Now have a pair of SEs so I thought I'd join

Sollophonic

I have had a Singlecut Soapbar for some time and I use and play it regularly.

Recently I got a rather worn and battered Tremonti, which I have spruced up, tidying up the frets, adding a bone nut, and covers to the pickup, etc

Thought I'd post a pic of my two SEs which have both had a tough life, and are getting quite a bit of solid gigging with me too.

Great forum here, I used to go on Birds and Moons yonks ago, but sdaly that is no more

Welcome, and nice SE's!!!

Those might have some mileage on them, but they're clearly still showing up for work! I was just recently thinking about how one of my SE's has done so well with a lot of use.

I know, its often said that you don't often get PRS guitars that look worn and used, but these two are a bit of an exception.

I am a Tele player firstly, so I like my well used workhorses, but these two have joined them and step up to the mark too.

The Soapbar has had a pickup swap, it has a SD Hot 90 in the bridge and a Wilkinson in the neck, but I have been using the Tremonti with its stock pickups as I love the neck and middle tone on it. Might swap out the bridge pickup for something a bit lairier though. Still keep the nickel covers though, these are a great find, no loss of treble.

That's a slick lookin' Tremonti. I love the binding and dot inlays. Your choice of knobs for it is spot on. Makes it looks like a black LP and a Tele Deluxe had a baby.

In my experience rather than swapping the bridge pickup in the older SEs, they take very well to a magnet swap. With whatever magnet they use stock, the pickup is sort of one dimensional and has a congested nasally midrange I don't care for. I put an Unoriented Alnico 5 magnet (rough cast) in one and it compared very favorably to more boutiquey pickups. That mid-snarl was gone and it just sounded like a good overwound PAF type. I even sent it to "crgtr" when he was doing a major pickup comparison video a few years ago and he seemed impressed. You can get magnets from AddictionFX on ebay for super cheap, like less than $5.

Back