Nitro tone is so much better than poly tone

Kendall

Hi everyone, so I’ve been playing guitar for three months now and I’ve dedicated a substantial amount of that time to finding out which sounds better, nitro or poly. First I tried a guitar with a poly finish and it’s sounded completely lifeless. Then, I tried a guitar with a nitro finish, and wow! The nitro finish sounds so much better! On the poly guitar, I sounded like a total newbie. But on the nitro guitar, I sound much more like John Mayer. Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I sound pretty awesome now. Finally, after three long excruciating months, my tone journey is complete. :cool:

What was the quality gap between the two guitars? Pickup differences? Playing style? Strings? Are you comparing apples to oranges? The finish is a single piece of a HUGE puzzle that makes up the guitar's tonal character.

I'm usually more comfortable saying..."I definitely like guitar X over guitar Y" I've found that there is not perfect formula to what makes a guitar GREAT for me. For me it's more about what the guitar is like once you start laying down the licks.

Hi everyone, so I’ve been playing guitar for three months now and I’ve dedicated a substantial amount of that time to finding out which sounds better, nitro or poly. First I tried a guitar with a poly finish and it’s sounded completely lifeless. Then, I tried a guitar with a nitro finish, and wow! The nitro finish sounds so much better! On the poly guitar, I sounded like a total newbie. But on the nitro guitar, I sound much more like John Mayer. Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I sound pretty awesome now. Finally, after three long excruciating months, my tone journey is complete. :cool:
Wait, your tone journey is complete? You sure about that chief? What kind of strap do you use? Until you've optimized your strap tone you still have a lot to learn.

Pickup differences?
Im too young to drive but my dad has a pickup. Everyone talks to me about pickups though when I mention guitars. Why is that? You make a good point though. I suppose there is more than one factor when it comes to tone

Umm…no. That’s not nitro, it’s JM spit. Rubbed all over your guitar. Girls will want to rub on your guitar. Heck, you will want to rub all over your guitar. It’s my prediction that you will have a completely “aged” guitar in 45 days. Keep the dog away from it, for Pete’s sake. Come back in 40 years, revisit the topic and count the panty burns from all those throw at you in shows.

Last edited:
The guy who built the “air guitar“ on YouTube begs to differ. That might be the most scientific approach to figuring out where “tone” comes from I’ve ever seen. Believe me I know about experiments and controls. It wasn’t perfect, but I watched it and as a scientist I was impressed.

The guy who built the “air guitar“ on YouTube begs to differ. That might be the most scientific approach to figuring out where “tone” comes from I’ve ever seen. Believe me I know about experiments and controls. It wasn’t perfect, but I watched it and as a scientist I was impressed.

Well, maybe, but the key here is, were you paying enough attention to the video, to see if the air was finished in nitro or poly? Clearly, with this late breaking news, that's all that REALLY matters.

Try coating that poly guitar in Frank's Redhot sauce. I put that $%&* on everything.

Back