Northern lights fading

"We run the booth at high power to see how it holds up, it essentially replicates 5 years of direct sunlight. We’re able to see if the color will fade over time."

You seem to be jumping to conclusions. All this is saying is that they check how it holds up; not that it holds up, and not that they try to mitigate it.

touché

is that your dweezil? why didn’t you case it !!!?
It’s a whole story, basically it’s how I got it, but if the burst is the result of a fade then it’s a happy accident and a big improvement. My guitars don’t get hit with sunlight where they are.

For my money, the case it comes in is the best protective finish money can buy.
Might not be for everyone, but I get a bit of a thrill every time I open a case and look at the goodness inside - even with guitars I’ve owned for 20 years.

As I was reading all this stuff I realized that everything I was gonna say had already been said by Les.
He baked the entire cake for me start to finish and then Peter put the icing on it for me with his post!

Thanks guys.

:)

So, does anyone have an idea which blues fade quicker than others? Mailed prs a while back and didnt get a clear response.

I’m also not sure for certain if prs has minimized this in more recently built guitars… anyone?

So, does anyone have an idea which blues fade quicker than others? Mailed prs a while back and didnt get a clear response.

I’m also not sure for certain if prs has minimized this in more recently built guitars… anyone?
The blue dyes they used were prone to fading. That doesn’t really change when other colour is blended it and a different name is assigned.

Keep them out of direct sunlight and you’ll be ok. I have heard reports of them fading over many years even if stored in a case though.

I’ve has this one for 7 years and no fading. Used to be hung on the wall with blackout shade and LED lights in my prior home. Been cased in my current home for different reasons, No fading.

77193-B05-DBEC-4433-9601-C4-FA71-E47133.jpg

7-E47-AEBE-C487-4661-89-B5-2-A5-EECA40599.jpg

This is Aquamarine. I’ve seen many faded ones on older models. I expect this may start to fade down the road no matter how careful I am with it. This is a 2013 with the PS HG Nitro finish. Still as vibrant as the day I got it. YMMV :)

OK, let’s examine this: finishes that are light sensitive react to photons. It doesn’t matter if the lighting is direct sunlight, or light bulbs. Both produce photons But no doubt you know this, and I’m probably preaching to the choir.

We’re arguing about nothing. “Warranty doesn’t cover discoloration/fading” is pretty explicit and satisfies me; if it doesn’t satisfy both of us to the same degree, I suppose we can split hairs.

We completely agree that the guitar is better off cased. Most guitars are, for many reasons!

No doubt you’ve read the many thoughtful articles Bob Taylor has written about the need for guitars to be cased.

I suspect you’re a very sophisticated person who knows what’s what, and I won’t belabor the point. It’d be nice if guitars didn’t fade, but the laws of physics as they apply to certain organic pigments says they will, so what can a person do? I accept it as a possibility and try to do the best I can.

For me, that’s enough. For some who will only accept products with warning stickers, like the ones on car sun visors that drive me absolutely insane, perhaps it isn’t.
You are a very patient person….. thanks

Last year, I ordered a Private Stock with a "Northern Lights Blue" finish but I was recently told that they had cancelled and would no longer do that color as it fades. So, back to square one for me.

Ah thanks for the confirmation. I had seen an IG post from Brian's Guitar recently saying it was no longer possible to order it.
I'm surprised they cancelled on you after that long, hopefully you still get to do your build at 2019 pricing...
Aqua Violet is a reasonably similar color if you're cool with a mix of indigo/violet instead of teal/violet.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm an old guy and had my heart set on what I wanted. It was going to be the last guitar I buy. I was very disappointed but I really blame the dealer who didn't much seem to care that his customer was spending over 10k. Zero communication until the very end. If I wanted status, I had to chase him. This was after buying one of those 2020 Modern Eagles which I love but doesn't have the piezo. He must have known for months but didn't say boo. PRS wound up finishing it in a purply color that I wasn't crazy about. It ended up selling at another dealer and ti didn't last long there and it was at a higher price than I was quoted. So, I'm going to chalk it up. Private Stock 9142. It's on Reverb. I did get my deposit back after having ordered the thing in July of last year. It was supposed to be a McCarty HB2 with a piezo in Northern Lights blue.

OK I'm pretty sure I know which one you are referring to; I went to the dealer that purchased it from yours yesterday and missed it by couple hours (it had sold the day before and had just been packed).
That was indeed Aqua Violet, instead of Northern Lights.

Usually most dealers don't get much ETA updates from PRS' Core and PS production, and even if they do they are often unreliable.
I've done 4 builds so far (1 on-going) with 2 dealers and don't get any update along the way unless it's time to pick the woods (and that's if you make it crystal clear to your dealer you want to pick those, otherwise the PS team can select them w/o involving you) or when the guitar arrives at the dealer.

Back