Nickel plating cleaner..is this safe?

Geo408

Not a new member.
hey all, forgive me if this has been discussed, but I've only seen one type of cleaner ever mentioned. I have a 2001 PRS bridge that has been in storage for a long time, and the damned NY humidity has tarnished it pretty good. I have this stuff called "Flitz", which I've used on many different metals with good results. The question is, has anyone here ever used it on a PRS bridge, and if so, is it safe? I did use a bit on the underside, and it did a nice job on it, but I want to get some more opinions before I disassemble the whole thing and go at it.
One other thing: I did email Matt in customer service, and he recommended the blue magic, so I'm just looking for a "second opinion". Thanks everybody...oh, and this is my first post.

Howdy!

I use Blue Magic, just because. A quick look at the Flitz site tells me it's suited for brass, nickel, and aluminum. Those are what you might find on a PRS, so I'd have at it.

I've used Flitz, Simichrome, Maas, Mothers, and just some good old elbow grease and 0000 steel wool. It all works well.

You can never go wrong with recommendations from PRS Customer Service.

Thank you guys, for your kind replies! Hey, it rhymes...I think I'll write a song! I can hear Tom Petty singing it now, lol! I used the Flitz, sparingly, and it did a fantastic job...tarnish all gone, no damage, and it looks brand spankin' new! Chemically, they are very similar...the Flitz is a little more expensive, hmmm, but neither one is abrasive. I am damn picky about my hardware, and my guitars in general...

Back