"nitro over celluose (CAB) finish" on McCarty 2020

One Day Outside Jericho...

[sound of urgent knock on tent pole]

“Open up, police!”

“I’m Joshua. What’s this?”

“It’s a citation for disturbing the peace. Either pay ten shekels right now, or I’m taking you in.”

“Are you kidding? Where would I get ten shekels? I just got in from spending 40 years in the desert! Listen, my band is doing the work of god. You think we’re marching around those walls with our band for sh!ts and giggles?”

“The people inside those walls have the right to the peaceful enjoyment of their homes. Your band is making a racket. Either pay the ten shekels and TURN DOWN THOSE HORNS, or you’re coming with me.”

“Dude, it’s about TONE! We can’t get our tone on the trumpets and ram’s horns unless we reach a certain volume.”

“You’ll have to explain that to the judge while you’re being tortured for a confession. OK boys, take this one in!”

Ach Les, this is one of your best yet!

Love the Monty Python vibe!

Wait...wait...PS Nitro on 2020 models??????
Even though the formula is the same, I think the application techniques, layer thickness, laboring, duration, etc. are not the same. It's not possible to do all PS activity on mass-production core guitars IMHO.

Even though the formula is the same, I think the application techniques, layer thickness, laboring, duration, etc. are not the same. It's not possible to do all PS activity on mass-production core guitars IMHO.

Have you seen how labor intensive the finish prep, spraying, sanding, and polishing is with the previous Core poly finish? Don’t know if you’ve been to the factory, but it’s pretty involved, at least from what I saw.

I haven’t seen a 2020, maybe you have and compared them with a PS.

I’ll have to reserve judgment until I get my hands on one. I sure like what’s on my PS models!

Have you seen how labor intensive the finish prep, spraying, sanding, and polishing is with the previous Core poly finish? Don’t know if you’ve been to the factory, but it’s pretty involved, at least from what I saw.

I haven’t seen a 2020, maybe you have and compared them with a PS.

I’ll have to reserve judgment until I get my hands on one. I sure like what’s on my PS models!
No I haven't seen either actual works for the old poly-base coating, nor the new CAB one Les. And I'm sure no one would, at least at this moment.
I just said my opinion based on real world fact. How possible you would sell a thing at a 1/3 price while consuming the same resources equally as your 3-times more expensive one? There must be some differences for sure, that's what I tried to say.

Just a simple logic. No need to go to the factory.

No I haven't seen either actual works for the old poly-base coating, nor the new CAB one Les. And I'm sure no one would, at least at this moment.
I just said my opinion based on real world fact. How possible you would sell a thing at a 1/3 price while consuming the same resources equally as your 3-times more expensive one? There must be some differences for sure, that's what I tried to say.

Just a simple logic. No need to go to the factory.

Might not be the finish that consumes the additional time on a PS. Hard for me to say. The ones in the demo videos certainly look great.

I ordered one of the 2020 models, regardless. With luck, I’ll still be around when it arrives! o_O

I think it’s safe to say that part of the reason for change in finish will be Paul’s continued wish to improve.

It’s good to see the PRSh took note of Les’ frequent posts, extolling the tonal value of a nitro finish.;)

I think it’s safe to say that part of the reason for change in finish will be Paul’s continued wish to improve.

It’s good to see the PRSh took note of Les’ frequent posts, extolling the tonal value of a nitro finish.;)

For years not only did I not believe the nitro mattered for tone, I hated the stuff because the Gibsons I had over the years were sticky, with gloopy finishes. And I posted this opinion on forums in my ranting, difficult, endless way.

I even had a couple of Collings acoustics with their nitro over acrylic base coat that weren’t sticky - I liked the tone and they didn’t offer poly. But I still wasn’t convinced.

As far as I was concerned, poly finishes were a tremendous advance, end of story. Then something happened.

The early DGTs were nitro. Playing one by chance at CME in Chicago on a visit to my daughter put paid to my earlier thinking.

There was a clearly audible difference with the early DGT; the tone was more vintage (the guitar wasn’t sticky, either), and I was converted. My PS models only made my miraculous conversion more intense.

Recent converts often make the most obnoxious proselytizers, and I certainly qualify!

I will add this, however: the recent PRS poly finishes going back to V12 are pretty damn nice finishes. I’m still going to hang onto my 2017/18 594s, despite just ordering a new McCarty.

My 1977 Martin D18 has a nitro finish and it's never been sticky. I do use the Martin polish which I think is excellent. Never leaves a residue etc.

Something like this, maybe?

img_4891.jpg
WTH??? That's badassery to the fullest!

My 1977 Martin D18 has a nitro finish and it's never been sticky. I do use the Martin polish which I think is excellent. Never leaves a residue etc.

I had great luck with the nitro on Martins and Collings I owned, I must admit.

Any long term updates on this? Got a DGT coming and I’m trying to occupy myself with rabid obsession of details until it gets here...

Has the feel changed? Any change in appearance?

Any long term updates on this? Got a DGT coming and I’m trying to occupy myself with rabid obsession of details until it gets here...

Has the feel changed? Any change in appearance?

I got the McCarty Trem with the 2020 finish in early August. It looks, feels and sounds very much like the nitro on my PS models, though as I understand it, the base coat is different.

The finish feels hard and solid, not tacky - in this respect the same as the PS models - and looks to me like it'll hold up well. I don't do anything different with my nitro guitars than my poly finished ones, but I am in the habit of keeping all of them in their cases when not in use, and of course, you want to keep nitro finishes away from surgical tubing that comes on some guitar stands, and remove leather straps before putting the guitars away.

I got the McCarty Trem with the 2020 finish in early August. It looks, feels and sounds very much like the nitro on my PS models, though as I understand it, the base coat is different.

The finish feels hard and solid, not tacky - in this respect the same as the PS models - and looks to me like it'll hold up well. I don't do anything different with my nitro guitars than my poly finished ones, but I am in the habit of keeping all of them in their cases when not in use, and of course, you want to keep nitro finishes away from surgical tubing that comes on some guitar stands, and remove leather straps before putting the guitars away.

good to hear about the feel. I have a few nitro guitars and prefer them (takes the sting off my kids knocking into them). Cut up t-shirts over the stands etc.

Probably too soon to tell if there’s any checking or natural aging going on with these. The only nitro PRS I’ve had was a PS Santana retro but it came with some light checking from the factory

Last edited:
Probably too soon to tell if there’s any checking or natural aging going on with these. The only nitro PRS was a PS Santana retro but it came with some light checking from the factory

I have no checking or aging on my PS models; they date back to 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016. The caveat is that I use them in my own studio on ad tracks, and I haven't taken them out in winter.

I imagine they'd check a bit if I was traveling to other studios with them.

Back