NUBD - New (Used) Bass Day - Gary Grainger 4 string, Fire Red (Burst?)

shinksma

What? I get a title?
I snagged the last "piece of the pie" in terms of basic (or bass-sick) variety of bass models for my wife. It arrived yesterday after some lags in getting shipped.

It is a rather nice looking Gary Grainger 4 string with rosewood fretboard in Fire Red Burst (not sure of the "burst", frankly):

y1UI41D.jpg

t9aYHVL.jpg

ckhRU1t.jpg

JQLBbHT.jpg

It has some rather nice "normal" grain that flows well against the flame:

ILeWq9k.jpg

It has a few small dings, which means neither my wife nor I are gonna feel bad if it gets another from hard work gigging or practicing. This is one of about three noticeable ones - the other two are down on the bottom, rear side as well:

YEXLXN1.jpg

She played it at practice last night. She said at first it felt heavier than her Kingfisher, but adjusted that comment after acknowledging it just might have been the OHSC that threw off her weight judgement.

But she really liked how it felt, nice action, etc. But her other PRS basses play very nicely too, so no knocking them!

She'll do a compare against the rest of her collection tonight, hopefully. She also has a Kingfisher, Kestrel, EB-4, and Bass-5. The Bass-5 is not really played, she hasn't quite sussed out that fifth string yet.

And while the EB-4 is a Tobacco Burst or maybe Sunburst finish, the rest are red. She seems to have a thing for red...

Cool! It looks awfully nice. I’d love to try one of them in person. Unfortunately, I’ve not had the chance to quite yet.

Thanks everyone!

I had a chance it play it a bit (I can play bass, just not my main instrument), and it is an really nice instrument! I need to figure out what the controls do - neither of us have had any chance to muck around, just got it to a nice sounding setting for band practice, and too busy since.

But I will also say that the other basses in her collection stand up to it quite well. The Kestrel and Kingfisher are no slouches! So if all I could afford was one of those, I would not feel short-changed.

(I mainly got her this GG so she could have a nice flame-maple top - all the others are "plain" tops, and if she gets a bass, I get a guitar, right?)

I snagged the last "piece of the pie" in terms of basic (or bass-sick) variety of bass models for my wife. It arrived yesterday after some lags in getting shipped.

It is a rather nice looking Gary Grainger 4 string with rosewood fretboard in Fire Red Burst (not sure of the "burst", frankly):

y1UI41D.jpg

t9aYHVL.jpg

ckhRU1t.jpg

JQLBbHT.jpg

It has some rather nice "normal" grain that flows well against the flame:

ILeWq9k.jpg

It has a few small dings, which means neither my wife nor I are gonna feel bad if it gets another from hard work gigging or practicing. This is one of about three noticeable ones - the other two are down on the bottom, rear side as well:

YEXLXN1.jpg

She played it at practice last night. She said at first it felt heavier than her Kingfisher, but adjusted that comment after acknowledging it just might have been the OHSC that threw off her weight judgement.

But she really liked how it felt, nice action, etc. But her other PRS basses play very nicely too, so no knocking them!

She'll do a compare against the rest of her collection tonight, hopefully. She also has a Kingfisher, Kestrel, EB-4, and Bass-5. The Bass-5 is not really played, she hasn't quite sussed out that fifth string yet.

And while the EB-4 is a Tobacco Burst or maybe Sunburst finish, the rest are red. She seems to have a thing for red...

VERY nice!

Back