not going to watch anymore posted videos....

This is an interesting observation.

Some people work the other way though and really only come alive with an audience. Suddenly there is a reason to kick it up a notch and be all that you can be.

I'm like that. If the crowd responds, I tend to play better. A lot of places I used to play people didn't listen so all night was a drag but if I threw in a lick to see if anyone was paying attention, even other band members, and I got SOME reaction, it made the night better.

I'm like that. If the crowd responds, I tend to play better. A lot of places I used to play people didn't listen so all night was a drag but if I threw in a lick to see if anyone was paying attention, even other band members, and I got SOME reaction, it made the night better.

When I was in HS band, if you wanted to move up a chair you had to officially challenge the person ahead of you. If you were a second chair player and wanted to be a first chair you had to actually play against them. You notified conductor and he would set up a challenge time. He'd give both musicians some music to perform and the two of you had to play solo in front of the conductor and often times other more senior band members. There were a lot of people unwilling to "challenge" because they were deathly afraid of playing in front of people by themselves.

I was never afraid back then. I often did solo trumped stuff at my church and was quite comfortable playing in front of crowds. Fast forward to about a year ago when I started playing guitar...did a bunch of Justin Guitar lessons, got all my open chords down pretty well and decided to start taking live lessons. Holy crap...it was like I forgot everything trying to play simple stuff in front of the instructor. I could feel myself getting tense and stressed.

When I was in HS band, if you wanted to move up a chair you had to officially challenge the person ahead of you. If you were a second chair player and wanted to be a first chair you had to actually play against them. You notified conductor and he would set up a challenge time. He'd give both musicians some music to perform and the two of you had to play solo in front of the conductor and often times other more senior band members. There were a lot of people unwilling to "challenge" because they were deathly afraid of playing in front of people by themselves.

My senior year in HS, we got a new band director, and he did that whole challenge thing. Dude was a total d!ck - I had a lot of run-ins with him early in the year because of work, he totally screwed me on my first 9-weeks grade (long story), and a couple years later, he was later arrested for molesting middle-school aged girls. I had switched from drums to French horn to tuba, and there were two of us in the tuba section that year (three sax players switched to tuba for marching band, but we were the only two permanent tubas). Every time he said we would have challenges, whichever one of us wasn't currently the section leader would challenge the other. That meant going out into the hall with the drum major. She'd tell us who was first and who was second, we'd play, the band would vote. But about half the time, only one of us would play both parts. Every time the other guy played both parts, I'd "win".

Just gotta remind yourself that music is NOT A COMPETITION. It's about playing MUSIC. Two of my favorite artists, BB King and Neil Young made/make incredibly wonderful music that's as simple as the day is long (or as this past month was long). So stop trying to be great and remind yourself to play with feeling and commitment. And some days nothing will happen, but some days you'll hit a vein and mine that thing until it's dry and those are the days you live for. As far as chops, technique, understanding of the fretboard, etc, I'm extremely low down on the food chain as guitar players go. There are a lot of fine ones out there. But on those days when I hit a vein, I make music that has all of the grace and beauty and taste I have in my soul and it's a wonderful, amazing feeling when it comes pouring out. And in those moments, I'd don't give a rip what I CAN'T play - I'm just loving what I CAN play. So it doesn't bother me that a lot of players are overwhelmingly better than I'll ever even think of being. Because that's not what it's about, that's not why we do it. If it was, EVERYONE would have quit by now except maybe a few folks at the very top of each genre.

Hell, I remember when I was a little kid and I was just absolutely enthralled by the sound of someone just strumming cowboy chords on an acoustic, singling folk songs or bad Beatles imitations or whatever. I never could have imagined that I'd be able to do that someday. And now I can, and a lot more than that. And some days I just pick up my Martin and get lost strumming three or four easy chords an just letting it ring out. How much better do you need to be than that?

-Ray

Man......this thread speaks to me.

Suckitude is a new word I will use often going forward. I laughed when I read it.

I always wish for more, better skills especially when I see videos of great players.

I cleanly fall into the suckitude category but it is what it is. Job, family and all that other stuff keeps me from spending hours practicing like I did as a teenager.

There was a great point made, years ago at a gig this guy comes up to me as we go on break. He starts talking guitar stuff and convinces me to let him play my rig for a couple on minutes. This went on for about 15 minutes, he was a total dick.

Later that night after he'd had a few beers I see him in the can. He tells me that he is a much better player than I was( he actually was) but nobody will play with him.

I said " nobody wants to play with an a$$hole". The only thing in question was which one of us made the more accurate statement.

As I get older my expectations for a band gets higher. I will not play in a band that lacks professional attitude or dedication.

My last band had a singer that was very limited. He couldn't count, he could not sing harmonies and he would not work on improving his skills. I even offered to help him learn to count but he was insulted. His attitude sucked something fierce so no improvements were made.

He ran cabinets over my Intex cables and I watched him tear the tolex on my guitar case. I finally blew my top and we had a huge blowout, I found myself begging for him to try and hit me.

Shortly after that I quit and the band folded.

I like the project I'm involved with now. It is a learning experience for me and I feel like it's forcing me to improve in all areas.

Don't know if I'll ever get off the suckitude list but at least my cables and cases are safe!

That video is perfect. I listen to music that moves me and gives me chills...music, not technique. I appreciate the technical stuff, but I don't love it.

I remember when Satriani sued Coldplay over a song. I laughed and probably posted on Facebook that it doesn't matter what the outcome is over that lawsuit, Coldplay wins. They make music.

If you offered to pay me a million dollars to tell you a Steve Vai song, you'd get to keep your million.

If you offered to pay me a million dollars to tell you a Steve Vai song, you'd get to keep your million.

That kind of makes me chuckle because Vai was the first of "those guys" where I could hear the song structure. Maybe I gave Vai more of a chance because of his history w/Zappa. I hear more of it now with Satch. But if you played a random Vai or Satch song, odds are I'd have trouble identifying which of the two it was, and almost no chance of identifying the song. It just doesn't register with me at that level. But play something from Vai's "Sex And Religion" album (which is more of a band/song-oriented album), and I'll pretty much know it right away. That's more in tune with the way I'm wired.

I accepted my technical limitations a long time ago. That doesn't mean I'm not trying to improve almost 50 years into this thing, but I know I'll never have that speed or fluidity. But what I can do is play to the song, and play the kind of solo that the song needs. I was just reminded of this yesterday - I listen to a podcast that started by going through the Kiss catalog song-by-song. Now they're doing random songs from listener requests. This week's episode - "Cat Scratch Fever" by Nitro, a cover of the Ted Nugent song. Michael Angelo Batio is a great technical player, but listening to the solo, he had almost no sense of the song. It starts with a nod to the Nugent solo, but then devolves into flash and technique with almost no regard for what's going on in the rest of the song. It's an impressive display of skill, and I never need to hear it again. I'll take Ted's solo over that all day.

I've pushed myself to post my playing a little more the last couple years. It's a bit out of my comfort zone, but it's a chance to be heard and get some feedback. And it's probably better than finishing the song and just putting it up on a shelf.

As I get older my expectations for a band gets higher. I will not play in a band that lacks professional attitude or dedication.

Playing music should be fun, but for it to be fun, put in the work in before rehearsal.

Turn up on time, help out, listen, use your dynamics to shape the song.

These are simple things that most amateur musicians seem to either ignore or find difficult to comprehend.

That video is perfect. I listen to music that moves me and gives me chills...music, not technique. I appreciate the technical stuff, but I don't love it.

I remember when Satriani sued Coldplay over a song. I laughed and probably posted on Facebook that it doesn't matter what the outcome is over that lawsuit, Coldplay wins. They make music.

Different genres for different audiences, or even different moods.

I couldn’t name a SV song either, but I can still appreciate the knowledge he’s gathered and where it has lead him.

Yankee Rose...does that count? Love that song! Eat 'em and Smile was a fantastic album. But I agree, the heavy technicians like Vai, Satriani, Malmstein...they bore me. I heard Satriani's "Summer Song" on the radio the other day and it gave me flashbacks of 1987 and my senior year of HS...Surfing with the Alien album was huge that year. Problem is, Summer Song came out in 1992 on The Extremist album. It all sounds the same.

Love this thread!

Also feel I'm not good enough certainly when comparing myself to some of the guys on youtube and especially when comparing myself to the professional and established musicians I listen to…

I play with a band (a few friends from my neighbourhood that just happen to play guitar/piano, bass, and drums - and somehow listen to the same type of music - and somehow are all cool. When I read some other horror stories about a-hole band members and attitudes, I can't believe how lucky we are.) We just jam once a week and play a few gigs a year. I feel like my solo's are never any good and my timing is just - off. but on occasion We'll listen back to the recording and say to the other guitarist, "is that you? That sounds awesome!" to which he'll reply, "no I think that's you". "Damn, I actually sound good right there" lol. So yeah - I just want to get to a point where my solos are always "acceptable". They don't have to all be awesome, just not fumbling. ...Then perhaps I'll raise my expectations another level. So I've been stepping up my practicing and working on timing more (with metronome and/or backing track). I've also started to learn some music theory - I've blown that off my whole guitar playing life so far.

I feel like I’m cursed with my taste of music as a guitar player. I mainly listen to extremely technical progressive metal so I basically always feel like I’m a terrible player compared to some of these amazing guys.

What really blew my mind was showing these amazing solos to my wife, who isn’t a musician, and she didn’t like them at all! I was going on about their technique and speed and she could care a less, she much prefers bands like Weezer and My Chemical Romance.

I realized that I’m in the minority of what I like and I’m comparing myself to guys that are literally at the very top of their field, like Jason Richardson. Obviously I will never be as good as them but I’m still practicing my sweep picking and technique and I’ve gotten better because of it. I let players that are better than me inspire me to improve myself, even if I still get nowhere close to them, and in the back of my mind I get comfort in knowing the majority of people aren’t comparing me to the most prolific shredders because they don’t know who they even are anyways.

this is my life

First of all, while I never would have guessed it from the thread title (big applause for the anti-clickbait title. ) this is one of the best threads I've read lately. If's funny how we talk about this stuff ALL the time and many of us have been here for years, yet you gain more insight into one of your forum brothers in one post sometimes, than what you have in years prior!

But if you played a random Vai or Satch song, odds are I'd have trouble identifying which of the two it was, and almost no chance of identifying the song. It just doesn't register with me at that level.

These type posts always interest and intrigue me as it's an insight into what "registers" with us as players. What hits us in the gut, or the soul if you will. I could tell Vai from Satch in a note or two on anything I've ever heard from either, and could identify which one it was by the song every time as well. But, I have every album by each. Ironically, while I love both of them, I really don't listen to either all that much anymore. Vai is crazy talented, and in some ways with his creativeness a "second coming of Jimi" type guy who just broke new ground with the guitar. But I've always thought his sense of melody was a bit out there and over time, I've come to believe something I never thought possible... that guitar music with no vocals gets a little tiring after a while. So now we're covering Joe as well. And Yngwie and whomever... I realize these guys all have music with vocals, and IMO, that is where they shine. The incredible skills are BETTER in small doses. Yes, Satch and Vai and Yngwie all blow me away, and always did. But I now rarely listen to a guitar album where they are just trying to carry the music all by themselves. It's great, but in small doses.

Love this thread!

Big time. Very insightful so far. I don't even have time now to give my answer about my musical path. (Try to hold your applause please :))

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Satch and Vai and Yngwie all blow me away, and always did. But I now rarely listen to a guitar album where they are just trying to carry the music all by themselves. It's great, but in small doses.
But there is a completely different style of guitar play that is expected to carry it on their own and can be listened to for an album. Liona Boyd, Tony McManus...

The way I see it, it's all a matter of perspective.

As musicians and guitarists we tend to look at the technical side of it all, but you have to keep in mind that although there are a ton of players, there are millions more non musicians that couldn't give a rat's azz about how well someone executed that arpeggio or speed picking run. Hence the multitude of fretboard wizards that go unnoticed to the main public in the post lead guitar era. The average person doesn't really care that much about that.

Take me for example, I'm getting ready to drop 3 fusion tunes, some of the most technical stuff out there but TBH I'm no disciplined or trained fret burner. I've never taken lessons, play mostly by ear, can't do Holdsworthian type runs, but I know enough about Jazz and can draw upon some old Rock chops to get my art and message across.

As for perspective, when I hear some of these cats doing things on these vids that I can't, I appreciate it, I'm admittedly intimidated by it, but I rarely shun or avoid it. I just keep in mind the inspiration and knowledge I gain from exposing myself to other artists.

There will always be another musician who can play things I can’t, and that’s fine. After some serious life events and 4 hand surgeries, I’ve come to the conclusion that this wood and wire contraption makes me happy every time I pick it up. And, as an added bonus, I can make other people happy when I play. No matter my/our skill level, we can give something positive to ourselves and others every single time we play, if we want to. How many other things can we say that about? Every practice or gig is a chance to learn something we don’t know If we just listen to the music and ourselves. I don’t get nervous, but I get excited as all get out, especially when I get to make music with my friends. It’s a rush, and it’s legal, and it won’t kill me. And after 50+ years, it’s sure as hell habit forming.

Back