"nitro over celluose (CAB) finish" on McCarty 2020

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Supasso, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

Ach Les, this is one of your best yet!

Love the Monty Python vibe!

LSchefman likes this.
  2. jfb

jfb Plank Owner

Wait...wait...PS Nitro on 2020 models??????

LSchefman likes this.
  3. FunkyFreeman

FunkyFreeman Moo Panuwat

Even though the formula is the same, I think the application techniques, layer thickness, laboring, duration, etc. are not the same. It's not possible to do all PS activity on mass-production core guitars IMHO.

4. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Have you seen how labor intensive the finish prep, spraying, sanding, and polishing is with the previous Core poly finish? Don’t know if you’ve been to the factory, but it’s pretty involved, at least from what I saw.

I haven’t seen a 2020, maybe you have and compared them with a PS.

I’ll have to reserve judgment until I get my hands on one. I sure like what’s on my PS models!

WA Paul, bodia and Alnus Rubra like this.
  5. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I had dinner with Cleese just the other night, and had to turn down his many requests for comedy advice.

6. FunkyFreeman

FunkyFreeman Moo Panuwat

No I haven't seen either actual works for the old poly-base coating, nor the new CAB one Les. And I'm sure no one would, at least at this moment.
    I just said my opinion based on real world fact. How possible you would sell a thing at a 1/3 price while consuming the same resources equally as your 3-times more expensive one? There must be some differences for sure, that's what I tried to say.

Just a simple logic. No need to go to the factory.

LSchefman likes this.
  7. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Might not be the finish that consumes the additional time on a PS. Hard for me to say. The ones in the demo videos certainly look great.

I ordered one of the 2020 models, regardless. With luck, I’ll still be around when it arrives! o_O

bodia, pauloqs and FunkyFreeman like this.
  8. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

I think it’s safe to say that part of the reason for change in finish will be Paul’s continued wish to improve.

It’s good to see the PRSh took note of Les’ frequent posts, extolling the tonal value of a nitro finish.;)

Black Plaid and LSchefman like this.
  9. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

For years not only did I not believe the nitro mattered for tone, I hated the stuff because the Gibsons I had over the years were sticky, with gloopy finishes. And I posted this opinion on forums in my ranting, difficult, endless way.

I even had a couple of Collings acoustics with their nitro over acrylic base coat that weren’t sticky - I liked the tone and they didn’t offer poly. But I still wasn’t convinced.

As far as I was concerned, poly finishes were a tremendous advance, end of story. Then something happened.

The early DGTs were nitro. Playing one by chance at CME in Chicago on a visit to my daughter put paid to my earlier thinking.

There was a clearly audible difference with the early DGT; the tone was more vintage (the guitar wasn’t sticky, either), and I was converted. My PS models only made my miraculous conversion more intense.

Recent converts often make the most obnoxious proselytizers, and I certainly qualify!

I will add this, however: the recent PRS poly finishes going back to V12 are pretty damn nice finishes. I’m still going to hang onto my 2017/18 594s, despite just ordering a new McCarty.

bodia and Alnus Rubra like this.
  10. Bob Hundemer

Bob Hundemer New Member

My 1977 Martin D18 has a nitro finish and it's never been sticky. I do use the Martin polish which I think is excellent. Never leaves a residue etc.

LSchefman likes this.
  11. gush

gush I'm not a new member!!!!

WTH??? That's badassery to the fullest!

LSchefman likes this.
  12. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I had great luck with the nitro on Martins and Collings I owned, I must admit.