Now I'm a piano player...... (*REMIX)

Huggy Love

Vintage member
***REVISED MIX*** (with bass) ........ figured out my mixing booboo:oops:, thx for listening.

I put a lot of work into this, to do a semi-legit sounding piano thing. My past tunes have employed the organ/B3 sound on my gtr/synth interface, and that's much easier to make sound authentic, the piano patch is another story altogether. It took me a lot of takes and a little bit of editing to get it to sound right, and still (to my ears) it doesn't sound real, but I tested it out on some non-musicians and they couldn't tell, so here we go.

https://soundcloud.com/tonybsongwriting/fale-comigo-speak-to-me

How did I do on faking off a piano?

n4SCVjg.jpg

(song artwork photo)

Last edited:
The tune is awesome! The piano sounds great. As a long time MIDI guitar user, I could notice a few spots where the piano phrasing didn't flow exactly like a real piano, but like you said, no layperson would ever notice, and the piece overall is killer!

...... Yea right.:p

But I did put a lot of work into this, to do a semi-legit sounding piano thing. My past tunes have employed the organ/B3 sound on my gtr/synth interface, and that's much easier to make sound authentic, the piano patch is another story altogether. It took me a lot of takes and a little bit of editing to get it to sound right, and still (to my ears) it doesn't sound real, but I tested it out on some non-musicians and they couldn't tell, so here we go.

https://soundcloud.com/tonybsongwriting/fale-comigo-speak-to-me

How did I do on faking off a piano?

n4SCVjg.jpg

(song artwork photo)
Great stuff!!

I'm totally embarrassed (and surprised) that everybody liked it when I went back and listened to it but it had NO BASS. It was there when I uploaded it and made the vid but how gone/poof.o_O

I actually have a good baseline in it but now I have to remix and re-upload all over again:mad:.

..... stay tuned.

You did a great job. It would sound more natural if you went into the sequence and reduced the velocities on the hard sounding notes, since they’re banging pretty hard. Most, if not all, DAWs have velocity limiting choices, and/or allow individual notes to be adjusted.

Also you might want to add some sustain pedal here and there. This can be done with a simple momentary switch or foot pedal, just record it right over the piano’s midi piano track, or create a second track with the same instrument assignment in most DAWs. You can probably also insert the sustain on-offs into the event list manually, though that’s tedious.

You did a great job. It would sound more natural if you went into the sequence and reduced the velocities on the hard sounding notes, since they’re banging pretty hard. Most, if not all, DAWs have velocity limiting choices, and/or allow individual notes to be adjusted.

Also you might want to add some sustain pedal here and there. This can be done with a simple momentary switch or foot pedal, just record it right over the piano’s midi piano track, or create a second track with the same instrument assignment in most DAWs. You can probably also insert the sustain on-offs into the event list manually, though that’s tedious.

Yea, I went a little overboard on the dynamics, trying to get that human feel, fooled most, but not a discerning ear like yours. There is a way to adjust all that somewhere in Logic Pro but I think I should rather spend my time & efforts on playing guitar and writing better so I can attract a top notch keyboardist to do it for me.:D

Yea, I went a little overboard on the dynamics, trying to get that human feel, fooled most, but not a discerning ear like yours. There is a way to adjust all that somewhere in Logic Pro but I think I should rather spend my time & efforts on playing guitar and writing better so I can attract a top notch keyboardist to do it for me.:D

In Logic the adjustments would take about a minute.

Back