Non-PRS instrument discussions??

docbennett

Banned
Just a quick comment....I am still getting used to this new site, having been an active "BaM"er for many years. It will take awhile, but I am prepared to start with a clean slate and no preconceived ideas.

Question....Would it be appropriate and possible to create a section here devoted to instruments that do not derive from the PRS factory? I think it would add to the discussions here, and encourage others to migrate. Besides...I think the ability to discuss competitor's instruments would only add to the integrity of this site.

Just a suggestion, if it hasn't already been acted upon.

Just my two cents but I dont really think that will fly - this board is going to be linked on the mainpage of the PRS website, so while Paul is open to people using other instruments, no company would want to advertise for a competitor. I think people will just have to continue to participate at VR, TGP, HC, Rig-Talk and other non branded sites...

I just checked out the Ernie Ball forum and they do not have sections for other companies.
http://forums.ernieball.com/forum.php

Gibson also does not have non-Gibson owned companies on their boards either.
http://forum.gibson.com/

themike said:
Just my two cents but I don't really think that will fly - this board is going to be linked on the mainpage of the PRS website, so while Paul is open to people using other instruments, no company would want to advertise for a competitor. I think people will just have to continue to participate at VR, TGP, HC, Rig-Talk and other non branded sites...

I just checked out the Ernie Ball forum and they do not have sections for other companies.
http://forums.ernieball.com/forum.php

Gibson also does not have non-Gibson owned companies on their boards either.
http://forum.gibson.com/

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure Gibson used to have a section on their old forum back in 2008-2009. When they redid the place though they got rid of that.

solacematt said:
I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure Gibson used to have a section on their old forum back in 2008-2009. When they redid the place though they got rid of that.

Probably a reason for that :lol:

I totally get your point Doc. I also enjoy reading about and discussing "what else" is out there. I've found some great instruments that way, however, I'd like to think that members here might use other "non brand specific" forums (such as VR, TGP and others) to talk about other brands, and to educate people about PRS.

In my opinion: This is a PRS company site and I would prefer to see it remain as such, dedicated to our one common love. But that's just my thoughts.

Wait...let me see if I've got this straigtht....

What you saying is that - there are guitars out there not made by PRS?

Wow, how fruitless an attempt. Perfection cannot be duplicated :mrgreen:

Bennett, I have to disagree with you on this one.

The idea of having PRS employees and a PRS company site moderate discussions of competitors' instruments is beyond the pale; far from giving the appearance of impartiality, it might very well appear that PRS employee-mods are allowing (or by implication, encouraging) folks to unfairly bash competitors when the inevitable complaints/comparisons are made about this or that competitor's model, or QC, etc.

Then PRS would have to deal with competitors demanding that certain things be taken down, or posts deleted, and you have a big mess on your hands. I saw what happened several times with manufacturers going absolutely nuts with this stuff when they didn't think they were being treated fairly over at TGP, and started making demands that certain threads or posts be deleted, threatening lawsuits, etc.

And I'm not just talking big manufacturers; remember that PRS competes in the boutique amp world, the boutique guitar world, etc. I have seen the emails that get sent to mods on sites, and there are plenty of small makers who go out of their minds if one of their products is the subject of a complaint on the internet.

I think it would be a mistake for PRS to wade into territory that non-company websites do.

PRS could distance themselves with a 'opinions in the forum do not reflect official opinions or public statements' . . .

Is it worth the moderation (and they would have to watch this section), the headache / work of dealing with other companies and third parties, and possibly wading through legal issues (even if most threats fizzle out . . . say someone posted a trade secret or something that shouldn't be in public domain and the mods were slow to delete or didn't even delete / realize the ramification of that post at the time) that non PRS gear discussions would have?

Also since its non PRS, discussions can get pretty heated, since generally most here are favourable to PRS, but in other stuff, opinions can be unleashed . . .

Most companies simply take the easiest way out, just don't deal / avoid it, as there are other forums for that arena.

This forum is PRS property and an extension that changes the rules as opposed to a non offical forum like TGP or TDPRI . . .

and for the free advertising for others . . . heck I think it was a guy on TDRPI (tele forum) that got me looking at PRS . . .

themike said:
solacematt said:

Probably a reason for that :lol:

When they redid the whole forum though they basically wiped the entire thing clean though too. Posts from the old forum were not backed up, sadly.

Some forums do it successfully by making a completely different section for "all others". The FDP does it and they never seem to have issue, of course Fender stopped participating in that particular forum long ago.

This thread was started before I joined or around when I did.
FWIW, I posted all of my NGD PRS threads over on the Gibson board that I posted here.
Many over there post non Gibson guitars, and I was over there about a month back and someone had a NGD PRS thread.

Also Scott (sleary) on the forum here became a PRS convert and joined this site when he saw my PRS content over there.

But I agree this board is for PRS guitar discussion.

At first blush....I figured it wouldn't be a big deal talking about other brands on this forum.
For example...I've been GASing for a Gretsch, but I like reading this forum. I thought perhaps I could get advice about Gretsch, or even, what PRS would be closest to a Gretsch, etc....

But really....the Internet is a big place and there's dozens of spots I can read up on Gretsch.

I don't think anyone here has a problem if you mention you play this or that, along with your PRS...but in the end, it's a PRS Forum.

So, I would say "PRS only, please ;)"

T.

IMO it's in pretty bad taste to promote other brands on any company sponsored forum, guitars or cat food, it's the same. This is their forum, lets be considerate. I have no problem mentioning another brand in a conversation, but to extol the virtues of another brand is over the line. There are some very good brands and worthy of commendation, but more than saying you like the brand seems rude to me. This is on PRS's dime, not ours.

There are other PRS friendly boards where we can be specific about other brand's models.

For example...I've been GASing for a Gretsch, but I like reading this forum. I thought perhaps I could get advice about Gretsch, or even, what PRS would be closest to a Gretsch, etc....

I don't have much Gretsch experience, but from what I've heard my PRS Starla is a fairly Gretsch-inspired guitar. If it's the same style you're interested in, try to check one out! :)

I don't think anyone gets upset when you bring up other brands here, at least in the context of comparing PRS models with similar models from other companies.

A post that has no PRS content and isn't at least saying "maybe PRS should try this feature?" may not be so well received, especially if it's done by someone who doesn't post much PRS content.

The stuff we do see seems to be fine in the existing sections of the forum anyway, so I don't see the need for extra sections. :)

This thread was started before I joined or around when I did.
FWIW, I posted all of my NGD PRS threads over on the Gibson board that I posted here.
Many over there post non Gibson guitars, and I was over there about a month back and someone had a NGD PRS thread.

Also Scott (sleary) on the forum here became a PRS convert and joined this site when he saw my PRS content over there.

But I agree this board is for PRS guitar discussion.

I've always been a Prs fan, since 86 I believe lol....after you posted your SE 24 , I'm like oh crap this is going to get expensive lol...

I post here for Prs and there for Gibson ....keep it separate from each other . Don't want the girls to fight you know lol

PRS accounts for about 1/3 of my guitars, and 0% of my amps (must fix that, even with an SE20 combo). And no effects. Because PRS doesn't make any pedal or outboard signal processor. So while there is no need to discuss other guitar and amp manufacturers, I believe I've uncovered a critical gap here.

:eek:

DEAR PRS STAFF, PLEASE CREATE EFFECTS DEVICE. YOU KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE NOW. THX, FURTIVE
or else I will request a dedicated DOD pedal sub-forum.

Back