NRED:New Recording Equipment Day

clcwarlock

Given my new years resolution of recording originals I think I got together most of the equipment I need. I bought 2-SM57 mics for micing the guitar amp, Mic stand, Addictive Drums + Metal Pack+Diabolic and a set of original Mackie MR5 monitors from ebay. I am using Reaper for the DAW software and I have a Line 6 UX2 for the preamp mic/guitar input, I can use modelor or mic my Amp. Only thing I think I need now is a sm58 for vocals. How does this setup sound so far and what else is critical?

I think you can accomplish quite a bit with your selections, a mid-priced large diaphragm condenser microphone would be another thought before getting into nicer mic pres.

That's a great starting setup! You really only need one mic for your guitar tracks. In fact, I think the ux2 only has one mic input, so if you wanted to multi-mic your amp, you'll need to get a mixer. But single mic'ing will yield great results, and you don't have to worry about phasing issues. If you absolutely want two tracks out of one take, you could record a mic'd amp AND a modeled amp tone with the same take. Otherwise, just copy and paste that one mic'd take, then layer and pan them for a thicker sound.

Also, you can actually use an sm57 for vocals. It may not be the top choice by all the pros, but it's more common than you think.

That's a great starting setup! You really only need one mic for your guitar tracks. In fact, I think the ux2 only has one mic input, so if you wanted to multi-mic your amp, you'll need to get a mixer. But single mic'ing will yield great results, and you don't have to worry about phasing issues. If you absolutely want two tracks out of one take, you could record a mic'd amp AND a modeled amp tone with the same take. Otherwise, just copy and paste that one mic'd take, then layer and pan them for a thicker sound.

Also, you can actually use an sm57 for vocals. It may not be the top choice by all the pros, but it's more common than you think.

My Line 6 actually does have 2 Low inpedance inputs for mic's that say left and right on them for simultaneous recording. I bought 2 mics because I thought I would get better results running 1 mic straight on and 1 mic off Axis, at least this is what Peter D. from the PRS experience said to do to get a close representation off how your amplifier actually sounds. Do I still need to worry about phasing issues?

I think you can accomplish quite a bit with your selections, a mid-priced large diaphragm condenser microphone would be another thought before getting into nicer mic pres.
Agreed. Sounds like you're ready to get started! Even a lower priced large dia. condenser will bring a lot more vocal presence to the mix. Also can be good on acoustics, guitar amps, etc.

Sounds like a perfectly decent setup.

What are the specs for your computer?

Its a dual core dell desktop with 4gb of ram, Windows Vista (All of th updates) and 2.5tb of disk space (1.5tb is an external drive for Backupexec System Recovery) and like I said before I am using the Line 6 UX2 via USB.

Its a dual core dell desktop with 4gb of ram, Windows Vista (All of th updates) and 2.5tb of disk space (1.5tb is an external drive for Backupexec System Recovery) and like I said before I am using the Line 6 UX2 via USB.

Should be fine.

The only time you may run into issues would be when you have a number of tracks on the go and / or VST's / Effects.

Is there room in your PC case for a second HDD?

Back