NOGD: Any other PRS SC-J owners here?

Kiwi

I mentioned this recent arrival in the changing-pickups thread, but I'd like to start a new discussion thread for the PRS SC-J. I don't know a whole lot about them, and I'd like to hear from other owners. I figured this forum is probably a good place to start.

Shawn was kind enough to mention the SC-J was a Joe Knaggs design, and I think only 300 were made. Curious if there's more back story, and what other uses current owners have for theirs (your styles of play and music).

I'm playing fingerstyle into big clean amps with reverb, in a curious blend I'd describe as John Fahey meets the prog rockers. (Hey, I grew up in the 1970s.) The fully hollow SC-J will eventually feed back but it takes a fair amount of volume, and up till feedback you just get wonderful harmonic sustain. It does not have the deep boom on the low E as my HB-II and Archtop-II, but the SC-J is also a thinline, and it has a very different voice from the other hollows. I did not want the Bigsby option and was happy to see this tailpiece model come along.

Mine is signed on the back of the headstock and dated 2008, but the serial number is 2009. I got it very clean and used over Thanksgiving on a Black Friday markdown sale by a Midwest guitar dealer.

Pictures, we got pictures:

XV310Gv.jpg

MskeKm5.jpg

CW11Om1.jpg

dQXI6n7.jpg

Anyone else got one? What do you use it for, and (deep breath) has anyone put flatwounds on it?

=K

Hubba hubba! I have a weird fobia kinda thing with f/s-holes ..I cant explain it?:eek: They just bother me...but this beautiful thing could change everything! Congrats!

Like the guitar and 1st time I have ever seen one of these, much less put my hands on one.
Congrats
Jazzy!!
....... I got no experience with them but I did try flats on my HB SC ........ all it did was take the versatility out of it.
I was thinking along these lines (flats on HB I), but now I think I will pass..........

I was thinking along these lines (flats on HB I), but now I think I will pass..........

Don't get me wrong, it works, it's just a question if you want an axe dedicated for jazz only.
.... and just food for thought, a lot of jazz players use round wounds, in modern times I thinks it's the majority.

I love mine. Stole it, practically (bought it for less than I've ever seen it, before or since), and despite being one of my cheapest core guitars, it's one I keep going back to.

Styles: three blind mice and other beginner songs

Hubba hubba! I have a weird fobia kinda thing with f/s-holes ..I cant explain it?:eek: They just bother me...but this beautiful thing could change everything! Congrats!
So many inappropriate comments! Maybe when I know you better bro! :D

I mentioned this recent arrival in the changing-pickups thread, but I'd like to start a new discussion thread for the PRS SC-J. I don't know a whole lot about them, and I'd like to hear from other owners. I figured this forum is probably a good place to start.

Shawn was kind enough to mention the SC-J was a Joe Knaggs design, and I think only 300 were made. Curious if there's more back story, and what other uses current owners have for theirs (your styles of play and music).

I'm playing fingerstyle into big clean amps with reverb, in a curious blend I'd describe as John Fahey meets the prog rockers. (Hey, I grew up in the 1970s.) The fully hollow SC-J will eventually feed back but it takes a fair amount of volume, and up till feedback you just get wonderful harmonic sustain. It does not have the deep boom on the low E as my HB-II and Archtop-II, but the SC-J is also a thinline, and it has a very different voice from the other hollows. I did not want the Bigsby option and was happy to see this tailpiece model come along.

Mine is signed on the back of the headstock and dated 2008, but the serial number is 2009. I got it very clean and used over Thanksgiving on a Black Friday markdown sale by a Midwest guitar dealer.

Pictures, we got pictures:

XV310Gv.jpg

MskeKm5.jpg

CW11Om1.jpg

dQXI6n7.jpg

Anyone else got one? What do you use it for, and (deep breath) has anyone put flatwounds on it?

=K
I have the twin to this guitar and it is sensational. I've never played it - I'm not a guitarist - but when I saw it, I had to have it. Bought mine in 2012 for $3500. I gave it to my sister back in 2018 - she's never played it either - not a guitarist.

I have the twin to this guitar and it is sensational. I've never played it - I'm not a guitarist - but when I saw it, I had to have it. Bought mine in 2012 for $3500. I gave it to my sister back in 2018 - she's never played it either - not a guitarist.
It’s better to admit to it rather than pretending to, like the rest of us.

Congrats !!!! I've seen a couple on Reverb , for about $6500 , gorgeous instrument ! Enjoy !! As far as flatwounds..if it's jazz only throw a set on. I've found so far the only guitar I llike them on is my Heritage H575 custom ( hand carved ES 175)

Wow! I have wanted one of these a long time. I'd never be able to justify that kind of purchase. ...more guitar than I deserve, anyway.

Not flatwounds, but I had one that I used with D'Addario Half Rounds, and OMG were they a game changer! They took it from a cool sounding guitar to an incredibly balanced and nuanced tone machine! If you haven't tried them, I implore you to get a set ASAP. You're welcome in advance. :)

PS ... it was such a cool, great sounding guitar, but for whatever reason, was somehow uncomfortable for me to play, which is why I sold it.

Back