Northern lights fading

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by matt3310, Nov 9, 2018.

1. docteurseb

docteurseb New Member

It does and the pic you posted is already faded considerably (that happened in the span of about a year as this WL batch was from fall 2018), see a few examples in https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/northern-lights-video.40317/page-2

They also have an Indigo PS that isn't quite as blue anymore:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note I have a NL (used to have a PS, now it's a Wood Library posted in a recent NGD thread) and keep it in the case for this reason.
    At the very least I think PRS could put a note indicating the perils of leaving a guitar exposed to daylight for and extended amount of time.

grausch and Antmax like this.
  2. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Nonsense. The guitar doesn’t deteriorate at all as a musical instrument, and the finish is fine if you case it. Keeping a guitar at arm’s reach in a case is a pretty simple thing, and it takes less than ten seconds to open a case and remove the guitar.

I just don’t buy into this, I think it’s a load of crap and an excuse for players to be very, very lazy.

3. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Good, don’t say any more. It’s a load of stink. I’ve lost patience with people who are too lazy to put their guitars away, and who are basically haters who will complain about every little thing.

Don’t want the color? Don’t freaking buy it.

Lazy, sissy, amateurs!

4. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

THEY DO. Read the FREAKING WARRANTY.

g.wizz likes this.
  5. docteurseb

docteurseb New Member

Who reads it anyways ? :p

And actually, they DON'T:
    THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER:
    • Normal "wear and tear", including but not limited to any discoloration, fading or damage to the original finish, or worn frets, strings, tuners, hardware and plating.

6. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I guess you didn’t interpret “fading” the same way I do.

No problem.

7. docteurseb

docteurseb New Member

I do, but to say "warranty doesn't cover discoloration/fading" is hardly a warning that their guitar will fade in a record time (all the above examples were in less than a year inside a store, so in indirect sunlight).

Antmax likes this.
  8. docteurseb

docteurseb New Member

That said, NL is an awesome looking color well worth storing the guitar in a case (which is a great idea to begin with).

9. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

OK, let’s examine this: finishes that are light sensitive react to photons. It doesn’t matter if the lighting is direct sunlight, or light bulbs. Both produce photons But no doubt you know this, and I’m probably preaching to the choir.

We’re arguing about nothing. “Warranty doesn’t cover discoloration/fading” is pretty explicit and satisfies me; if it doesn’t satisfy both of us to the same degree, I suppose we can split hairs.

We completely agree that the guitar is better off cased. Most guitars are, for many reasons!

No doubt you’ve read the many thoughtful articles Bob Taylor has written about the need for guitars to be cased.

I suspect you’re a very sophisticated person who knows what’s what, and I won’t belabor the point. It’d be nice if guitars didn’t fade, but the laws of physics as they apply to certain organic pigments says they will, so what can a person do? I accept it as a possibility and try to do the best I can.

For me, that’s enough. For some who will only accept products with warning stickers, like the ones on car sun visors that drive me absolutely insane, perhaps it isn’t.

bodia likes this.
  10. Andrew Paul

Andrew Paul The cat's meow

I’ve been reading this thread on and off swearing that I won’t get sucked in but I just can’t take it anymore! Keep your guitars in the F’n case when they’re not being used!! Keep them out of direct sunlight for long periods of time, simple. Yes they are beautiful to look at but the problem is most people hang them up and they don’t look at them when you’re at work or away for the day and they stay exposed to all kinds of light. Certain colors fade that’s it. Look at this picture I’ve had this guitar since 1991 it is a 1990 custom 24 has not faded has plenty of dings scratches and chips from honest wear but the color is still perfect....why???? I keep it in the F’n case when I don’t use it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Back in those days plenty of whale blue PRS’s would fade when people left them in the light for extended periods of time. I think that’s how they came up with the faded blue Jean color. Mine is going to be 30 years old she still looks pretty good.

Mozzi, bodia, g.wizz and 2 others like this.
  11. Bob Hundemer

Bob Hundemer New Member

Good lord so much vitriol over a stupid guitar fading.
    It is a shocker to many I'm sure that they do fade and fade that much. Many people are not PRS sycophants so maybe they don't know? WOW! go figure that.
    They see a guitar that looks beautiful and plays beautiful. They buy it with confidence. It's one of the best guitars made! And then they become disappointed that one of THE BEST MADE has changed and radically so.
    So ya if you can't understand that simple point the rest of us can :)
    FYI I have a whale blue McCarty that's over 20 years old and isn't kept in its case and its not faded at all that I can tell. I don't take any special precautions either.

Antmax likes this.
  12. Big Mike

Big Mike This space for rent

Yep
    02 purple custom
    That mostly lives on a hanger

It’s a tool. I use it as such

bodia, g.wizz and Alnus Rubra like this.
  13. docteurseb

docteurseb New Member

I was a bit bored, as anyone posting on a forum in the afternoon may be.

No matter how you read it, the statement doesn't inform you of how rapid/massive the fading can be.
    That knowledge comes from being familiar with the pigments used and/or having seen too many pictures of discolored (PRS) guitars.
    I don't consider that a defect per say, there's a cost to pay (PS admission price aside) for enjoying those unique/vibrant colors.

I'm sorry though for suggesting putting yet another rosewood, Prop65, etc... sticker/notice in the case, there are plenty enough of those already.
    On the 'plus' side the current top Google result for "PRS Northern Lights" is a 2018 PRS forum thread about fading.

Conclusion: please just keep your guitars in a case but be sure your case isn't overly humid otherwise you'll then have to deal with finish clouding (other topic).