Not a new guitar, but I still love it

veinbuster

Zombie Three, DFZ
Back in 2009 at PRS Experience they introduced some really nice 25th anniversary guitars in awesome white cases. I didn't leave empty handed, but I didn't take one of those white cases home. A bit of time passed and I decided I should get a scarlet SAS, you know, so there would be something in the case. So I went to visit Brian Meader (then at Washington Music).

I did play a couple of SAS and we talked a bit about what I didn't have. I ended up playing quite a few guitars. Some were nice, but I closed up the case. A couple were really nice and I left the case open, to revisit when I got tired of trying new stuff. I could have happily left with an African Queen, a Paul's 28 and this one, but I decided it was a one guitar day. It was, and is, amazing. Certainly a candidate for the best small run PRS has done.

The body is typical of what Paul picks for himself. Not a perfect flame, but interesting. Chosen to be played. A lot.
CK_151Dirty100Body.JPG

The neck and finger board changed my ideas about what a guitar neck should be. Peruvian Mahogany with Dalbergia board. It sounds awesome - enough that I got a spare. And the dirty moons are cool.
CK_152Dirty100Board.JPG

More nice wood details. And who doesn't like a gold inlay signature
CK_154Dirty100Headstock.JPG

The best thing about the guitar is playing it. Its a late night blues monster. While playing at it, the horns look like a worn, leather jacket. I've never quite been able to capture what it looks like in my hands on camera.
CK_156Dirty100LowerHorn.JPG

CK_160Dirty100UpperHorn.JPG

Call it burnt gold or black gold, but along with the Paul’s 28 and Violin I guitars, this is the most vintage and Paul-centric look amongst all PRS guitars.

Nice writeup. All great guitars deserve a post like this.

New or old Guitar-is that so important? I think the most important thing is, that You enjoy that one, (still)feeling instantly that she is the right one for You. And I believe that every a bit experienced Guitar Player has often a prompt "feeling" that a Guitar feels and plays right for himself. So You did the right thing. Cool Guitar here.

Veiny, that guitar is gorgeous. I love it.

Agree about Peruvian mahogany; I’ve got two with it, and had one previously. It rings like a bell, and I think it adds to the tone of a guitar.

To my way of thinking, that’s the ideal type of top - as pretty as “perfect” pinstripe wood can be, I prefer something like that with some character.

Back