NtmRCD- New to me Refurbished Cab Day- or, a bigger cannon to fire an HXDA through!

Personally, I’ve preferred the 65 type speakers, over greenback types. I have not tried the 75Ts which should immediately discredit any “Mr. 80s rock head” titles I may want to give myself, but I’ve had 3 versions of actual Celestion greenbacks, and preferred both the Eminence Private Jack and the Warehouse ET65 over them by a wide margin. But, and this is a big but, NPI, that is in 1x and 2x cabs. I’ve never owned a 4x, and I have played them and fully recognize the magic of a 4x cab with greenbacks. The things greenbacks lack in singles and even in doubles, they can make up for a lot of in a 4x.

My Warehouse ET 65 is a great speaker though. And I’d bet Scumbacks are even better. If you’re rocking a single speaker cab , or even a 2x, I’d prefer a 65 type, mixed with something else (V, T, etc.). This is all taste, desired tone and amp dependent though of course.

Many people say that one of the main changes in tones from the "classic rock" 70s to the "80s metal" was the switch from greenbacks to T75s as the greenbacks are mid forward and the T's are mid scooped, but have more bass and highs. So put T's in the same cab, and yes, turn the mids knob down on on your JCM800, hit it with an OD and "HELLO 80's ROCK!"

I read one of the guys in a popular band back then who said in the studio, he'd track all his rhythm's and leads with the same amp head, but switch cabs. Rhythms were done with the T's, leads with the GBs. Tight,punch, bigger bottom rhythm tones, fat mids lead tones. I'm trying to remember who said that but it was in GP mag.

Yup - get that, and good description. I run mids and bass higher through the 4x12 that my 2x12 loaded V30's. Makes sense :)

It’s always good to hear player’s perceptions and choices on how they get to that target. We’ve all developed a formula through trial and error, or in my case often just dumb luck.

I specifically remember playing in a band in the 80s, doing Def Leppard and Hughes Thrall type music. It certainly sounded different from the 60 and 70s stuff of earlier bands, leading into a new rock era, and our sound had evolved to suit it. One day the other guitarist showed up with a 2x12 cab he built. He hooked it up, and I loved the sound. It was the sound of familiarity, like meeting someone from your hometown while abroad. This was my introduction to recognizing a specific speaker sound. They were Greenbacks. And ever since, I have been able to rely on them to find the sound of that era in rock music. He didn’t end up using the cab for the tunes we were doing then, but it made an impression that stuck.

I don’t know that they’re my favorite speaker, or if I even have one. But I do love their sound. I also have some EV speakers, some Altec, some Jensen, and others, and they all sound great for certain things too. Frankly, I could gig on any of them. None are that music-specific. But it is nice to have variety.

Congrats my man!!! Good thing the police already know you... otherwise you would have some serious noise complaints coming your way.

Crank it!!!
Man, I am so blessed in that way… no houses within 100 yards of my place. That buffer has saved me from many a complaint, I’m sure. It’s always a plus to be on good terms with the local constabulary, just in case!

As an aside, does a 4x12 sound different from a 2x12? Never played through one.

I can see where using a 4x12 cabinet could be used to mix and match up to four different speakers for a unique sound, but other than not bending over as far to make amp head adjustments I don't know what other advantages are. It used to be that you needed more projection for the 100 watt amps but doesn't miking cover part of that?

No, I don't have an urge to "Yngwie"

x7cWa5t.jpg

It’s a bit fuller with the 4x12. Plus, adding 2 more “air movers” to the box will give you more return per watt in coverage and volume, more so than adding more watts of power.

I’ve used two 4x12s, and couldn’t imagine standing in front of even two stacks, much less the Marshall wall that was so popular. I’m sure on a huge stage it’s different, but I wouldn’t want to brave even half of those being turned on!

It’s a bit fuller with the 4x12. Plus, adding 2 more “air movers” to the box will give you more return per watt in coverage and volume, more so than adding more watts of power.

I’ve used two 4x12s, and couldn’t imagine standing in front of even two stacks, much less the Marshall wall that was so popular. I’m sure on a huge stage it’s different, but I wouldn’t want to brave even half of those being turned on!
Normally only a couple are on and many times only one or two used, and one backup on, the rest not even on, and sometimes, as we've seen, not even real amps. But with Yngwie, they're all real amps. I've been beside or behind his wall of Marshalls twice. no props, all real amps and cabs! (That was years ago. That is a HUGE burden of shipping to travel around with all off those like he does if they're still real, when much bigger bands are doing modelers and "prop stacks" just to save on shipping on big tours)

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats my man!!! Good thing the police already know you... otherwise you would have some serious noise complaints coming your way.

Crank it!!!

Man, I am so blessed in that way… no houses within 100 yards of my place. That buffer has saved me from many a complaint, I’m sure. It’s always a plus to be on good terms with the local constabulary, just in case!

Got to have some perks ;)

Back