Noise gate help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gush, Jan 11, 2018.

1. gush

gush New Member

Helping a buddy out with his rig which is very obnoxious. Going to try to figure out what's causing it but what is the best stomp box gate?

Thanks

2. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Silver pants make me wanna dance.

The Boss NS2 is pretty popular and inexpensive. I saw a lot of those when I was recording metal bands. The Hush (Rocktron) pedals were pretty simple and decent, although I didn't like how "soft" the decay was on the reduction. It was good for less staccato-heavy stuff. Really depends on what kinda band your guy is in.

As usual, I'll recommend the Zoom MS50g pedal. It has a few gate models to choose from, and I like the ZNR one as it has controls for threshold, reduction/attenuation, and decay/release which makes it kinda versatile and full featured. It can also double (or triple) as a tuner and an extra effect (or two or four) while only taking up one spot on your board.

3. gag halfrunt

gag halfrunt Big Bad Bill

I had an ISP Decimator pedal when I was playing loud metal and it worked great. They have released an upgraded version recently.

kes7u likes this.