No More Blistertone Amps :(

HANGAR18

Who is John Galt?
The idea ran across my brain that "What if I want another Blistertone amp as a backup in case something happens to the one I've got now?" So I sent an email to PRS to ask if they would still make one upon request. The answer was no...

For some reason I was under the impression they had some "Custom Amp Design" department or something which accepted special orders. Did they used to but have since stopped doing that? Or maybe I just did too much LDS in the 60's.

Yeah, but one is seriously ugly (so ugly that I wouldn't want to be seen with it), one had the same serial number as a another one previously on Reverb, another one the story keeps changing about all the stuff that has been done to it and what the amp has been through while they try to portray that it is new old stock.

Reactions: jxe
Oh, completely unrelated to this thread... (hijacking my own thread)
One thing that I've learned about myself is that if someone new to the forum on their very first poost starts running their mouth about how much they don't like their PRS guitar or they post what looks like a professional sales pitch for guitars from another brand, I will typically fire a shot across the bow. I know I'm supposed to be nice and not say anything rude but.... well most of us know that PRS makes the best guitars on the planet and I'm not usually one to suffer fools. Call it a character flaw.

Oh, completely unrelated to this thread... (hijacking my own thread)
One thing that I've learned about myself is that if someone new to the forum on their very first poost starts running their mouth about how much they don't like their PRS guitar or they post what looks like a professional sales pitch for guitars from another brand, I will typically fire a shot across the bow. I know I'm supposed to be nice and not say anything rude but.... well most of us know that PRS makes the best guitars on the planet and I'm not usually one to suffer fools. Call it a character flaw.

Woosahhhh! Brother.

Woosahhhh! Brother.

giphy.gif

Do you suppose PRS copyrighted the amp design? I wonder if they would release a detailed design schematic for those of us who might want to do a DIY amp clone project at home.

Do you suppose PRS copyrighted the amp design? I wonder if they would release a detailed design schematic for those of us who might want to do a DIY amp clone project at home.
Copyright vs Patent vs Trademark vs Trade Secret are all very confusing when it comes to something like a circuit design and implementation (which is what an amp really is).

The following is AFAIK:

Circuit designs cannot be copyrighted, but the specific schematic drawing or board layout for a particular circuit can be.

Patents would apply if there was some "novel" or unique new part of the design, and that element of the design is protected from being implemented by anyone else for a certain period of time (unless a license is granted).

Looking at the back of a typical Blistertone amp I found online, I see no Trademark or Copyright or Patent notifications. The PRS logo/signature is of course TMed. Well, I would hope it is...

But, regardless of what term should apply, I doubt PRS would be interested in releasing the design/schematics.

Still, one could fairly easily, I suspect, reverse engineer the design from looking at (and possibly partially disassembling) an existing hand-wired amp like a Blistertone (I assume there are no SMD boards or other tiny stuff). The most difficult part would probably be the transformer, since that is where some of the magic happens, and you may not be able to buy that exact item on the open market.

Back