Northern lights fading

Look what we had in our sky tonight!

6aE4omAHmqMDx8F1SkgF9__8PeOnPGZRdiRXB7P0ApysMd8P8Nx4SlWwnejiSqzs95aa08PhLcxn3pDmzyh7HUOO3QmTpuCnfQi6oRAr742gMWwfOc_nkdZn4O0tGxwAS_okzndwHafh1wp97VhtkaxyGu87ToUPkjLNhpcKOjSvBCeW7UHFtSkpqS8AZmhkJAKSJeaSFU1Ss-BXBBg38dQoeElZKPwLSxDMdkrzqhjfkd0k_NcZVz6AfZ2CE-hUDZp1DNgow7UGdR0GiCboNE-Syxm8kKl-czUW73QW7jzD6baNbhgcEcnF4eJkq6-pw1oXl-d8Pbb-bLzv6o5K_3eWegzKi0B-CpqnvVYOTs85DdIPVgU3BE-YjxzqgyLWUrAHgiv-T6VRNhPqI2QVhzW9US0qpVFUB6qTXb4Xto3k_64AS0DvxFTTxwWEoQBmHE4sIegDfkB3hTO1stTyNNmFo7oP34-6YdeDkNmermjobzJIvWKp8zENl-8ghlAsDgJvO-36dUsAF6B3_QyYXk_ytVxNPH9Iv5Z_w_W03kEYPf-U2y-12dVXY9OO-DAfp295Pg5nVpiiyjPAnTK5H-fRR6pTnHd_h8DP72Sj1_AHotycTvxsDlAv9QSlOm0c219WoMZgdBd-UqxmocPCjFV8bOkwnj44G8unV9eWpqb3gv7RGPwa3hOXAuKId4TsN4PBkFHcAqhvlgZK=w741-h732-no

Bringing it in-house for ya!

Never had the pleasure of seeing this in-person, but I'd sure like to. Something I've wanted to experience since I first read about it as a kid.

Wow, yeah, that sucks. Dang shame, and sorry to hear. I got a used cherryburst McCarty a while ago, and near as I can tell the finish hasn't faded. I wonder what the difference is? I've pulled off the volume and tone knobs just to clean the 14 years of collected gunk underneath, and there weren't any finish circles there. I'm sure the finish probably isn't the EXACT same shade it was brand new, but I haven't noticed anything, apart from natural relic wear and tear from the previous owner.

Blues and purples are notorious for fading. Kind of why most old purple PRS look cranberry.

Blues and purples are notorious for fading. Kind of why most old purple PRS look cranberry.
That just raises another few questions: 1. are ALL blue/purple finishes on all brands likely to fade, 2. what is it about blue and purple finishes that cause them to fade and 3. can anything be done to ameliorate this? I honestly have no idea how guitar finishes, whether poly or nitro, work. Or satin, for that matter.

That just raises another few questions: 1. are ALL blue/purple finishes on all brands likely to fade, 2. what is it about blue and purple finishes that cause them to fade and 3. can anything be done to ameliorate this? I honestly have no idea how guitar finishes, whether poly or nitro, work. Or satin, for that matter.
They will fade in sunlight.
Keep it in the case when it isn’t being played and the colour will be good for years.

Hey, you may find it interesting for the geekery, crimson guitars doing a demo of how to do a (their words) "prs style northern lights" stain. You can find it on youtube, interesting.

I think the fading may be as they use 2 different types of stains, water based and non water based, so one is more UV reactive that the other, that is if that's what prs do too.

Do you leave this thing out in direct sun all the time or something? This is crazy. I don't think I've ever heard of this happening. It definitely makes me think twice about getting a private stock.

On translucent finishes where you can see the grain, there’s a stain that carries the color, and a clear-coat on top. The pigments are made from organic dyes. Organic dyes are often photosensitive; they react to light. The organic dyes in blue and a few other colors are especially photosensitive.

So blue stains fade more rapidly if exposed to light for a certain time.

Solid colors are like car paints, and they’re mostly inorganic pigments. There are inorganic stains, but they don’t let the wood grain show through; they aren’t translucent.

If you like the look of a translucent finish that lets you see the wood figure, like the ones PRS offers, keep it cased when not being played if fading bothers you. The solid colors, being mostly inorganic pigments, won’t fade.

Since translucent inorganic stains haven’t yet been invented for most colors, good luck finding the PRS look from another company with similar finishes!

If you like the look of a translucent finish that lets you see the wood figure, like the ones PRS offers, keep it cased when not being played if fading bothers you.
Yay, I learned something new. Keep the cherryburst in the case to preserve the stain even longer, and let out my too-dark heritage cherry SG to brighten it up over time.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread... but is a northern lights finish pretty much guaranteed to fade like this?

Contemplating getting one, and if I do I will hang it on a wall (no direct sunlight). If it’s just gonna fade in a year or two I’ll pick another color.....

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread... but is a northern lights finish pretty much guaranteed to fade like this?

Contemplating getting one, and if I do I will hang it on a wall (no direct sunlight). If it’s just gonna fade in a year or two I’ll pick another color.....
Chances are... it's going to fade if you don't keep it in the case. It's a pity, because in my opinion, PRS guitars are to be admired for their visual beauty, as much as their sonic beauty. I stare at my guitars in their stands all the time. Makes me happy. :) I'd love a Northern Lights finish, but will never do it because of this.

Fading is all about photons and the photosensitivity of various organic pigments. For me, keeping a guitar cased is more about maintaining playability, pots and switches, as I’ll discuss below.

Indirect light can still fade a finish; it just takes longer. Remember, if you can see the wall, it’s getting plenty of photons, or you wouldn’t be able to see it. Even light bulbs can eventually affect a finish.

I have a Northern Lights PS. It stays in its case until I’m going to play it. There is no fading whatsoever; it’s as vibrant as the day it arrived nearly 4 years ago, but I keep my guitars cased for other reasons: the case buffers temperature and humidity changes that occur at different times of day, on different days, etc., so my guitars don’t need seasonal setup adjustments. So it just makes life easier for me to case them.

If you’re curious about what happens in a typical room re: humidity and temp changes in a single day or week, get a cheap digital hygrometer and take note of the readings for a while. You might be surprised.

Also, in a home, things like evaporated cooking oils and other airborne gunk are spread around as the air circulates. This is why pots eventually get scratchy, why dust that lands on the instruments turns to gunk and goo, etc.

So they just stay nicer to play if they’re kept in cases. If you prioritize having a great feeling instrument to play, it’s gonna “keep” better in a case. I also toss one of those D’Addario humidipaks into every case, to keep the inside of the case at 45% relative humidity in all seasons (it both absorbs and releases moisture depending on RH); the PRS factory’s HVAC system is programmed for the same RH according to one of the PRS folks I talked with (I’d guess that’s except for the wood drying room?).

I’m speaking only for myself here; if I’m spending PS money for something to hang on a wall, I buy a beautiful work of art meant for a wall. If I’m buying a musical instrument, I want it to be in the best possible shape to serve as an instrument. YMMV, and I’d never tell folks they need to share my value system! ;)

Last edited:
Fading is all about photons and the photosensitivity of various organic pigments. For me, keeping a guitar cased is more about maintaining playability, pots and switches, as I’ll discuss below.

Indirect light can still fade a finish; it just takes longer. Remember, if you can see the wall, it’s getting plenty of photons, or you wouldn’t be able to see it. Even light bulbs can eventually affect a finish.

I have a Northern Lights PS. It stays in its case until I’m going to play it. There is no fading whatsoever; it’s as vibrant as the day it arrived nearly 4 years ago, but I keep my guitars cased for other reasons: the case buffers temperature and humidity changes that occur at different times of day, on different days, etc., so my guitars don’t need seasonal setup adjustments. So it just makes life easier for me to case them.

If you’re curious about what happens in a typical room re: humidity and temp changes in a single day or week, get a cheap digital hygrometer and take note of the readings for a while. You might be surprised.

Also, in a home, things like evaporated cooking oils and other airborne gunk are spread around as the air circulates. This is why pots eventually get scratchy, why dust that lands on the instruments turns to gunk and goo, etc.

So they just stay nicer to play if they’re kept in cases. If you prioritize having a great feeling instrument to play, it’s gonna “keep” better in a case. I also toss one of those D’Addario humidipaks into every case, to keep the inside of the case at 45% relative humidity in all seasons (it both absorbs and releases moisture depending on RH); the PRS factory’s HVAC system is programmed for the same RH according to one of the PRS folks I talked with (I’d guess that’s except for the wood drying room?).

I’m speaking only for myself here; if I’m spending PS money for something to hang on a wall, I buy a beautiful work of art meant for a wall. If I’m buying a musical instrument, I want it to be in the best possible shape to serve as an instrument. YMMV, and I’d never tell folks they need to share my value system! ;)
Very well put! But I think it comes down to how we view/use our instruments. For Les, they're an indispensable tool for his profession. If his volume pot starts to crackle while he's tracking an ad, it costs him money. If the finish is faded to a dull purple, it's going to make him sad, and he's going to start writing sad music, which his clients won't like. So whatever he can do to protect his work tools, he'll do it. Same for a contractor, a software engineer, or an electrician (dentists just buy new ones ;) - kidding, this is a PRS forum, we gotta make fun of the dentists! Except Toothace, of course.) For most of us, a scratch pot is an inconvenience, that we can fix with a soldering iron or a can of contact cleaner. I would, however, care if my PRS's finish started to fade - 1) because I couldn't fix it; and 2) because it would take away from the beauty of the guitar, which is part of the reason that I would buy a PRS.

Bringing it in-house for ya!

Never had the pleasure of seeing this in-person, but I'd sure like to. Something I've wanted to experience since I first read about it as a kid.

Luckily, I checked this one off of my "Bucket List' in 2008. I was working in Alaska and stayed up most of the night in absolute amazement! It really is something to behold! Kinda like @matt3310 guitar room...which reminds me..YO Matt! I need to come to your guitar room so I can check it off my list too! ;):cool:

Luckily, I checked this one off of my "Bucket List' in 2008. I was working in Alaska and stayed up most of the night in absolute amazement! It really is something to behold! Kinda like @matt3310 guitar room...which reminds me..YO Matt! I need to come to your guitar room so I can check it off my list too! ;):cool:
That is a great experience. I worked one winter very near the Arctic Circle. I lied on the roof of the truck parts of a few nights to watch the northern lights paint the sky. It is indescribably beautiful.

I hung my guitars on the wall for 4 years with no fading. Blackout blinds on the windows and LED light bulbs only on for a few hours each day help quite a bit.

Unfortunately, blue stain has a tendency to fade pretty badly...especially if the guitar is exposed to UV light. I was going to go northern lights, but I was warned ahead of time by a friend to steer clear of blue stain, and I'm happy I did. I wouldn't recommend canceling the PS on order, but I would recommend seeing if you can change the color. Just my opinion. Good luck!

My Pomegranate has faded just as badly. It's not the blue color.

Back