Northern lights fading

I wonder if adding your own UV protective finish would make a difference and prevent fading significantly. Assuming you buy the guitar for your own personal enjoyment and don't care about potential loss in resale value. Personally I'd love a NL.

Anyone know if the Aquableux Purple Burst has the same problems. I am actually looking for something special for my 50th which comes up in 3 years and had to strike off the NL for the reasons stated previously. One of my favourite guitars is a SE Zach Myers, quite fancy one of these as an upgrade :)

259435ZC.jpg

It does and the pic you posted is already faded considerably (that happened in the span of about a year as this WL batch was from fall 2018), see a few examples in https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/northern-lights-video.40317/page-2

They also have an Indigo PS that isn't quite as blue anymore:
249583AZ.jpg

wucm7wufmfvibaepmqmq.jpg

Note I have a NL (used to have a PS, now it's a Wood Library posted in a recent NGD thread) and keep it in the case for this reason.
At the very least I think PRS could put a note indicating the perils of leaving a guitar exposed to daylight for and extended amount of time.

At the end of the day, if something deteriorates quickly it is basically defective.

Nonsense. The guitar doesn’t deteriorate at all as a musical instrument, and the finish is fine if you case it. Keeping a guitar at arm’s reach in a case is a pretty simple thing, and it takes less than ten seconds to open a case and remove the guitar.

I just don’t buy into this, I think it’s a load of crap and an excuse for players to be very, very lazy.

This is a topic about fading. A very real problem with this particular colour. One that I would personally love to own but won't for this reason. It's a real shame and very disappointing. Not going to say any more.

Good, don’t say any more. It’s a load of stink. I’ve lost patience with people who are too lazy to put their guitars away, and who are basically haters who will complain about every little thing.

Don’t want the color? Don’t freaking buy it.

Lazy, sissy, amateurs!

THEY DO. Read the FREAKING WARRANTY.

Who reads it anyways ? :p

And actually, they DON'T:
THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER:
  • Normal "wear and tear", including but not limited to any discoloration, fading or damage to the original finish, or worn frets, strings, tuners, hardware and plating.

Who reads it anyways ? :p

And actually, they DON'T:
THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER:
  • Normal "wear and tear", including but not limited to any discoloration, fading or damage to the original finish, or worn frets, strings, tuners, hardware and plating.

I guess you didn’t interpret “fading” the same way I do.

No problem.

I do, but to say "warranty doesn't cover discoloration/fading" is hardly a warning that their guitar will fade in a record time (all the above examples were in less than a year inside a store, so in indirect sunlight).

That said, NL is an awesome looking color well worth storing the guitar in a case (which is a great idea to begin with).

I do, but to say "warranty doesn't cover discoloration/fading" is hardly a warning that their guitar will fade in a record time (all the above examples were in less than a year inside a store, so in indirect sunlight).

OK, let’s examine this: finishes that are light sensitive react to photons. It doesn’t matter if the lighting is direct sunlight, or light bulbs. Both produce photons But no doubt you know this, and I’m probably preaching to the choir.

We’re arguing about nothing. “Warranty doesn’t cover discoloration/fading” is pretty explicit and satisfies me; if it doesn’t satisfy both of us to the same degree, I suppose we can split hairs.

We completely agree that the guitar is better off cased. Most guitars are, for many reasons!

No doubt you’ve read the many thoughtful articles Bob Taylor has written about the need for guitars to be cased.

I suspect you’re a very sophisticated person who knows what’s what, and I won’t belabor the point. It’d be nice if guitars didn’t fade, but the laws of physics as they apply to certain organic pigments says they will, so what can a person do? I accept it as a possibility and try to do the best I can.

For me, that’s enough. For some who will only accept products with warning stickers, like the ones on car sun visors that drive me absolutely insane, perhaps it isn’t.

Why bother?

It comes with a case or gig bag. If you don’t want it to fade, just use it. Simple. Boom, zoom, done!

I’ve been reading this thread on and off swearing that I won’t get sucked in but I just can’t take it anymore! Keep your guitars in the F’n case when they’re not being used!! Keep them out of direct sunlight for long periods of time, simple. Yes they are beautiful to look at but the problem is most people hang them up and they don’t look at them when you’re at work or away for the day and they stay exposed to all kinds of light. Certain colors fade that’s it. Look at this picture I’ve had this guitar since 1991 it is a 1990 custom 24 has not faded has plenty of dings scratches and chips from honest wear but the color is still perfect....why???? I keep it in the F’n case when I don’t use it!

SMhJBzN.jpg

IXXSZNL.jpg

Back in those days plenty of whale blue PRS’s would fade when people left them in the light for extended periods of time. I think that’s how they came up with the faded blue Jean color. Mine is going to be 30 years old she still looks pretty good.

Good lord so much vitriol over a stupid guitar fading.
It is a shocker to many I'm sure that they do fade and fade that much. Many people are not PRS sycophants so maybe they don't know? WOW! go figure that.
They see a guitar that looks beautiful and plays beautiful. They buy it with confidence. It's one of the best guitars made! And then they become disappointed that one of THE BEST MADE has changed and radically so.
So ya if you can't understand that simple point the rest of us can :)
FYI I have a whale blue McCarty that's over 20 years old and isn't kept in its case and its not faded at all that I can tell. I don't take any special precautions either.

OK, let’s examine this: finishes that are light sensitive react to photons. It doesn’t matter if the lighting is direct sunlight, or light bulbs. Both produce photons But no doubt you know this, and I’m probably preaching to the choir.

We’re arguing about nothing. “Warranty doesn’t cover discoloration/fading” is pretty explicit and satisfies me; if it doesn’t satisfy both of us to the same degree, I suppose we can split hairs.

We completely agree that the guitar is better off cased. Most guitars are, for many reasons!

No doubt you’ve read the many thoughtful articles Bob Taylor has written about the need for guitars to be cased.

I suspect you’re a very sophisticated person who knows what’s what, and I won’t belabor the point. It’d be nice if guitars didn’t fade, but the laws of physics as they apply to certain organic pigments says they will, so what can a person do? I accept it as a possibility and try to do the best I can.

For me, that’s enough. For some who will only accept products with warning stickers, like the ones on car sun visors that drive me absolutely insane, perhaps it isn’t.

I was a bit bored, as anyone posting on a forum in the afternoon may be.

No matter how you read it, the statement doesn't inform you of how rapid/massive the fading can be.
That knowledge comes from being familiar with the pigments used and/or having seen too many pictures of discolored (PRS) guitars.
I don't consider that a defect per say, there's a cost to pay (PS admission price aside) for enjoying those unique/vibrant colors.

I'm sorry though for suggesting putting yet another rosewood, Prop65, etc... sticker/notice in the case, there are plenty enough of those already.
On the 'plus' side the current top Google result for "PRS Northern Lights" is a 2018 PRS forum thread about fading.

Conclusion: please just keep your guitars in a case but be sure your case isn't overly humid otherwise you'll then have to deal with finish clouding (other topic).

When I purchased my PS off Reverb a couple years back, I thought I bought a blue guitar... here is a pic from the ad
a7anYGv.jpg

So when I got it, this is what it actually looked like -
ea85jBi.jpg

And finally, after much consideration (the action is amazing, its an incredible guitar but... I don't like green), this is how it is now after spending time with the PTC (technically PS guitars go back to the PS team even for refinishing...)
nU490Mh.jpg

It hangs in my music room now in a protective case behind UV resistant glass and out of the way of any sunlight at all...

I PROMISE you, my EXACT situation. Same Private Stock color on day of arrival, and now green as of march 2021 and not 4 years old, P Stock. Incredible. Zero offense but liked our old original blue better than your new paint job, hope not offended, still beautiful. Just a shame with the change. So are you saying this one will fade as well, so back in case or darkness to avoid? any other paint/finish suggestions from them to make color last. Mine looks AWFUL. Have had 30 guitars, never seen this before. It looks like a muddy green. Thoughts/help appreciated.

It's been sort of discussed to death in this 7-pages long thread.
You can contact PRS' customer service to have it refinished, if they resumed offering that service (I assume you'd want a PS refinished by PRS rather than a 3rd party ?).
They'll also be able to answer your questions about which colors would be less prone to fading (the options will be limited to which ones are compatible with your original finish though), but ultimately expect fading if you leave the guitar outside the case.

It's been sort of discussed to death in this 7-pages long thread.
You can contact PRS' customer service to have it refinished, if they resumed offering that service (I assume you'd want a PS refinished by PRS rather than a 3rd party ?).
They'll also be able to answer your questions about which colors would be less prone to fading (the options will be limited to which ones are compatible with your original finish though), but ultimately expect fading if you leave the guitar outside the case.

I just flipped out when I saw yours. You can see mine here with my dog. Stunning, now looks like green polluted water in just over 3 years. I did contact, they were kind enough to offer to re-stain back to same condition, but I'll have to case the guitar. I have a 15 year old CU24 Whale blue 10 top, never been in the case, pristine, like the day I got it. I don't understand. They will repaint a different color but this is a $10k P Stock so don't want a boring core color. Any suggestions as to what to ask for? When I talk to them, they are not offering many suggestions? Is this new Nitro over cellulose supposed to protect more? Any suggestions appreciated as this is a huge deal/decision for me. Went from my dream guitar to oh sh.... and I don't want that again. Help appreciated. Thank you.

It wasn't my guitar.

"they were kind enough to offer to re-stain back to same condition"
Consider yourself extremely lucky they even offered to re-stain it for free. A refinish is close to 20% the price of a new PS, last I checked.

"but I'll have to case the guitar"
And, how is that a problem ? Those dyes can fade badly with prolonged light exposure, Gibson's do too by the way.

"They will repaint a different color but this is a $10k P Stock so don't want a boring core color... When I talk to them, they are not offering many suggestions"
Are you saying they can't refinish in the original color (doubtful), or you actually want a different color ?
If the latter you are limited in choice, they can't pick a color for you but you can ask which colors would be compatible.
When they sand the base coat down to the wood there the base layer stain will still be there (you can't remove it completely as they do a very heavy staining typically); e.g you can refinish a blue guitar in yellow because the few spots of blue that will be left after sanding would turn green once the yellow dye is applied.

"Is this new Nitro over cellulose supposed to protect more"
First, they have two types of clear coat, neither protects better from fading. In fact that nitro finish is basically what's on the vast majority of PS.
Their modern nitro has a clearer look, the poly-type finish is more resistant to wear but doesn't have near as much clarity (not bad at all though) but much harder to spot repair.

It wasn't my guitar.

"they were kind enough to offer to re-stain back to same condition"
Consider yourself extremely lucky they even offered to re-stain it for free. A refinish is close to 20% the price of a new PS, last I checked.

"but I'll have to case the guitar"
And, how is that a problem ? Those dyes can fade badly with prolonged light exposure, Gibson's do too by the way.

"They will repaint a different color but this is a $10k P Stock so don't want a boring core color... When I talk to them, they are not offering many suggestions"
Are you saying they can't refinish in the original color (doubtful), or you actually want a different color ?
If the latter you are limited in choice, they can't pick a color for you but you can ask which colors would be compatible.
When they sand the base coat down to the wood there the base layer stain will still be there (you can't remove it completely as they do a very heavy staining typically); e.g you can refinish a blue guitar in yellow because the few spots of blue that will be left after sanding would turn green once the yellow dye is applied.

"Is this new Nitro over cellulose supposed to protect more"
First, they have two types of clear coat, neither protects better from fading. In fact that nitro finish is basically what's on the vast majority of PS.
Their modern nitro has a clearer look, the poly-type finish is more resistant to wear but doesn't have near as much clarity (not bad at all though) but much harder to spot repair.

Thanks for your help. Regarding keeping guitar in case, I've just never in my 25 years of playing and 30 guitars later done that. All my guitars are out and look great except now the most expensive guitar I never dreamed of owning. I like looking at it, showing it off, but more importantly grabbing in and playing it. However, now that I know, I'll have to case it. I have 2 string swings, 5 guitars each hangin and a floor rack, all guitars perfect. I've got a killer HSS Suhr blue guitar that is my top 3 go to, all perfect. However as you say, at the end of the day, it's not gonna destroy me to case and pull out to play. To keep it in that original stunning finish when it arrived will be worth it. I just wish I had known. No mention by anyone but oh well. Don't like many of the other colors and don't want to pay for a core color so this will be fine. Anyway, thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it.

From the PRS site Behind the Scenes: Creating New Colors published on March 1st.
We also have two UV booths which we use to replicate large amounts of direct sunlight on the guitars. We run the booth at high power to see how it holds up, it essentially replicates 5 years of direct sunlight. We’re able to see if the color will fade over time. When we’re developing the color, we also need to make sure it’s production friendly, meaning the color will be consistent, repeatable, and won’t take too long to create.”

Sounds like they’re well aware of certain pigment issues and try to mitigate these issues from entering their product lines, but for PS colors where the sky’s the limit, perhaps extra care and considerations are expected. I’m guilty of hanging mine on a wall so I can see them all day. I wanna enjoy em as much as I can, who knows what’ll happen tomorrow.

"We run the booth at high power to see how it holds up, it essentially replicates 5 years of direct sunlight. We’re able to see if the color will fade over time."

You seem to be jumping to conclusions. All this is saying is that they check how it holds up; not that it holds up, and not that they try to mitigate it.

Back