Northern lights fading

I truly feel sorry for the first few people who experienced the NL fading. To me, it’s the most beautiful finish PRS provides. It must have been heart-breaking and anger producing. I hope PRS made things right for those first few people.

But...

Before someone drops the sort of coin required to buy an instrument that has a Northern Lights finish, I think it’s incumbent upon them to do some due diligence. By now, a quick search on “PRS” “Northern Lights” should make the problems pretty evident. (Thanks to this forum, it does.)

There’s always a price to be paid by a buyer who fails to do their homework.

One of my favorite finishes, might have to reconsider....

I generally prefer light or dark amber finishes, like the Faded McCarty Burst on my McCarty Singlecut, and Black Gold. The NL finish was a way-out-of-character choice for me, but I’m glad I have it!

When I bought it, I made a conscious decision that I’d accept that the blue and violet dyes are prone to fading, but so far that hasn’t happened. I’ve had it for nearly four years.

I generally prefer light or dark amber finishes, like the Faded McCarty Burst on my McCarty Singlecut, and Black Gold. The NL finish was a way-out-of-character choice for me, but I’m glad I have it!

When I bought it, I made a conscious decision that I’d accept that the blue and violet dyes are prone to fading, but so far that hasn’t happened. I’ve had it for nearly four years.

I wonder if adding your own UV protective finish would make a difference and prevent fading significantly. Assuming you buy the guitar for your own personal enjoyment and don't care about potential loss in resale value. Personally I'd love a NL.

Anyone know if the Aquableux Purple Burst has the same problems. I am actually looking for something special for my 50th which comes up in 3 years and had to strike off the NL for the reasons stated previously. One of my favourite guitars is a SE Zach Myers, quite fancy one of these as an upgrade :)

259435ZC.jpg

I wonder if adding your own UV protective finish would make a difference and prevent fading significantly. Assuming you buy the guitar for your own personal enjoyment and don't care about potential loss in resale value. Personally I'd love a NL.

Anyone know if the Aquableux Purple Burst has the same problems. I am actually looking for something special for my 50th which comes up in 3 years and had to strike off the NL for the reasons stated previously. One of my favourite guitars is a SE Zach Myers, quite fancy one of these as an upgrade :)

259435ZC.jpg
For my money, the case it comes in is the best protective finish money can buy.
Might not be for everyone, but I get a bit of a thrill every time I open a case and look at the goodness inside - even with guitars I’ve owned for 20 years.

When I purchased my PS off Reverb a couple years back, I thought I bought a blue guitar... here is a pic from the ad
a7anYGv.jpg

So when I got it, this is what it actually looked like -
ea85jBi.jpg

And finally, after much consideration (the action is amazing, its an incredible guitar but... I don't like green), this is how it is now after spending time with the PTC (technically PS guitars go back to the PS team even for refinishing...)
nU490Mh.jpg

It hangs in my music room now in a protective case behind UV resistant glass and out of the way of any sunlight at all...

Why bother?

It comes with a case or gig bag. If you don’t want it to fade, just use it. Simple. Boom, zoom, done!

Maybe some people only have a couple of guitars and want to keep them within easy reach where they are actually going to play them without having to dig them out of some closet, find space for the case to be opened, find a strap and then put it all back afterwards. Some people just want their favourite guitar at arms reach so they can grab and go when the inspiration hits them, or when they have a few moments to take a break and have some fun.

At the end of the day, if something deteriorates quickly it is basically defective.

I keep a rotating stash of guitars in easy reach on a drs rack or wall hanger.
My purple custom hadn’t faded..I sometimes wish it would lol

it’s a tool. Enjoy it.
Ed Kings burst wouldn’t be known as ‘red rye’ if not for the red dies fading

When you pay more than double for what is essentially a cosmetic upgrade, the whole purpose being that it looks great. And the primary reason someone is most likely to buy it is to enjoy it and put it on display. If that cosmetic upgrade practically disappears within 5 years then most people would consider that a defect. Online a NL McCarty 594 costs $11,000 - $13,000 and is functionally identical to a standard $3800 one which would be the equivalent of a tool. When you pay a 300% premium specifically for how it looks you expect to be able to enjoy it and that it will last.

I expect most of you have seen this 2014 private stock Northern Lights guitar. I love PRS guitars, but this is actually pretty shocking. Almost no trace of the stain after only 5 years.

Last edited:
As I’ve said
If you’re going to worry about fading, pick a different color.

Or store it in the case as Les as suggested

As I’ve said
If you’re going to worry about fading, pick a different color.

Or store it in the case as Les as suggested

This is a topic about fading. A very real problem with this particular colour. One that I would personally love to own but won't for this reason. It's a real shame and very disappointing. Not going to say any more.

This is a topic about fading. A very real problem with this particular colour. One that I would personally love to own but won't for this reason. It's a real shame and very disappointing. Not going to say any more.

it is? Thanks I had no idea.

Yes I just happen to disagree with how much emotional baggage seems to be presenting itself here.

When I purchased my PS off Reverb a couple years back, I thought I bought a blue guitar... here is a pic from the ad
a7anYGv.jpg

So when I got it, this is what it actually looked like -
ea85jBi.jpg

And finally, after much consideration (the action is amazing, its an incredible guitar but... I don't like green), this is how it is now after spending time with the PTC (technically PS guitars go back to the PS team even for refinishing...)
nU490Mh.jpg

It hangs in my music room now in a protective case behind UV resistant glass and out of the way of any sunlight at all...
Holy Trampas Green Batman!

Back