NOGD McCarty Hollowbody II

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Cmnaround, Mar 20, 2015.

1. g.wizz

g.wizz Nabs

2. vchizzle

vchizzle Zomb!e Nine, DFZ

3. ADP

ADP New Member

The colour is violin amber sunburst, which is a violin amber base with a tobacco sunburst on top. It's a beautiful colour. I have a 1999 violin amber Hollowbody II. They're excellent guitars. You made a very good choice.

4. Cmnaround

Cmnaround New Member

Thanks for all the excellent info and super nice compliments! It's like night and day when I compare against what I have been playing. So nice. It does have the tag - that's where I found "archtop" written in for the pickups.

What's the deal with center block and no center block? I went in thinking they were all chambered out by a CMC process but I guess that's just the semi hollow guitars - this looks to be totally hollow with exception of the block under the bridge. So top and back glued to the sides? That's even better in my opinion and probably why it sounds so good plugged in and also unplugged.

5. CVS

CVS Not so new member

Your guitar is a beauty. You will not be disappointed. I also have a Hollowbody I with Archtops and an American Stratocaster. The difference in sound is like night and day (both have their purpose)!

What kind of music do you plan on playing with you "new" guitar?

6. Cmnaround

Cmnaround New Member

I play Grateful Dead and jam band style - Americana rock and roll with long jams squeezed in wherever we can.

7. garrett

garrett knows just enough to be dangerous

They only did a small number of them with center block. In 2010, I think? Otherwise, they're all gutted out except for the sound post. It's all done by CNC machines.

Ebony tuner buttons were standard on the early Hollowbody models. I'm not sure when they stopped doing that.

Just wait till you play it with the band. The whole thing vibrates; such a lively design. I feel the occasional puff of air on my arm from the f hole.

8. ADP

ADP New Member

No PRS Hollowbody has ever had a full-depth centre block like a 335. They made a change to the way they carve the top in 2010, but the mahogany centre and maple back are carved the same as before. Basically, they don't remove any maple between the pickups so it's stiffer than on earlier models.

9. BeerBatteredPhish

BeerBatteredPhish New Member

beautiful guitar, play it in good health !

10. CVS

CVS Not so new member

Can't wait to hear what you think of the tone! I use my Hollowbody as a substitute for a Gibson ES 335. It is a very versatile guitar. Enjoy.

11. watelessness

watelessness Member

very very NICE!

12. prsrocker1988

prsrocker1988 New Member

13. Cmnaround

Cmnaround New Member

Is there anything special about the middle pick up selection or is it just both pick ups at the same time? Seems like more than just 1 + 1 = 2 in that it sounds different - better that is - than when I do the same with my other guitar. So much so I've dubbed it the magic two spot when I'm going through and listening to all of the different pickup / volume / tone control adjustments and different amp settings. I also noticed if I turn down the volume to 6 or so I get really nice clean rhythm sounds and when I bump it back up to 10 I can get noticeably more gain - so the volume does have a big impact on overall tone. Been playing through a Blues Jr and also a mesa rack pre amp > mesa 20/20 power amp > 2 x 12 closed back ported cabinet with 2 x 12 Tone Tubby hemp cones and man does it sound good. The blues Jr is nice and all but the mesa brings it to life - both clean and distorted. I can only use one of the 3 lead channel positions due to feedback - but with that one I get amazing control of sustain and feedback. So far so good!

#33 Cmnaround, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  14. solacematt

solacematt New Member

I have 2 McCarty HB's - my first one like yours does not have a piezo, but the one I acquired last month is the same model but with birds, piezo, and is an artist package. I noticed that my new one's pickup covers are brushed like yours and sounds different from my non piezo HB. Same pickups but the new one is a bit brighter. I will say since they both have McCarty archtop pickups It does get a nice warm LP-ish type sound sometimes center toggled, and a bit more on just bridge.

15. Tikabear

Tikabear New Member

Congrats man! I just bought one too. Lovin' it. I really dig the color on yours. Mine's an '07, natural with birds and no piezo. Came with SD '59s installed but the originals were included. I reinstalled them and sold the '59s. I much prefer the archtop pickups.

16. Bluesboy998

Bluesboy998 New Member

Beautiful good luck