Non-locking tuners on a 2016 McCarty ?

Frank McNerney

Shoitza
Why would a 2016 McCarty have non-locking tuners? Was this an option? Would someone have to have removed the locking tuners? and Why ? Maybe the prefer the old style look or something?
Any ideas ?
Thanks

Pretty sure all 2016 have phase 3 locking tuners.
What guitar are you looking at?

I picked up a spotless, possibly never played mccarty. (Pics eventually but I’m too busy playing it now). It’s perfect in every way except for a little polishing needed on the pup covers and bridge. And. I would have liked phase 3 tuners. But not a show stopper by any means. I’m just totally curious why they are there. As far as I know the locking tuners have been standard since 2010 or 11.
If someone took them off they did a perfect job. The head looks like it’s never been touched
I’ll send a email to customer service soon and see what they know. Just wondering if maybe “vintage” tuners was a thing.

What's the serial number? Sure it is not a 2006?

The original version had the vintage style keys until they killed it around 2008, but they switched to the Phase III when the model was resurrected in 2015 or so.

Another tell is the older versions do not have neck binding, while the new version does.

What's the serial number? Sure it is not a 2006?

The original version had the vintage style keys until they killed it around 2008, but they switched to the Phase III when the model was resurrected in 2015 or so.

Another tell is the older versions do not have neck binding, while the new version does.

You're right - it is a 2006 - Thanks. I guess I'm gonna take it back - it's great but I got it from a PRS dealer and a 10 year mistake just doesn't sit right with me.

Thanks for your help

I had the ‘06 McCarty Soapbar RW that was at NAMM. It had the old style tuners, and was a smasheroo of a guitar. Just great!

“Where’s it now, Les?”

“Don’t go there. Another one of my cornucopia of guitar selling/buying/selling blunders.” :(

If it *is* a NOS 2006 McCarty, make sure you are paying 2006 prices for it! The 2000 McCarty I picked up recently from the original owner showed a sticker price of $2300 from a tag left in the case.

If it’s “great” does it matter when it was made?

I don't think when it was made does matter that much - but price-wise I feel like it went from a great deal to a reasonable deal - one that will be available again. It's a lot of money either way and I'm really wondering how a PRS dealer puts a mislabeled guitar on their wall. It's a consignment deal - so they either took the word of the guy who owns it
If it *is* a NOS 2006 McCarty, make sure you are paying 2006 prices for it! The 2000 McCarty I picked up recently from the original owner showed a sticker price of $2300 from a tag left in the case.
Thanks for your help and advice. It’s used not NOS I don’t think it’s ever been played though. Totally perfect condition except for a bit of blemish on the pup covers and the bridge. Other not even a sign of pick scratch
It’s on consignment for 1800. I thought that was a GREAT deal for a 2016. I still
Think it’s a good deal for a 2006 in this condition. But it bothers me that they thought it was a 2016. I mean what? And why. Simple mistake or what? The previous owner knows what it was. And the dealer should have checked it out.
It’s a lot of money for me and it’s feeling weird. Sorry for this ranting but I’ve gotten paranoid. Thanks

Back