NPSSCHBSpD

kingsleyd

Wot?

Earlier this year, my friend Craig Snyder, proprietor of the boutique retailer CR Guitars, and longtime NYC studio guitarist, bent my ear about PRS. I guess I was about the only person he knew who (a) was a pretty serious player, and (b) knew anything at all about PRS. Apparently he'd run into Paul somewhere, and Paul wanted him to consider carrying the PRS acoustics at his shop, at least the PS ones. Paul sent Craig a few guitars which Craig played then sent back with a few criticisms and several suggestions for improvement.

Craig is a picky, picky guy. But he also grew up in his father's guitar shop and has been deep in the guitar world for a long, long time. His pickiness is based on a lifetime of playing and being around great guitars. (and guitarists... and guitar builders...)

Anyway, Craig also ended up spec-ing out a couple of PS electrics, with my help. He was looking for something with a distinct visual and sonic identity that would fit the ethos of his shop as well as the needs of his customers, and which would be something different than what one finds at several of the well-known dealers who sell a lot of PS guitars.

Craig and I have a mutual love of the sound of the classic spruce-top Gibson electrics: Super 400 CES, L-5CES -- the sounds of classic early-60s, Kenny Burrell; Larry Coryell in the Gary Burton group; etc, etc. So one of the spec'd guitars was a single-cut Hollowbody Spruce. Craig prefers understated elegance, and the idea for the guitar was to be a showcase for some of the great wood that PRS has in their stash, without extraneous bling. I connected with that idea right away, as I had owned & played a basic Hollowbody Spruce for several years, which was a great workhorse guitar although I always thought the pickups could have been better.

So, four months go by (give or take) and Craig calls me up out of the blue to gush about how well the two PS electrics (the other was/is a McCarty Trem with a Brazilian rosewood neck; more about that one later) came out. He even did a quick iPhone video of himself playing the HBSp. I was up in NY for the Woodstock guitar show last weekend, and since the CR shop is fairly near Woodstock, I headed over to check out the new guitars. (Craig always has a bunch of killing new guitars, every time I go there I end up leaving thinking "and I thought mine were so good!" :() Well, the hollowbody took my breath away. I've been chasing this thing for a few years now, a sound that I have in my head, that I just haven't been able to find. Not for lack of trying -- and buying new guitars. It had never occurred to me that PRS could nail it. But nail it they did. I was particularly glad that, for unrelated reasons, I happened to have my #1 amplifier on the trip with me. When we fired up the HBSp through my amp, the guitar came alive in a whole new way, and any doubt I had about whether it was truly my guitar vanished.

Now I'm trying to convince Craig and Paul to put it out there as my signature model, LOL! Regardless, it's a fabulous addition to the PRS oeuvre, and Craig is going to order more of them.

EDIT: new versions of the photos which will, hopefully, render properly across different viewers:

body%20front%20exp.jpg

body%20back%20exp.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful figured mahogany neck:

neck%20back%20exp.jpg

Closeup of the bird of paradise inlay:

paradise%20inlay%201%20exp.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like a killer guitar!! But the pics aren't working for me :(. But man I do love me a sweet hollow body.

Last edited:
NICE!!! I remember being shown that fretboard during the PRS Experience...thought the inlays were a very cool idea.

Fixed the pics for you. Classic styling, must sound incredible for YOU to gush so much. Congrats!

Jamie

Fixed the pics for you. Classic styling, must sound incredible for YOU to gush so much. Congrats!

Y'know, Jamie, I think you'd really like this one as well.

Of course it's a fastball down the middle of the plate for my thing that I do, that sort of jazz-ish instrumental routine, but I finally had a chance to fire it up at home yesterday and it turns out that it's amazingly good for loud, crunchy, classic rock tones. I'm playing in a rock band that does a lot of Led Zeppelin tunes, and other stuff like that, and this guitar sounds shockingly good through an overdriven or fuzzed-out amp. Try doing THAT with an L-5CES!

Another killer HB with 57/08's. I think I'm finally going to take the plunge and bring mine in to the PTC for a pup swap...

Jamie

Another killer HB with 57/08's. I think I'm finally going to take the plunge and bring mine in to the PTC for a pup swap...

I'll tell ya, they are SUCH an improvement over the old Archtop pickups. Love love LOVE 'em in this guitar. I think a pup swap is just the ticket for your beautiful HB. (which is still to this day one of my all-time favorite PRS guitars)

Hopefully the photos should be showing for everyone now.

in the meantime here's a link to CR's feature on the guitar: http://www.crguitars.com/site/items/prs-private-stock-sc-hb-natural-burst

and, while I'm at it, here's the McCarty Trem/ Brazilian: http://www.crguitars.com/site/items/prs-private-stock-mccarty

Mother of sweet baby jesus, that guitar is awesome. The inlay is espcially cool, love the design and execution.

The McCarty Trem is pretty nice as well. Olive is an amazing finish. PRS have really stepped up their game in the past few years imo.

I love the aesthetic of that guitar. The idea that it's about the tone, that it highlights the quality of the woods chosen, appeals to me on a lot of levels.

And if you say it sounds great, then I'm a believer!

I love the aesthetic of that guitar. The idea that it's about the tone, that it highlights the quality of the woods chosen, appeals to me on a lot of levels.

I knew you'd get it, Les. This is the essence of what Craig is about as a guitarist and guitar dealer. That he's willing to be a dealer for PRS speaks volumes about what PRS are capable of these days.

I know I'm preaching to the choir in here, but as you know there are still a great number of experienced players who pooh-pooh PRS guitars as mediocre, tone-wise, as boring and generic. Craig was one of them! I'd like to think I had a part in convincing him otherwise, but really all I did was give him some insight into what options might work best for what he had in mind because I'm more familiar with PRS than anyone else he knew. PRSH was the one who did the initial sales pitch. (and Paul was apparently very involved with these two guitars, as he seems very motivated to gain Craig's approval -- which is a lot more about RESPECT than it is $$$, 'cos CR is never gonna be a high-volume dealer )

Craig told me that he thought the spruce guitar which I bought was the equal of any guitar he's ever seen from anyone, and that includes the likes of D'Angelico, D'Aquisto, Monteleone, et. al.

And if you say it sounds great, then I'm a believer!

Take a listen to the video I just posted! Of course that's only a thimbleful of what it can do. But it's a good thimbleful.

Hey, Les, btw, you would have a lot to chat about with Craig -- his main source of income for many years has been his own little studio, which mainly does music for commercials. Mostly top-level stuff.

He was also recently feted in his hometown, Philadelphia, for his role in the old TSOP records from the '70s. (he was a studio guitarist for a lot of the hits that came out of that school)

Back