NTTD......looking for suggestions!

bodia

Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved
So, the Mrs was cool enough to order me this!

M8MW9rT.jpg

Rush Hemispheres 40th Anniversary Super Deluxe release. I'm really pumped. Mostly because that was very sweet of her! As I am thanking her, I mentioned that I'd have to go out and get a turntable so I can enjoy the vinyl. She points to the square brown thing we have on top of the book case, collecting dust, and says, "can't you just use that?"

"That" is one of those little all in one CD/Cassette/Record players that you can grab at Target or Kohls. Not happening!

Hence, NTTD.....New Turn Table Day!

uDMMN4M.jpg

Nothing fancy, but it'll get the job done. I'd have to move an entire wall of entertainment center and shelves to get to the back of my receiver, which ain't happening. I figure that hooking it up to the receiver using Blue Tooth defeats the whole audio experience of vinyl. That leaves hooking it up to my Yamaha monitors. Of course, Radio Shack is out of business, and no one else locally carries RCA to 1/4 adaptors, so I ordered from Amazon.

While I'm waiting for them to show up, I figured I'd ask for some suggestions: I'm going to have to start a vinyl collection. What are some must have LPs? Toss out your favs. The ones you can't live without, and should only be experienced the "old fashioned" way.

I still think you’ll need some sort of preamp before you hit your monitors. I may have something for you the next time you come by.... besides tacos I mean.

Definitely gonna need a preamp to juice the monitors.

My list at the current moment:
Any of the Porcupine Tree albums are awesome on vinyl, but Deadwing or In Absentia are the standouts for me. They were just remastered and sound great.
-Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon"
-Queens of the Stone Age "Villains"
-Miles Davis "Kind of Blue"
-Clutch "Blast Tyrant"
-Hendrix, any of them really but "Are you Experienced" is my go-to
-Zeppelin 4
-Steven Wilson "To The Bone"

First off, starting a new vinyl collection is silly. Just let a few people who have grown out of theirs store them at your place.

That's a great plan!

I was expecting Neck TaTto Day when I open this thread. But you probably made a better choice buying a new turntable instead.

Hmmm.....I'm off a couple weeks at the end of December. May have to give that some thought!

I still think you’ll need some sort of preamp before you hit your monitors. I may have something for you the next time you come by.... besides tacos I mean.

Tacos, yes. Pre-amp, no. Apparently, in 2018, they put them right in the turn table. Ready to go. Line Out or Phono options.

To, hot. Congrats!

Thanks, buddy!

Any of the Porcupine Tree albums are awesome on vinyl, but Deadwing or In Absentia are the standouts for me. They were just remastered and sound great.
-Queens of the Stone Age "Villains"
-Miles Davis "Kind of Blue"
-Clutch "Blast Tyrant"
-Hendrix, any of them really but "Are you Experienced" is my go-to
-Zeppelin 4

Solid! Thanks. I did pick up Are You Experienced and Gilmour Live at Pompeii. It's a start!

I thought about it and my most favorite vinyl was the second disc of the white album (kill me now) and the first smiths record. for best results make sure they're scratched, and use a crusty needle.

Very cool!. Oddly my 15 YO son is into vinyl. He got a TT simular to yours. He picked up some used records this summer at some consignment shops plus he got his Trombone Shorty as vinyl instead of cd.

Love that kid

I've got one of the newer pressings of Abbey Road. It sounds excellent on my turntable.

I still have my old Denon turntable from the early '80s (had to buy a preamp for my latest A/V receiver), and quite a few albums. The only vinyl I have bought since the late '80s is the special edition of Big Big Train "Grimspound" and it sounds great.
The part of that Rush set you got I lust after is the Blu-Ray audio disc with the surround mix. I have quite a few of that format, along with such orphan technologies as DVD-A and SACD.
I don't quite get the renewed vinyl craze, even the best albums get pops and crackles after a few plays. If I want to reminisce, I can just put on the CD while frying a pan of bacon and get a similar effect......

I bought a ton of vinyl right before it became trendy. Not that I'm cutting edge by any stretch, but I acquired some cool albums and then got a decent old school Kenwood turntable at a thrift store for $8. New belt was $5 and it had a nice Grado stylus on it. Managed to find a bunch of cool albums and enjoy the heck out of it. Now I will actually buy the vinyl of an artist I like. I'm doing all streaming in the car between podcasts and Apple music, so the only real way my favorite artists get any cheddar is when I buy their product.

I have several Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson on DVD-A or Blu-Ray audio, and DSOTM on SACD - The surround mixes are unreal!

I have several Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson on DVD-A or Blu-Ray audio, and DSOTM on SACD - The surround mixes are unreal!

Virtually any surround mix that has Wilson's involvement gets rave reviews. He's one of those guys you wonder when he sleeps when you see all he's involved in.

Uh...DUH...just that first chord from Hemispheres, you know, the "Alex" chord...LOUD!!!, has got me thinking bad thoughts!!!! Congrats, and enjoy the TT...
In huge Queen kick...NOTW, NATO, and The Game are current faves. And I have to second the Porcupine Tree Stuff...especially Deadwing. oh, and Pink Floyd, DSOTM.
Also been really enjoying some older Johnny Cash...I'm sure there's plenty of his vinyl out there.
(Side note: I ALWAYS start anything new (Car stereo, home stereo, speakers, power amp, etc...) with Spirit of Radio!!!!)

Back