nowhere

jxe

babe en der wood
i am from northwest florida and have been doing boring government environmental junk in portland oregon since 2001, and just got an assignment that is 100% remote so i can move anywhere in the us now. my wife is from like tacoma snd wants to move someplace where we can have a horse and maybe a small (dexter) cow or two. we have ~$400k, two cats, and not much else.

you guys have about 3000 years combined experience, any ideas? i am obviously a ‘free spirit’ and such.

Well, if you can be anywhere, affordability would certainly be a factor.
I would consider ability to do things I like doing outside of work, climate and proximity to friends and family.
I would probably pick from the best of places I’ve already spent enough time in to know how I really feel about it.

i’ll check it out. i lived in indiana once (september to december) and froze my face off, so i don’t know if i would survive december to march in the midwest, as much as i like chicahgo dahgs.

places i have lived are pensacola fl, orlando fl, bloomington in, tallahassee fl, austin tx, and portland or. i don’t make a huge lot of money (like ~$100k) so park avenue and anywhere near san francisco are probably out.

i’ll check it out. i lived in indiana once (september to december) and froze my face off, so i don’t know if i would survive december to march in the midwest, as much as i like chicahgo dahgs.

places i have lived are pensacola fl, orlando fl, bloomington in, tallahassee fl, austin tx, and portland or. i don’t make a huge lot of money (like ~$100k) so park avenue and anywhere near san francisco are probably out.

You can live quite comfortably in Iowa with that kind of income.
I'm in SE iowa. 4ish hours from chicago and St Louis. I.5 hours from QC 1 hour from CR. 2 hours from DES Moines.

i am from northwest florida and have been doing boring government environmental junk in portland oregon since 2001, and just got an assignment that is 100% remote so i can move anywhere in the us now. my wife is from like tacoma snd wants to move someplace where we can have a horse and maybe a small (dexter) cow or two. we have ~$400k, two cats, and not much else.

you guys have about 3000 years combined experience, any ideas? i am obviously a ‘free spirit’ and such.

WTF dude no dog????!!! I have the perfect place...but I can't tell you...ya, know...because of the whole no dog thing...sorry...:D

Seriously though, that sounds like an amazing opportunity. Since you asked... You should definitely take your time and find something that fits both of you well.

From my experience it's a rare and very cool thing to have this sort of freedom, to be able to do that is gonna be amazing! All that being said here's my advice...unless you just enjoy living in a state that has to deal with things like "Grapefruit" size hail stones, the real threat of an F5 tornado...for like 9 months of the year, ridiculously hot and humid summers that last like 9 months,...I strongly advise steerig waaaay away from Alabama...I know, I know...thanks captain obvious...

Get a funking dog bro...ya need a dog...priorities bro, it's all about priorities...best of luck to you guys in your search...oh and....just relax and soak in the process!

Georgia. It’s warm enough and cheap enough to have a pool, there’s Atlanta so you’re not completely without a metropolitan area, and Savanna is great too. It’s not too racist-y if you’re a POC, and there’s something to the whole southern charm thing.

Inspired by this thread, I looked up homes on Zillow down there, and the median home prices are about 175k.... Damn! I was looking at full-on 4-5 bed and 3 baths for what my sh!tty suburban Chicago townhouse costs!

I was in a band who’s manager was a retired pro-baseball player, so we spent a few winters down there near Valdosta... plenty of space nearby for farm-ish living.

good suggestions all around. we’re looking at some places in georgia, and you are right — you get a 7000sqft mansion on 30 acres over there for the price of a ghetto farm in central oregon. hard to take.

no one is suggesting anywhere exotic, like hawaii or jackson hole or west palm beach?

no one is suggesting anywhere exotic, like hawaii or jackson hole or west palm beach?

Nothing’s more fabulous/exotic than Detroit.

Yeah, I know. It’s improved a lot, but I’m still kidding around. Yet I’ve lived in the area my whole life. I have to wonder about myself.

my wife specifically told me to tell you that a dog is definitely in the picture, soon as we have a yard.

WTF dude no dog????!!! I have the perfect place...but I can't tell you...ya, know...because of the whole no dog thing...sorry...:D

Seriously though, that sounds like an amazing opportunity. Since you asked... You should definitely take your time and find something that fits both of you well.

From my experience it's a rare and very cool thing to have this sort of freedom, to be able to do that is gonna be amazing! All that being said here's my advice...unless you just enjoy living in a state that has to deal with things like "Grapefruit" size hail stones, the real threat of an F5 tornado...for like 9 months of the year, ridiculously hot and humid summers that last like 9 months,...I strongly advise steerig waaaay away from Alabama...I know, I know...thanks captain obvious...

Get a funking dog bro...ya need a dog...priorities bro, it's all about priorities...best of luck to you guys in your search...oh and....just relax and soak in the process!

Back