No more valves…..?

IMHO, there is still no digital / modeling amp format that truly equals or surpasses good quality tube amp performance. The big draw to digital / modeling is mostly convenience, consistency, and perhaps reliability...
The newer technology keeps getting closer though....

And therein lies the beauty! Some are hardcore analog, some like me are hybrid players, some are all digital. And it’s all good! And you can change back and forth as it works for you. Options are a good thing.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Wait... don't we need to keep debating this until we're all on one side? :D

You know you’re wrong until you hear it like me…. :confused:

I know how to settle this once and for all! At the next experience, we get all the hard core tube only guys on one side, all the hard core modeler guys on the other, and have a "tug of war." Les will anchor the tube team.

Of course, then we'll have to decide what to do with the guys who go both ways (o_O) like you, and I... and the guys like Aahzz who keep switching teams. :p:p:p

I know how to settle this once and for all! At the next experience, we get all the hard core tube only guys on one side, all the hard core modeler guys on the other, and have a "tug of war." Les will anchor the tube team.

Of course, then we'll have to decide what to do with the guys who go both ways (o_O) like you, and I... and the guys like Aahzz who keep switching teams. :p:p:p

I still use Helix Native for practicing and recording, a Boss Katana MkII as backup, and then the tube amp for playing with the band - I'm firmly on team "use what fits at the moment" :).

I still use Helix Native for practicing and recording, a Boss Katana MkII as backup, and then the tube amp for playing with the band - I'm firmly on team "use what fits at the moment" :).
I know, me too. Use a modeler every time I play live, swear the tubes sound better every time I turn the amps on. Use what fits. I was just having some fun with the teams. I might have to "draft" a whole roster when I get home tonight. LOL

I don't record my pukes nor I have a need for unlimited tone options. Having that and knowing high level modeling setup is equal in cost to decent amp setup I choosing to stay with my Boogie. My rig has everything I need and nothing I don't.

I don't say never. I know me and modeling may happen eventually but it will be rather dictated by being unable to sustain what I have right now. See vacuum valves for example. Until couple of years ago we had 3 factories - one in Czech Republic, one in Russia and one in China where my beloved Mesa STR440 ware made. Chines factory burned down and it doesn't look like it's gonna be back as the district officials refusing to give permission to rebuild it. I guess another Apple factory is more profitable for the district... it took me hell of a work to be able to get a little supply of STR440 but same time I can't get the preamp valves I was using for PI. With modelers I would most likely have that thing as one less to worry about

STR 440 was a "special tube request" that was made by Sylvania. No current production tube come close to that spec, but a few approach it.

STR 440 was a "special tube request" from Sylvania. No current production tube come close to that spec, but a few approach it.

Em7, STR440 was actually Chinese. If you thinking =C= its not same one

Em7, STR440 was actually Chinese. If you thinking =C= its not same one

No, you are mistaken. STR440 (special tube request number 440) was a specification that Randall Smith sent to the Sylvania plant in Emporium, PA (the last operating tube plant in the United States), It was for a 6L6 beam tetrode tube that could be operated inverted at relatively high voltage with high reliability. That kind of request was typical of music manufacturers during that period.

No, you are mistaken. STR440 (special tube request number 440) was a specification that Randall Smith sent to the Sylvania plant in Emporium, PA (the last operating tube plant in the United States), It was for a 6L6 beam tetrode tube that could be operated inverted at relatively high voltage with high reliability. That kind of request was typical of music manufacturers during that period.

I can't link to the product page any more as it was taken down couple of months ago but here's the description I copied:

"STR-440 (China)
The MESA 6L6 STR 440 is a premium grade, US equivalent with rich, defined bass, tailored mids and a shimmering top-end to keep every note amazingly intelligible, with a smooth, creamy character. Premium structural quality provides exceptional consistency and reliability, Rivals NOS (New Old Stock) durability and sonic character. They are an excellent choice for all styles of music"

Also link to the grailtone forum where origin of STR440 is mentioned few times.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=70279

Either way - I have 19 sets :)

Guys, it was probably originally made in the US when Sylvania was still in operation, and then copied or badge engineered at Mesa's request in China.

It won't be the first time a new production tube takes on the moniker of one of the classic old ones.

Google STR 440, and you can find the Chinese ones at music stores all over the place.

I only wish I could buy more =C= EL34's. You could still get the Mesa select ones like a year ago. I made more on the stash I had than I made on Rockerverb I kept them for lol

I only wish I could buy more =C= EL34's. You could still get the Mesa select ones like a year ago. I made more on the stash I had than I made on Rockerverb I kept them for lol

There are better investments, even in tubes.

Actually, I stand corrected, STR-440 is in fact a special tube request made to Shuguang. However, what it is is a Chinese attempt at the Sylvania STR-415, which Randall Smith requested from Sylvania in the early 80s.. The gist of the special tube request is for a tube that works reliably when operated inverted. Vacuum tubes where not designed to operate inverted in a piece of equipment that is producing large amount of sound pressure. Tube combos are rough on tubes. While a lot of older musicians like heads and cabs because they are easier to haul than a Super or Twin Reverb, a tube head is much better design from a reliability point of view than a tube combo because the heat dissipates away from the tubes. Post-JTM 45 Marshall heads were notorious for tube failure not because they were heads, but because they used EL-34s, which is not a very robust tube design. That is why Rose-Morris shipped Marshalls to the U.S. with 6550s installed when they controlled U.S. distribution. The 6550 is a much more robust tube design that could easily make it through the warranty period. That is why it is not uncommon to encounter "basement find" Marshall heads with 6550s installed. The 6CA7 was also quite popular in Marshall heads. These tubes were much easier to source on the road than EL34s. Remember, there was period of time when one could walk into any Radio Shack or even a 7-Eleven store in the United States and purchase vacuum tubes. They were consumer consumables, not the exotic components that they are today.

Last edited:
I started on the boss katana but bought an archon because the boss just wasn't cutting it for me. The katana is portable and has more effects available than my pedal board, but those are the only upsides of it vs the archon for me. Sound-wise the archon blows it away.

I think for me the katana is too fizzy/fuzzy/spitty/sizzly on any of the gain channels. I wish they had made one of the channels sound like a Mesa Boogie instead of a Marshall.

Back