change the strings. Will post in this thread.

Back