NJA15D - NGD - JA-15

shinksma

What? I get a title?
A bandmate has a 1970s (I think, might be 80s) Washburn hollowbody J-6, and I really enjoyed playing that, despite the, uh, more modest nature of that guitar, inspiring me to get jazzier than I might normally do so. So I figured a JA-15 was something I'd really enjoy.

I have been trolling for one of these for a while, but never saw a really good deal, so I was content to wait. Especially since I've already bought a few PRSi this year. And a couple PRS Amps.

Anyway, was poking around on eBay and this came up for a pretty good price. So here it is! Arrived yesterday, but really only had a chance for a quick unpacking before getting on with other activities.

Got some nice sunshine this morning, so here it is:

yF7yDGg.jpg

sdXncZX.jpg

pvQxQMP.jpg

It doesn't have nearly as much of that red in the burst in real life.

The ebony tuner buttons are a nice customization I will keep. I don't know if the amber lampshade knobs are original or custom - there is another set of clear-looking knobs in the case. Photos of JA-15s online seem to show amber knobs.

I knew it had a couple other things "customized" by a previous owner that I might want to change back. This was the first: remove the extra strap button on the back:

OIwsMNn.jpg

It has left a hole, of course. Any suggestions on what I can do to fill that hole in some unique way? Sergio, got any spare rhinestones?

TrYq27U.jpg

The bottom strap button has also been swapped out for that strap-lock type, but I will leave it installed, since the guitar strap I'm using fits over it nicely anyway.

Also, the pickups were not set up how I would want them, so I have remedied that:

fNnBBMk.jpg

6zv1FDY.jpg

And finally, the wiring harness has been swapped out for a "Gibson" style. The original harness was included. I thought to myself, well, maybe I'll take off the back control cavity cover and swap everything back to stock quickly. Oh wait, there is no back cover. I really don't feel like futzing with the harness via the f-hole and jack area, so perhaps I will leave it alone for now...

Anyway, how does "Gibson wiring" differ from the PRS configuration?

Bangin'! Man, PJJ is my favorite PRS endorser ever! I kinda get the allure of a sig model that some folks must feel, if I could just play a little bit more like him by buying one.

Yes, of course I have some rhinestones I could send you... why someone felt the need to put a strap button there is beyond me.

Bangin'! Man, PJJ is my favorite PRS endorser ever! I kinda get the allure of a sig model that some folks must feel, if I could just play a little bit more like him by buying one.

Yes, of course I have some rhinestones I could send you... why someone felt the need to put a strap button there is beyond me.
I tried using the strap on that button (may as well try what the previous owner was going for), and the guitar just hung way too far forward, which is what I would have expected. So yeah, seems like a weird change to make.

I was mostly jesting with the rhinestone thing, but I think I might indeed find some sort of pin that I can insert with a little bit of gemstone or something to give it the tiniest bit of flash.

Maybe find a short nail or tack, and glue something to the top...

I like opal - I believe it is a birthstone for my month, and I was raised in Australia, so there's a connection there...or maybe a small piece of paua, to match the birds.

Very nice! I, too, am very patiently trawling for a JA-15. Actually, it's not top on the list right now, which is probably the only reason I didn't buy that out from under you. Although I really want that red one on Reverb, (wanted? not even going to look), but it's priced way too high for me.

Very nice! I, too, am very patiently trawling for a JA-15. Actually, it's not top on the list right now, which is probably the only reason I didn't buy that out from under you. Although I really want that red one on Reverb, (wanted? not even going to look), but it's priced way too high for me.
Yeah, that is a very nice example! And yeah, priced far higher than I was willing to fork out. Probably worth it, if you are willing to pay the price, but I wasn't.

So I played around a fair bit on the new axe this morning, ranging from jazzy stuff to blues to a pretty good classic rock chugging grind, all through my Sweet 16. Reverb varied from none to quite heavy.

I really like this guitar! Those 53/10 pickups have nice definition!

And it occurred to me a possible and relatively inexpensive solution for that hole in the back where I removed the strap pin: a (costume jewelry) stud earring might be just the ticket! I'd need to beef up the post, but that should be easy enough.

Amazon has some interesting selections, but I might just troll the nearby malls and shopping centres to see what they have...

Since it's in the back, I wouldn't worry too much about it, and just get one of those black rubber stoppers. If it was somewhere a little more visible, I was going to suggest the head of a toy, like those little green army men, or whatever. XD

Maybe a little personal inlay, to disguise the hole!

I’m sure you’ll find something you like

So I had a couple of Amazon pages with two different sets of Paua earrings up on screen (nice and flat, no fancy setting), and my wife said "ooh, that's looks pretty". Told her it was for the small hole on the back of the guitar. She said "yeah, that will look nice! Get the bigger set."

I love my wife.

Here I come again now baby
Like a dog in heat
Tell it's me by the clamor now baby
I like to tap the streets
Now I've been smoking for so long
You know I'm here to stay
Got you in a stranglehold baby
You best get out of the way

So poking around looking for some info on specs (was wondering exactly how much bigger it was compared to a regular PRS electric guitar, etc), and I stumbled on an older thread here that I had posted in last July. Looking at one of the poster's names, I now realize I bought his guitar!

Anyway, didn't have any chance to play it yesterday, but maybe tonight it will get some attention!

Back