Not exactly NGD and a question (or several)

Vertigo

I don't think I ever posted images back in September when I picked up my new-to-me '92 Cu24 so...

IMG_9321 by Sean Chaney, on Flickr

There was an issue with one of the pickups, which I fixed but other than that, it's the best feeling guitar I've ever owned. Better than the Whale Blue Cu24 I owned 20 years ago, and without the dead spot at the 12th fret on the G. There hasn't been a single day since I bought this that I haven't picked it up and for that reason alone, my playing has improved dramatically.

I'm learning that I really don't like the 5-way rotary switch and I'm thinking about replacing it with a 3-way toggle. I see that PRS sells one for $42 and I see that I can buy what seems to be an identical Switchcraft for $18. Does the extra $24 get me something special? I'm not against spending money when there's some value in it.

Has anyone gone from the rotary to the 3-way and regretted it? I really only use three of the five sounds out of it; the neck, bridge and second position (first click from the bridge)

Make sure that the 3-way can get you whatever your third position is. If it's not just neck and bridge in parallel, you will have to figure out how to tap a coil or whatever that position does.

Buy the Switchcraft. Same part to my knowledge, and widely considered the best quality.

Note that you will need to widen the hole a bit, as the toggle is bigger than the rotary.

I think we are all saying the same thing without actually saying it. If you want the in-between sounds you will also need to get a push/pull tone pot. If you won't want them you can just use the 3 way and tape off the spilt wires. If you want them then I agree with Rider. Just buy the harness and you get it all ready made.

Bangin'!

I'm wth you on the rotary selections.. If there's a schematic where you wouldn't need a push-pull/push-push switch, I'd love to see it.

Didn't I read somewhere that the first CE's with the chrome toggle had a split middle position?

You can buy a wire kit that has push pulls on both volume and tone. I have this set up on my ce24 and I like it. 408 style switching.

Get the McCarty wiring kit from PRS. You will get a pre wired drop in with the three way and a push pull on the tone control. Installation is easy, you just have to hollow out the hole a bit where the current rotary is, It also comes with some nice orange drop capacitors.

...Didn't I read somewhere that the first CE's with the chrome toggle had a split middle position?
Yes, I have my 88 CE wired as original. You need to have the original switch. Here are the details: part number - ALCO MTG 226PA switch

Here is a diagram of the switch that shows how it connects them in series.
DPDT_switches_zps8a0d7d2e.jpg

There's a schematic floating around here somewhere.

I'm thinking about using the Dimarzio EP1111 4PDT switch now to see if I can make the split sound that I like the middle position. Perhaps both will be ordered and we'll see how it goes.

It's funny; 20 years without an electric guitar and I just can't get enough of them now. I just ordered a Suhr Classic Pro, but I'm sure I won't like my PRS any less. I bought enough wood a few months back to make a few archtops too...which is a deep rabbit hole. It'll be fun to design and fab fixtures for this and that. Mostly, I hope not to make a vaguely guitar shaped hunk of firewood.

I'm thinking about using the Dimarzio EP1111 4PDT switch now to see if I can make the split sound that I like the middle position. Perhaps both will be ordered and we'll see how it goes.

It's funny; 20 years without an electric guitar and I just can't get enough of them now. I just ordered a Suhr Classic Pro, but I'm sure I won't like my PRS any less. I bought enough wood a few months back to make a few archtops too...which is a deep rabbit hole. It'll be fun to design and fab fixtures for this and that. Mostly, I hope not to make a vaguely guitar shaped hunk of firewood.

The Dimarzio is the ticket if you only want bridge, neck, and split middle. The old Petrucci signature models were wired that way, with middle being inside coils (the more Stratty combo). It's easy enough to do it that way or outside coils for the more Tele-esque combo.

Yes, I have my 88 CE wired as original. You need to have the original switch. Here are the details: part number - ALCO MTG 226PA switch

Here is a diagram of the switch that shows how it connects them in series.
DPDT_switches_zps8a0d7d2e.jpg

There's a schematic floating around here somewhere.

Thanks, buddy!

I've said before that I'm "rotary 4 life" which still holds true..however, there are a couple of my guitars (i.e.: Singlecut) that I'm kinda stuck with the toggle.
I admit, it was a simple yet different transition at the time, so used to toggles, but the concept was simple enough.
1-Jazz, blues, & early Deep Purple;)
2-R&B
3-R&B, Rock rhythm
4-Chicken pickin'
5-Shred-o-matic

Because it was my 1st PRS, I soaked into it mentally right away, sold it, now the toggle (HB) & blade (408) are what I have and I admit they are more instinct driven, don't have to think just switch.

Back