NPD! (New Prototype Day!)

igwL3w4.png

Great googly-moogly!!

Sweet top!

perhaps i've missed recent posts but it seems that you've been slacking off for some time. glad to see you getting NGDs again!

The LT+ is only available in the SC594 model, they are not used in anything else. They are tuned to be slightly brighter and a touch louder than the traditional LT pups.

Found this this morning from Shawn from a 5815 LT+ thread. Interesting. "Slightly brighter and a touch louder than the traditional LT pickups."

Yes, I wholehearted agree re both! I like the louder part, no question. They are a bit on the bright side, which sometimes is good, other times I roll off the tone knob to dial it in (usually at higher gain).

S.C. Proto 1 vs SC Proto 2

Who wins?

Ha! I knew that question was coming.

I was fearful of doing an A/B and finding out for myself. I did that late last night - it was interesting! The 2016 Private Stock Prototype edges out the new one, but the new one comes the closest to it of any guitar since 2016. (Including about 8 or so R9's/R7's I got in 2017 to match up against the 2016 Prototype! Some of those were really good guitars, but none could hold a candle to the 2016 Prototype.) The 2016 Prototype has a hair more low end girth, but is still very balanced across the frequencies. That has always been its magical quality, as Sergio, BrianC, Bodia and others that have heard it and played it can attest to. But this new one is pretty close, it is a beast!

I would say that is a pretty impressive endorsement for these new 2020 SC 594s!

Now I want an extra set of 5815 LT+ Pickups for the 2016 Prototype! :) (There is only ONE way to do that right now - sounds like an expensive proposition for a set of pickups...)

Last edited:
Wha....???

You’re getting all the good stuff!! :eek:

How do you find this stuff?? Like, just Google PRS prototype when you sense one?
giphy.gif

Congrats! One of the nicest tops I’ve seen! :D

Best response on this thread so far!!

It literally made me laugh out loud... :)

Ha! I knew that question was coming.

I was fearful of doing an A/B and finding out for myself. I did that late last night - it was interesting! The 2016 Private Stock Prototype edges out the new one, but the new one comes the closest to it of any guitar since 2016. (Including about 8 or so R9's/R7's I got in 2017 to match up against the 2016 Prototype! Some of those were really good guitars, but none could hold a candle to the 2016 Prototype.) The 2016 Prototype has a hair more low end girth, but is still very balanced across the frequencies. That has always been its magical quality, as Sergio, BrianC, Bodia and others that have heard it and played it can attest to. But this new one is pretty close, it is a beast!

I would say that is a pretty impressive endorsement for these new 2020 SC 594s!

Now I want an extra set of 5815 LT+ Pickups for the 2016 Prototype! :) (There is only ONE way to do that right now - sounds like an expensive proposition for a set of pickups...)

That was my question also. Welcome back and Congratulations on all your New Adquisitions Pete!

Dang Pete, that is a fabulous guitar! For us mortals it is like impossible to ever obtain a prototype and you have how many already? You know what that makes you, right? ;)

Dang Pete, that is a fabulous guitar! For us mortals it is like impossible to ever obtain a prototype and you have how many already? You know what that makes you, right? ;)
If we all follow his lead, and collect prototypes, so that we are all just like him, but he was the first, then we could say he was...

...wait for it...

...the prototype prototype.

Hmm...

Project "5815 LT+ Comparison in the two Prototypes"
  • Step 1: Find and buy another cool 2020 SC 594 - we will call that the "Donor Guitar"
  • Step 2: Remove LT+ pickups from new guitar and put them in the 2016 SC 594 Holy Grail Prototype
  • Step 3: Put 5815s or 5708s in the Donor Guitar and enjoy that one as a "hotter pickup" guitar for an SC 594
  • Step 4: A/B the two prototypes with 5815 LT+ pickups and report back to you guys here on that Apples to Apples comparison

It is my duty to do #4 for you guys here, as the unofficial and self-proclaimed SC 594 Club President! ;)

I guess I know my next fun search...

:)

Hmm...

Project "5815 LT+ Comparison in the two Prototypes"
  • Step 1: Find and buy another cool 2020 SC 594 - we will call that the "Donor Guitar"
  • Step 2: Remove LT+ pickups from new guitar and put them in the 2016 SC 594 Holy Grail Prototype
  • Step 3: Put 5815s or 5708s in the Donor Guitar and enjoy that one as a "hotter pickup" guitar for an SC 594
  • Step 4: A/B the two prototypes with 5815 LT+ pickups and report back to you guys here on that Apples to Apples comparison

It is my duty to do #4 for you guys here, as the unofficial and self-proclaimed SC 594 Club President! ;)

I guess I know my next fun search...

The sacrifices you make in the name of “forum brotherhood” is out of this world.

We appreciate your selflessness!;)

The sacrifices you make in the name of “forum brotherhood” is out of this world.

We appreciate your selflessness!;)

Happy to help!! :)

Update today re Prototype comparison.

NAD - 30W HXDA. I used to have a 50W HXDA, loved it when cranked, not as stellar at sane volumes. With Ox Box, problem solved! (That thing is a game-changer...) Sounds great!

30hNluD.jpg

A/B today between the two Prototypes, with the HXDA a good volume to push the speaker in the 1x12 and move some air - holy cow, it is pretty darn close!!

If a "Core PRS" in this 2020 SC 594 with new LT+ pickups and Nitro finish can come within spitting distance of my Holy Grail Private Stock SC 594 Prototype, then they have done something special here with the 2020 tweaks! (Well, this one was probably built with some extra care and cherry-picked to be one sent to CME, but still...) None of my Wood Library or Core 2017 SC 594s came this close to the Holy Grail guitar. They were fantastic by any previous standard of a PRS Singlecut, or competitive model of any sort, but none of them made the Holy Grail guitar nervous. This one has the Holy Grail guitar looking over its shoulder at least!

My second best PRS solid bodied SC ever! (Which is saying a lot given the sample size.) I will take that anytime for a new acquisition.

Back